Thread: NEWS FLASH

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hat tip to David Hardy at www.armsandthelaw.com.

Excerptedfrom the Keene Free Press:

The court decision was the result of a suit against both the BATF and the IRS by Mattis and other members of the Wyoming Sheriff’s Association. The suit in the Wyoming federal court district sought restoration of the protections enshrined in the United States Constitution and the Wyoming Constitution.

Guess what? The District Court ruled in favor of the sheriffs. In fact, they stated, Wyoming is a sovereign state and the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers exceeding that of any other state or federal official." Go back and re-read this quote.

The court confirms and asserts that "the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official." And you thought the 10th Amendment was dead and buried — not in Wyoming, not yet.

But it gets even better. Since the judge stated that the sheriff "has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official," the Wyoming sheriffs are flexing their muscles. They are demanding access to all BATF files. Why? So as to verify that the agency is not violating provisions of Wyoming law that prohibits the registration of firearms or the keeping of a registry of firearm owners. This would be wrong.

The sheriffs are also demanding that federal agencies immediately cease the seizure of private property and the impoundment of private bank accounts without regard to due process in Wyoming state courts.

For the entire article, including a great Winston Churchill quote: http://tinyurl.com/2jc6ej
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Wow never thought I'd see something like an old commonlaw concept like this really exercised.

I think actually calling out the unorganized militia would surprise me more.

Post imported post

Call me skeptical, but I don't think any court, even the Supreme Court, has the muscle to enforce such a ruling on the executive branch of the federal government, which of late has been deciding for itself which court decisions it will or will not obey.

My guess is that the BATFE and other alphabet agencies will just blow this ruling right off, figuring a higher court will overturn it anyway.

Maybe I'm just being a Debbie Downer...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    SNIP Wow never thought I'd see something like an old commonlaw concept like this really exercised.
    Yes!!!!

I almost added the dancing banana to my OP. (Its not that I feel thenews somehow falls short--it doesn't. Its that I hate that dancing banana. )
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Call me skeptical, but I don't think any court, even the Supreme Court, has the muscle to enforce such a ruling on the executive branch of the federal government, which of late has been deciding for itself which court decisions it will or will not obey.

My guess is that the BATFE and other alphabet agencies will just blow this ruling right off, figuring a higher court will overturn it anyway.
    Good point. I'm not agreeing with you. I'm just saying its a good point.

It seems atfirst glance that it means the sheriffs can enforce their will in their sphere just as well as the fed agents in their own sphere. Meaningif the fed agents step over a line,say taking advantage of some vagueness, it seems a bold sheriff could force them into line. Meaning "(click), (rack)" "No, you are not taking that property." Or,"Yes, you willallow us to inspect those records.""Or else." I mean, what else would over-reaching federal agents respect, if they don't respectrights and wantto twist law.

Force vs force.

Both sides, it seems to me have a monopoly on force.

Post imported post

Yes, but the sherrif is outgunned, and if his department takes any federal money he may be over a barrel.

Our system of federalism is very, very sick these days.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Yes, but the sherrif is outgunned, and if his department takes any federal money he may be over a barrel.

Do me a favor. Can you save the demoralizing comments for a Weds evening instead of the weekend? :P

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

How about a dancingapple instead? (Sorry)

I can't see the image. Just a little white rectangle with a red "x" in the middle.

Maybe its just as well, what with your joyful contributions to the thread. :P

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:

Do me a favor. Can you save the demoralizing comments for a Weds evening instead of the weekend? :P
    Hey, I decided to stay in on a Friday night to watch Battlestar Galactica, and now I'm wasting the balance of my evening being an internet nerd...

As for the picture, some of the images I post here are visible by me and nobody else for some reason. It's big and obnoxious, so I'll just edit it out anyway.

Post imported post

This is AWESOME:celebrate

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Hey, I decided to stay in on a Friday night to watch Battlestar Galactica, and now I'm wasting the balance of my evening being an internet nerd...
    Well, please go back to watching Battle Star Galactica, or find a thread where you can post something encouraging. :P

Why don't you find something uplifting to watch. Say The Sound of Music. Or, My Fair Lady. Or, Star Wars Episode IV. :P

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    SNIP This is AWESOME
    You posted that damn banana just to annoy me didn't you? :P

Wait, no. Tomahawk put you up to that didn't he?:P

Post imported post

Seems too me that Wyoming is good place to be at.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    SNIP This is AWESOME
    You posted that damn banana just to annoy me didn't you? :P

Wait, no. Tomahawk put you up to that didn't he?:P
    :PCan you say CONSPIRACY ? :P

TJ

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    :PCan you say CONSPIRACY ? :P

EJ
    OK, OK. You banana guys win. I give up.

Post imported post

"the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official."

J. Edgar Hoover must be spinning in his grave!

My prediction: The feds won't appeal this in Wyoming, where apparently the constitution still means something. They will find a statist lackey judge in a much less free jurisdiction and a case where they can be the good guys (a corrupt sheriff with federal charges, maybe) and get a different ruling and then bring the case, because of the conflict of law, to the Supreme Court.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Let's see. Boston T. Party's book, "Molon Labe" has its setting in Wyoming, doesn't it. Sounds to me like our friends in that fine state are simply exercising not only their rights, but the original design of the Founding Fathers. Which was meant to put the bulk of the power in hands of the states and the people and NOT the federal government. So what they are doing is not only good and proper, it is the way the country was intended.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!