• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Reaction to Open Carry

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

So I went into the Walgreens at Linwood and Prospect in KC last night to get my wife some sinus medicine on my way home from work. (about 7:30 P.M.) Now every time I have ever gone in there after work they have had a KCMO officer stationed at the entrance just inside the door. I have been in several times while OCing, and never had so much as a second glance (Not sure if it's because they figure I look professional and they know the law, or if TEEN magazine is just that enthralling) Well, last night the officer (someone I hadn't seen there before) took notice. As I walked in and walked past him I heard "Are you off duty?" I figured ok, here we go. This is the conversation as it transpired.

ME: "I'm sorry what was that sir" (I activated my recorder as I asked. always thought it seemed silly and like I was trying to get the police in trouble or something but I see the point now with his word against mine)

Officer: (he was on the phone and told whoever he would call them back) "I asked if you were off duty"

ME: "no sir"

Officer: " You have a CCW permit"

Officer: "so you are just carrying out in the open like that"

ME: "yes sir. I work in a dangerous area of town. I am unable to apply for a CCW permit until I have been a resident for 6 months. I did some research and found that it was legal to open carry a firearm if you were legally able to possess one." ( I had been practicing for this. didn't want to sound rude or abrasive if not necessary.)

Officer: (pauses and then smiles) "Good for you. I am all for people knowing their rights and the 2nd amendment."

We carried on a conversation from there about where I work, (he said he wouldn't go there without a gun either) and guns in general. I unfortunately dind't think to get his name untill I was almost home, but I dropped of a letter at the KCMO station around the corner from where I work commending the officer for being professional, courteous, and well informed"

I thought it went very well overall and wanted to post a good story about an encounter rather than all the negative ones that are so prevalent. And no, I am not saying that there aren't problems, I am just saying that not ALL police are uninformed, rude, abrasive, ego maniacs.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I always like reading a positive story about an LEO interaction. Nice to hear about the many officers who love our rights as much as we do. Good job handling the situation.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Good story. We hear alot about the negative encounters with LEOs, and it's nice to hear about the positives as well.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

It's refreshing to read of a positive encounter like that one! Huraah! Many kudos to the LEO!!!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

mmdkyoung123 wrote:
So I went into the Walgreens at Linwood and Prospect in KC last night to get my wife some sinus medicine on my way home from work. (about 7:30 P.M.) Now every time I have ever gone in there after work they have had a KCMO officer stationed at the entrance just inside the door. I have been in several times while OCing, and never had so much as a second glance (Not sure if it's because they figure I look professional and they know the law, or if TEEN magazine is just that enthralling) Well, last night the officer (someone I hadn't seen there before) took notice. As I walked in and walked past him I heard "Are you off duty?" I figured ok, here we go. This is the conversation as it transpired.

ME: "I'm sorry what was that sir" (I activated my recorder as I asked. always thought it seemed silly and like I was trying to get the police in trouble or something but I see the point now with his word against mine)

Officer: (he was on the phone and told whoever he would call them back) "I asked if you were off duty"

Officer: " You have a CCW permit"

Officer: "so you are just carrying out in the open like that"

ME: "yes sir. I work in a dangerous area of town. I am unable to apply for a CCW permit until I have been a resident for 6 months. I did some research and found that it was legal to open carry a firearm if you were legally able to possess one." ( I had been practicing for this. didn't want to sound rude or abrasive if not necessary.)

Officer: (pauses and then smiles) "Good for you. I am all for people knowing their rights and the 2nd amendment."

We carried on a conversation from there about where I work, (he said he wouldn't go there without a gun either) and guns in general. I unfortunately dind't think to get his name untill I was almost home, but I dropped of a letter at the KCMO station around the corner from where I work commending the officer for being professional, courteous, and well informed"

I thought it went very well overall and wanted to post a good story about an encounter rather than all the negative ones that are so prevalent. And no, I am not saying that there aren't problems, I am just saying that not ALL police are uninformed, rude, abrasive, ego maniacs.

GOOD JOB !!!!!!!

We are not worthy of your chillness:lol:.

@ thumbs up.

TJ

sjhipple

imported post

If you remember the officer's name, consider sending a letter to his sarge commending him on his professionalism and knowledge of the law. Things like that go into their permenant file.

Every time I deal with an officer, I always ask for their business card in case I want to follow up with anything.

Richieg150

imported post

My wife and I were taking my grandaughter,10 months old in her stroller,on a walk to the local Quick Trip to get my wife some coffee.I was,as usuall,open carrying my 40 SW99 on my hip in a Blackhawk holster.We arrived at Quick Trip just as a Lees Summit Police Officer arrived.We went in ,got her coffee,exchanged glances with the officer small talk,then left.We we cutting accross a strip mall when my wife noticed his car coming up behing us,we just kept walking until he stopped behind us.He got out ,then I turned around and started talking asking him how he was doing and what was up.At the time I had a hat that said BOARDER PARTOL on it and he asked me if I had a badge.I asked a badge for what?I told him that I didnt need a badge.He then asked about my sidearm,I calmly told him that It was my right to carry a firearm to defend myself,Lees Summit has a open carry ordinence,and my wife and my grandaughter deserved the very best of protection possible and as far as I was concerned,that was me.I then told him I had a concealed carry permit,but chose tocarry open as a crime deterent,stating that most thugs arent wanting a gun fite,they are wanting a defensless victim.By me carrying open,I hopefully wouldnt have to kill a thug,they will pass me by for a easier target.He told me he understood what I was talking about.The officer stated he had seen me before at QT,but didnt notice I was carrying,I assured him I was carrying but it was probably cooler and I had a shirt or jacket on.I showed him my CCW permit,he stated it was the first one he had seen not on the drivers license.We chatted a couple more minutes,he told me thankyou,have a nice day!I wish I would have got his badge number,I will see him again and get his badge number and send a letter to his supervisors comending him on how I was treated.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Richieg150 wrote:
My wife and I were taking my grandaughter,10 months old in her stroller,on a walk to the local Quick Trip to get my wife some coffee.I was,as usuall,open carrying my 40 SW99 on my hip in a Blackhawk holster.We arrived at Quick Trip just as a Lees Summit Police Officer arrived.We went in ,got her coffee,exchanged glances with the officer small talk,then left.We we cutting accross a strip mall when my wife noticed his car coming up behing us,we just kept walking until he stopped behind us.He got out ,then I turned around and started talking asking him how he was doing and what was up.At the time I had a hat that said BOARDER PARTOL on it and he asked me if I had a badge.I asked a badge for what?I told him that I didnt need a badge.He then asked about my sidearm,I calmly told him that It was my right to carry a firearm to defend myself,Lees Summit has a open carry ordinence,and my wife and my grandaughter deserved the very best of protection possible and as far as I was concerned,that was me.I then told him I had a concealed carry permit,but chose tocarry open as a crime deterent,stating that most thugs arent wanting a gun fite,they are wanting a defensless victim.By me carrying open,I hopefully wouldnt have to kill a thug,they will pass me by for a easier target.He told me he understood what I was talking about.The officer stated he had seen me before at QT,but didnt notice I was carrying,I assured him I was carrying but it was probably cooler and I had a shirt or jacket on.I showed him my CCW permit,he stated it was the first one he had seen not on the drivers license.We chatted a couple more minutes,he told me thankyou,have a nice day!I wish I would have got his badge number,I will see him again and get his badge number and send a letter to his supervisors comending him on how I was treated.

Blacksmith !!!!, What are you doin' Missura ???? Wife ??? You got a Girlfriend !!

Richieg150 , just kidding. Here in Utah we have a member that has a "Border Patrol" hat too. He was given a little bit gruff about it too. He goes by the name of Blacksmith here on OCDO.

TJ

tdhooge

imported post

I thought KCMO did not allow OC. maybe I was wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere you could not do that.

Tom

UTOC-45-44

imported post

tdhooge wrote:
I thought KCMO did not allow OC. maybe I was wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere you could not do that.

Tom

Hi tdhooge. Welcome to OCDO. Glad to have you. How did you find out about the site?

TJ

tdhooge

imported post

Ty, I learned about this site through a news story in our newspaper about open carry.

Great info glad it's here.

markaalford

imported post

I am a reporter here in Kansas City at the Fox station and would like to do a story on open carry.

I am a gun-owner and my brother teaches CCW in Texas and is a gun dealer, so I probably have a little different take on this issue than most journalists.

Anyone care to go on camera to be profiled?

Pleas call me on my cell.

Mark Alford

Sweet

imported post

I caught a short story on national news about Open Carry. Unfortunately, it was so quick that I can't tell you which news service it was presented on. However, the piece was very tastefully done. The reporter was very complimentarytoward the members at that particular OC meeting in Virginia.

He made the point of saying that everytime he asked someone what kind of gun they were carrying,,,NO ONE took their gun out of the holster.

He portrayed the members as being extremely well educated and well informed, and very non-aggressive in their approach to OC.

I have to tell you, I am very enthused to hear about OC laws in Kansas/Missouri.

I'm a Criminal Justice/Forensic Sciencemajor and an investigator in the private sector, and I've never heard of Open Carry before that piece was done.

I really appreciate ready most of your experiences with law enforcement stops and all of the available information about how to appropriately respond to them, in order to promote greater acceptance.

Here in Kansas it is very violent. I know a great many law officers whom I believe will be grateful to have the presence of law abiding OC citizens.

I know that in Florida, where I once lived, the presence of open carry weapons was a firm deterent to criminals.

I sure hope that OC changes the face of crime in this nation, and helps to provide for the safety of those who do not, or cannot,carry as well!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

markaalford wrote:
I am a reporter here in Kansas City at the Fox station and would like to do a story on open carry.

I am a gun-owner and my brother teaches CCW in Texas and is a gun dealer, so I probably have a little different take on this issue than most journalists.

Mark Alford

Mr. Alford, you may wish to start a new thread with your request so it gets the attention it merits. Unfortunately, I live across the state otherwise I would be most happy to help you with your article.

captainamerica

imported post

Mark,

If you do not get any responses for interviews on this website (I agree to start a seperate MO thread) I'd suggest that you make the request on missouricarry.com; even though it is the premiere website forum for concealed carry in Missouri. The reason I say this is that there are numerous spokespersons for CCW and all firearms laws that impact Missouri citizens who would likely make themselves available for your story and many members do open carry from time to time and certainly support the right to do so.

Have you heard the name Kevin Jamison here in KC (he's actually in my northland area)? He is probablythe most appropriate initial contact locally to foster dialogue and assist in your endeavors. He is a lawyer (firearms is his specialty), directly involved in the RKBA leadership (including WMSA) in Missouri and nationally, and was deeply involved with other gentlemen of similar standing in writing and lobbying for state CCW.

If you get stuck on this send me a PM or post for more assistance and I'll see what contacts with Kevin or others I can provide.

markaalford wrote:

Mark Alford