• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEWS FLASH

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hat tip to David Hardy at www.armsandthelaw.com.

Excerptedfrom the Keene Free Press:

The court decision was the result of a suit against both the BATF and the IRS by Mattis and other members of the Wyoming Sheriff’s Association. The suit in the Wyoming federal court district sought restoration of the protections enshrined in the United States Constitution and the Wyoming Constitution.

Guess what? The District Court ruled in favor of the sheriffs. In fact, they stated, Wyoming is a sovereign state and the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers exceeding that of any other state or federal official." Go back and re-read this quote.

The court confirms and asserts that "the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official." And you thought the 10th Amendment was dead and buried — not in Wyoming, not yet.

But it gets even better. Since the judge stated that the sheriff "has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official," the Wyoming sheriffs are flexing their muscles. They are demanding access to all BATF files. Why? So as to verify that the agency is not violating provisions of Wyoming law that prohibits the registration of firearms or the keeping of a registry of firearm owners. This would be wrong.

The sheriffs are also demanding that federal agencies immediately cease the seizure of private property and the impoundment of private bank accounts without regard to due process in Wyoming state courts.

For the entire article, including a great Winston Churchill quote: [url]http://tinyurl.com/2jc6ej[/url]

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Wow never thought I'd see something like an old commonlaw concept like this really exercised.

I think actually calling out the unorganized militia would surprise me more.

Tomahawk

imported post

Call me skeptical, but I don't think any court, even the Supreme Court, has the muscle to enforce such a ruling on the executive branch of the federal government, which of late has been deciding for itself which court decisions it will or will not obey.

My guess is that the BATFE and other alphabet agencies will just blow this ruling right off, figuring a higher court will overturn it anyway.

Maybe I'm just being a Debbie Downer...

Debbie%20Downer.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
SNIP Wow never thought I'd see something like an old commonlaw concept like this really exercised.

Yes!!!!

I almost added the dancing banana to my OP. (Its not that I feel thenews somehow falls short--it doesn't. Its that I hate that dancing banana. :))

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Call me skeptical, but I don't think any court, even the Supreme Court, has the muscle to enforce such a ruling on the executive branch of the federal government, which of late has been deciding for itself which court decisions it will or will not obey.

My guess is that the BATFE and other alphabet agencies will just blow this ruling right off, figuring a higher court will overturn it anyway.

Good point. I'm not agreeing with you. I'm just saying its a good point.

It seems atfirst glance that it means the sheriffs can enforce their will in their sphere just as well as the fed agents in their own sphere. Meaningif the fed agents step over a line,say taking advantage of some vagueness, it seems a bold sheriff could force them into line. Meaning "(click), (rack)" "No, you are not taking that property." Or,"Yes, you willallow us to inspect those records.""Or else." I mean, what else would over-reaching federal agents respect, if they don't respectrights and wantto twist law.

Force vs force.

Both sides, it seems to me have a monopoly on force.

Tomahawk

imported post

Yes, but the sherrif is outgunned, and if his department takes any federal money he may be over a barrel.

Our system of federalism is very, very sick these days.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Yes, but the sherrif is outgunned, and if his department takes any federal money he may be over a barrel.

Do me a favor. Can you save the demoralizing comments for a Weds evening instead of the weekend? :):p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
How about a dancingapple instead? (Sorry)

animated%2Bapple%2B2.gif

I can't see the image. Just a little white rectangle with a red "x" in the middle.

Maybe its just as well, what with your joyful contributions to the thread. :D:p

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Do me a favor. Can you save the demoralizing comments for a Weds evening instead of the weekend? :):p

Hey, I decided to stay in on a Friday night to watch Battlestar Galactica, and now I'm wasting the balance of my evening being an internet nerd...

As for the picture, some of the images I post here are visible by me and nobody else for some reason. It's big and obnoxious, so I'll just edit it out anyway.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Hey, I decided to stay in on a Friday night to watch Battlestar Galactica, and now I'm wasting the balance of my evening being an internet nerd...
Well, please go back to watching Battle Star Galactica, or find a thread where you can post something encouraging. :D:p

Why don't you find something uplifting to watch. Say The Sound of Music. Or, My Fair Lady. Or, Star Wars Episode IV. :D:p

Thundar

imported post

"the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official."

J. Edgar Hoover must be spinning in his grave!

My prediction: The feds won't appeal this in Wyoming, where apparently the constitution still means something. They will find a statist lackey judge in a much less free jurisdiction and a case where they can be the good guys (a corrupt sheriff with federal charges, maybe) and get a different ruling and then bring the case, because of the conflict of law, to the Supreme Court.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Let's see. Boston T. Party's book, "Molon Labe" has its setting in Wyoming, doesn't it. Sounds to me like our friends in that fine state are simply exercising not only their rights, but the original design of the Founding Fathers. Which was meant to put the bulk of the power in hands of the states and the people and NOT the federal government. So what they are doing is not only good and proper, it is the way the country was intended.