• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Atlanta on business

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Hello gentlemen. I'm flying to Atlanta on business in a couple of months so I've been trying to do my homework about my carry options. I've never traveled to Georgia before. The Georgia statutes are a tad difficult to get a clear picture. I'd sure appreciate some pointers, advice, cautions, etc.

I have an Arizona CCW. My understanding is that AZ now has reciprocity with GA. Am I correct in understanding that I can carry concealed or open in Georgia with my AZ CCW? Are there any hotel restrictions? I assume I can't carry in the hotel bar.

If stopped are you required to show your license to the LEO or must he request to see it?

Common places that are allowed are general shopping areas, sight seeing, museums?

Any problems in the airport as long as my firearm is boxed and meets FAA requirements?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I don't want to get in trouble but I don't want to be unarmed either.

Gary Williams

exgabrit

imported post

hello. if your arizona ccw is good in georgia, then you can open or conceal carry.
in georgia a firearms licence is open or conceal carry.
usual places are off limits, fed buildings. in july public transport will be a gun carry zone along with public parks.
any places such as grocery stores or banks signed as no-firearms can still be ok to carry into, but if asked to leave, by law you have to.

Bear-n-arms nGA

imported post

Hey Arizonatexan. I checked Arizona reciprocity and you areable to carryhere(http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/reciprocity/documents/Reciprocal_Agreements_Current.pdf)

However, open carry is reserved for Georgia firearms license holders only. You are able to conceal carry here with your CCW. Hotels are no problem. For now bars are off limits (but that will soon change), When I am stopped It depends on how I feel whether or not I inform the officer. You arent required to here. Common places are fine. I carry EVERYWHERE. As far as airports you just have to declare the firearms, keep your ammo and your firearm separate and in individually locked cases and you should befine I do get the occasional ..."you can check a gun here.... Uhhhhhhhhhhh let me call my supervisor" its OK its also a chance to educate. You should be fine and your a CCW holder. You should never be unarmed... And if you're here around the 4th of July make sure you check out centennial park for the fireworks.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Bear-n-arms nGA wrote:
open carry is reserved for Georgia firearms license holders only. You are able to conceal carry here with your CCW.

Not correct, sir.

The open carry statute is O.C.G.A. 16-11-128.
On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licenseholder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

You may read it for yourself here.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=128

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Arizonatexan wrote:
Hello gentlemen. I'm flying to Atlanta on business in a couple of months so I've been trying to do my homework about my carry options. I've never traveled to Georgia before. The Georgia statutes are a tad difficult to get a clear picture. I'd sure appreciate some pointers, advice, cautions, etc.

I have an Arizona CCW. My understanding is that AZ now has reciprocity with GA. Am I correct in understanding that I can carry concealed or open in Georgia with my AZ CCW? Are there any hotel restrictions? I assume I can't carry in the hotel bar.

If stopped are you required to show your license to the LEO or must he request to see it?

Common places that are allowed are general shopping areas, sight seeing, museums?

Any problems in the airport as long as my firearm is boxed and meets FAA requirements?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I don't want to get in trouble but I don't want to be unarmed either.

Gary Williams

When is "a couple of months?" Depending on the Governor's signature, the laws may be very different on July 1 than they are now.

For example, State Parks, mass transit, and restaurants that serve alcohol are all off limits, but will not be come July 1, pending the Governor's approval.

Has everybody reading this called the Governor?

(404)656-1776.

It takes only 30 seconds! Ask him to sign HB 89. ;)

In answer to your questions:

No requirementto show license to an LEO (even upon request).

Common areas depend upon whether there is a particular function occurring, whether alcohol is sold for consumption, and whether the building is publicly or privately owned.

No problems in airport in the situation you describe.

Bring your gun! Just study up on the laws here first. Georgia has more places off limits to carrying a firearm than any other state in the nation that actually permits carry of a firearm.

Georgia Gun Laws: http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

exgabrit

imported post

To to summarize that wonderful paragraph, if you are licensed in state-A and state-A license is valid in state-B, then anything allowable in state-B for residents is valid for state-A residents in state-B ?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

exgabrit wrote:
To to summarize that wonderful paragraph, if you are licensed in state-A and state-A license is valid in state-B, then anything allowable in state-B for residents is valid for state-A residents in state-B ?
Yes :lol:

officerjdc

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Arizonatexan wrote:

Gary Williams

When is "a couple of months?" Depending on the Governor's signature, the laws may be very different on July 1 than they are now.

For example, State Parks, mass transit, and restaurants that serve alcohol are all off limits, but will not be come July 1, pending the Governor's approval.

Has everybody reading this called the Governor?

(404)656-1776.

It takes only 30 seconds! Ask him to sign HB 89. ;)

In answer to your questions:

No requirementto show license to an LEO (even upon request).

Common areas depend upon whether there is a particular function occurring, whether alcohol is sold for consumption, and whether the building is publicly or privately owned.

No problems in airport in the situation you describe.

Bring your gun! Just study up on the laws here first. Georgia has more places off limits to carrying a firearm than any other state in the nation that actually permits carry of a firearm.

Georgia Gun Laws: http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

I have both sent an email and made a phone call to the governor regarding HB 89. I'm still holding on to the hope that he will sign it. If he does I'm planning tocelebrate it by going out for dinnerthe evening ofIndependence Day to a restaurant that has alcohol on the menu with a weapon concealed on me and drinking tea or soda with my meal.

:idea:I just thought of something. It might be a good idea tocoordinate something like that through the NRA or GeorgiaCarry.orgas a political statement if the governor signs the bill. Imagine 50,000 GFL holders all taking their families out for dinner that evening with weapons on and spending a ton of money in the state's restaurants. That might get some attention, and we could use it afterward to point out that all those weapons in restaurants didn't get a bunch of people shot.

Samuel Adams

imported post

:idea:I just thought of something. It might be a good idea tocoordinate something like that through the NRA or GeorgiaCarry.orgas a political statement if the governor signs the bill. Imagine 50,000 GFL holders all taking their families out for dinner that evening with weapons on and spending a ton of money in the state's restaurants. That might get some attention, and we could use it afterward to point out that all those weapons in restaurants didn't get a bunch of people shot.
Keep an eye on the forum at Georgia Carry. I'm sure there will be something posted.

officerjdc

imported post

Samuel Adams wrote:
Keep an eye on the forum at Georgia Carry. I'm sure there will be something posted.
You mean I'm not the first one to think of that? :cuss:

Samuel Adams

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Samuel Adams wrote:
You mean I'm not the first one to think of that? :cuss:
How silly of me. :banghead: