• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Building Case

deanf

imported post

For our purposes, it all comes down to the "other lawful purposes" exception. Self-defense is lawful, so it should follow that carrying for self-defense is a lawful purpose. I wonder why the appellant didn't argue that in the Murray case.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

deanf wrote:
For our purposes, it all comes down to the "other lawful purposes" exception. Self-defense is lawful, so it should follow that carrying for self-defense is a lawful purpose. I wonder why the appellant didn't argue that in the Murray case.
Agreed!

heresolong

imported post

Actually the court even said in their opinion that he had a valid argument in assuming that the lobby was not a prohibited area. Where he went wrong was staying to argue and get belligerent. I think that the court made the wrong decision and I could see this being overturned by the SCOTUS. He should have been found guilty of the first charge regarding the confrontation and not guilty of the second IMHO.

I would like to see the argument that legally carrying for lawful purposes is allowed, however, as another case.