• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC in The City of Angeles - residential area

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Folks - you need to come up with a new term for OC if you are in incorp. areas and carrying unloaded - I don't know what the term might be, but such a term is needfed or people will thnk it's legal to OC in LA!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Folks - you need to come up with a new term for OC if you are in incorp. areas and carrying unloaded - I don't know what the term might be, but such a term is needfed or people will thnk it's legal to OC in LA!
Since you've decided to define "OC" as only including loaded carry, maybe you could also be the one to create the new terminology for us? :p

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mike wrote:

Creating a new term will not change the perception among gunownersthat unlicenced carry of any kind in California is legal.

I suppose we could define some terms-

California Carry (Type 1)- Lawful carry (unloaded) of a firearm according to PC12025 (f), openly in a belt holster.

California Carry (Type 2)- Lawful carry (unloaded) of a firearm in a locked, fully enclosed case according to PC626.9 and PC12026.1 (exemption from criminal concealed carry).

But I really dont think these terms change anything. Observers are still unaware of the legality of what this activity is, regardless of what we call it. All they see is a firearm on someone's hip if it is carried exposed. Now will we have to explain to them that this isnt 'open carry' because the firearm isnt loaded? This also doesnt put the police any more at ease- even when we tell them "it isnt loaded"...

I just fail to see the point in making this distinction between 'open carry' and whatever you want to callwhat we are practicing.

Opus109

imported post

I just got an OWB holster that I purchased from eBay. One thing I am not clear on...if I want to carry a full magazine, MUST I place the magazine in plain view, or may I carry it in my pocket? Seems like my "spider-senses" are telling me to carry it in plain view.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Decoligny

imported post

Opus109 wrote:
I just got an OWB holster that I purchased from eBay. One thing I am not clear on...if I want to carry a full magazine, MUST I place the magazine in plain view, or may I carry it in my pocket? Seems like my "spider-senses" are telling me to carry it in plain view.

Any advice will be appreciated.

There has been some debate on this. However I would err to the side of caution. In People v. Hale (1974) the court said that it regards a concealed magazine as the equivalent to a concealed firearm; as it's an "essential component of the firearm".

If an LEO is familiar with this case law, then you could end up arrested for a PC 12025 violation that may or may not be upheld in court.

I for one do not want to be a test case.

A speedloader for a revolver, on the other hand, is not a part of the firearm, so that could be carried in a pocket legally.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/8457.html

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Mike wrote:
Since you've decided to define "OC" as only including loaded carry, maybe you could also be the one to create the new terminology for us? :p

OK, here's a straw man:

1. Open carry - unconcealed carriage of a loaded handgun.

2. California carry - unconcealed carriage of an unloadedhandgun where any loaded magazines or also unconcealed.

cato2

imported post

Legally carried in compliance with Ca. Law in three places yesterday. Got a new cell phone at an AT&T store in south Ventura County. Then drove back to LA County where I visited a shoe repair place and my dry cleaners.

OCed strong side with two spare loaded mags. No problems or reactionsand business was conducted as usual. There were no customers in any of the businesses.I thendrove home.Went outfor the usual evening walk with the family around the neighborhood. Didn't see anyone outand about otherthen some car traffic. Unusually cloudy and cold for this time of year (June gloom is early).

J.A.G.

imported post

if in the event for whatever reason you are pulled over while open carrying, are you supposed to inform the officer? If perhaps he doesn't see or notice it, does it make a difference?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

J.A.G. wrote:
if in the event for whatever reason you are pulled over while open carrying, are you supposed to inform the officer? If perhaps he doesn't see or notice it, does it make a difference?
I don't think this should be discussed in someone else's thread, and it is off topic. If you want to start another thread to ask your question I would be happy to answer it.

cato2

imported post

Ok, back in the saddle again. UOC 1911cross draw with one mag (separate exposed pouch). Tape recorder was already on (exposed pouch)and the cell phone (exposed pouch)was set to call my wife's phone. Itold her not to answer so any call would be recorded by voice mail and make it impossible for any recording to disappear (funny we should fear the cops more then criminals while obeying the letter of the law - well not so funny - very sad state of affairs).

So I took a 30-45 minute walk with the family (kids road bikes)last night around the neighborhood (7 PM-sun was just going down and visibility was good) . Saw LOTs of families out with kids playing, walking, riding.Again lots of hellos and no issues (not that I want any).

I really think OC is not an issue foranyonebut those officials who take an over eager approach to their perceived "duty" to keep all safe all the time through enforcement of usless blanket prohibition laws or who view such carry by commoners as an affront to their authority.

I'mapprehensive when going out the door but as soon as I'm outside it's avery natural and free feeling.

Got home and listened to the tape. So cute to hear the kids voices as they warn of approaching cars and talk to the people we encountered. I think I'll keep it!!!

Well 'till next time....May God bless America and may Liberty reign O'r her again! And my God bless our politicians and police (though they know not what they do sometimes).

Carry on!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Very glad to see you back at it, and glad to hear it was a non-event, as usual.

Your voice mail recorder idea reminds me of something I proposed a while ago, but failed to follow up on. One member of the Free State Project (in New Hampshire) set up a phone-in recording system. They call it PORC411 (which I believe is also the local phone number if you dial the letters and numbers). The computer records your call, and upon termination of the call it automatically sends the audio out via e-mail to a list of 'subscribers.' This is a great way to rally the troops in a hurry, as well as memorialize the audio in several secure locations almost instantaneously.

I see no reason that we couldn't have this system in place here. I'll try tonight to get in contact with someone to see what it would take to set this up. In light of the recent spate of infringements upon our rights I think this could prove invaluable.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am not completely positive, but all you would really need is a modem, sound card, internet connection.

Maybe we can get ahold of the free staters'? They are most likely willing to help us set one up. But for ease of convenience, perhaps toll-free...

Army

imported post

LeagueOf1607 wrote:
I'mapprehensive when going out the door but as soon as I'm outside it's avery natural and free feeling.
Exactly! I begin to get a tad nervous while assembling my carry gear, take a few deep breaths, then tuck in the Serpa and 1911. But as soon as I step out the door...*poof*....the sweat dries up, the jitters are gone, and I'm a happy camper once again.

Still haven't convinced my Wife that I should carry when we go to places together.....someday.............someday :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

UOC sounds OK... but CA-UOC would be definitive for CA. I only have one 'open' mag pouch for my 1911. 'Prob'ly be a good idea to leave it open if I happen to cross into Kommiefornia after being drugged, abducted by aliens, or become delusional in the desert 'n somehow end up on the wrong side of the Colorado River. ('Cause that the only way I'll ever visit...) ;)

cato2

imported post

Drove the family up to the "Pirate Fair" at Lake Casitas in Ojai. UOCed on the wayup there (didn't stop anywhere) - 1911 cross draw with one exposed mag in a belt pouch. Didn't UOC at the event as I hadn't researched the Ventura Codes as the area is some kind of special wilderness preserve or park area and I wasn't sure who had jurisdiction ( A state entity or the county) Although there were plenty of flint locks, swords and daggers being carried in every which way.

UOCed in Ojai for dinner at some Mexican Restaurant - no one batted an eye - we were there about 45 minutes. Drove home and fueled up at a 76 Station. Walked inside to prepay cash. Came back in after pumping to buy a drink and looked at the magazine rack for a few minutes. There was a long line as the place was packed with Sunday travelers. No issues or problems.It was as if carrying was no big deal (as it should be).

Another weekend carry to chalk up in the win column for FREEDOM and LAWFUL CARRY