• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC vs movies

danbus

imported post

I was just thinking...

If we take a practical outlook with movies and OC, what movies wouldn't be movies if OC came into play? I think it would be excitingto hear what movies would never be if OC was involved.

I will start -

Inside Man - if 2-3 were OCing, I doubt they would have "robbed" that bank that day.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

danbus wrote:
I was just thinking...

If we take a practical outlook with movies and OC, what movies wouldn't be movies if OC came into play? I think it would be excitingto hear what movies would never be if OC was involved.

I will start -

Inside Man - if 2-3 were OCing, I doubt they would have "robbed" that bank that day.

Hey,I've thought of that I would like to see movies with Ocing in it. Nice to not being alone in this thinking.

TJ

Tomahawk

imported post

Die Hard would have been a different story if the employees at Nakatomi Towers were OC'ing...

Deliverance would be a lot less memorable and disturbing if Ned Beatty's and John Voight's characters were OC'ing...and Dick Saslaw would have had to come up with a different hillbilly slur in that elevator of his!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well most horror movies would be about 5 minutes long with more OCers.

Then the flipside is what movies wouldn't be the same without OC. Tombstone comes to mind.

Tomahawk

imported post

longwatch wrote:

Then the flipside is what movies wouldn't be the same without OC. Tombstone comes to mind.

Yeah, pretty much any western. Star Wars, also. Who can imagine Han Solo not OC'ing?

Does anyone know of movies set in modern times which feature private citizens OC'ing? I only remember that awful anti-gun made-for-TV film back in like the late 70s, but OC is never seen in movies. Even CC is rare.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. But i am talking about a "girly", "mushy" show. A show in which you would NOT...OC typically. I know we expect it in Western Shows and any general Action Show.

TJ

Tomahawk

imported post

Let's not forget Firefly.

nathanfillion1.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. But i am talking about a "girly", "mushy" show. A show in which you would NOT...OC typically. I know we expect it in Western Shows and any general Action Show.

TJ

I'll bet that evil Nazi in The Sound of Music would have left Capt. Von Trapp alone if Julie Andrews had been OCing. :)

I'll bet Ingrid Bergman would have gotten out of Casablanca faster if she had been OCing. But, Rick Blaine just would not have looked cool OCing. It just wouldn't work. Sam, maybe. Oh, and Ugarte (Peter Lorre) wouldn't have been dragged from Rick's Cafe Americain so easily if he had been OCing. Gunned down, yes. Dragged screaming, no. Of course, we'd have missed that memorable desperation in his voice, "Rick!Rick!...."

I'll bet Olivia de Haviland wouldn't have gotten smooched nearly as quick by Errol Flynn in Captain Blood if she had been OCing, so it can't really fit in this movie.Now, if Governor Willoughby had been OCing when Capt. Blood caught up with his ship, it would have looked dashing. Of course, any Errol Flynn movie with swords is automatically an OC movie. I'm talking about OCing a pistol.

Robin Hood with Errol Flynn just wouldn't have been right if he'd OC'd a pistol. No place to do it with the tights. Maid Marion would have looked kinda funny OCing with the big skirt, but maybe.

Lets see. There was plenty of OC in Gone With the Wind. Of course, one of the more dramatic moments is when Scarlett O'hara momentarily OC's up the stairs, then transitions to CC (behind her dress), the goes to low ready just before blasting the evil, leering Yankee.

Oh! Wait a minute. How about this picture? Audrey Hepburn OCing in Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Or, ....yes....wait for it. BO DEREK OCing during that beach-run sequence in THE PERFECT TEN!!!

Tomahawk

imported post

Didn't Angelina Jolie OC in Tomb Raider?

And speaking of adventure movies set in the 20th century or later, (and coming back to Harrison Ford), Indiana Jones OC's.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

nathanfillion1.jpg
I love Firefly. And I love their props! So many wonderful guns! It's crazy, 500 years and another solar system away and they are still using AK's along with lasers!

Gotta love Zoe's mare's leg too...
And Jayne's collection....
They dig out some of the oddest weapons. Like in the pilot episode where the Alliance officer is trying to make an arrest I still can't figure out what pistol he had. Some sort of .32 I think... anyway I think the guns of Firelfly would probably justify their own website...

Erus

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

nathanfillion1.jpg
I love Firefly. And I love their props! So many wonderful guns! It's crazy, 500 years and another solar system away and they are still using AK's along with lasers!

Gotta love Zoe's mare's leg too...
And Jayne's collection....
They dig out some of the oddest weapons. Like in the pilot episode where the Alliance officer is trying to make an arrest I still can't figure out what pistol he had. Some sort of .32 I think... anyway I think the guns of Firelfly would probably justify their own website...

Greatest series no longer on the air. ever. Guns of firefly?? How about this:

http://www.fireflyfans.net/referencelist.asp?s=weapons

Tomahawk

imported post

Erus wrote:

Well, this is what it says about the revolver in the above photo:
Mal uses a modified Taurus .38 cal revolver. Because he has been seen to fire more than six shots (the capacity of a Taurus .38) without reloading, it has been theorized that the large gadget bolted on the left side of the gun is some form of autoloader.

Seems to me that his revolver looks a bit big for a .38. Perhaps they're saying the prop was a Taurus .38?

Erus

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Erus wrote:

Well, this is what it says about the revolver in the above photo:
Mal uses a modified Taurus .38 cal revolver. Because he has been seen to fire more than six shots (the capacity of a Taurus .38) without reloading, it has been theorized that the large gadget bolted on the left side of the gun is some form of autoloader.

Seems to me that his revolver looks a bit big for a .38. Perhaps they're saying the prop was a Taurus .38?

Yeah, doesn't look like a .38 to me either.. I did some poking around on the site and found:

When it comes right down to it Firefly is a western. That's why you need guns... thats why Mal carries a weapon based on the old Colt SAA, Jayne actually carries one, and Zoe has an lever action repeater. Modern firearms... and WW2 helmets like the ones used in the battle scenes in Serenity evoke a mood - and they are cheap. When we see a bunch of soldiers squatting in the mud with M1 pots on their heads we subconciously evoke thoughts of WW2 movies. When somebody levels a six-shooter at someone - we think "western."

http://www.fireflyfans.net/reference.asp?r=686

*shrug* either way.. it's a pretty cool show, and I agree a more specific firearms of firefly site would be cool. Josh Whedon supports a lot of firefly sites, and I would guess he has the same longing for the show some of us do. I bet he'd help out with the "guns" question if we could find out how to contact him.. a google search for "tv's firefly" has over 2.6 million hits... Must be some better info out there than the link I posted.

Also found this on imdb site, under trivia:

Some of the weapons used in the series were present-day weapons, which were picked based on their somewhat futuristic look. No modifications were made by the prop department to either disguise them or make them more look more futuristic. Alliance soldiers are seen carrying Enfield L85 rifles, which have been standard issue in the British Army since the early 1980s. The Browncoats are seen using Heckler & Koch G36 rifles, which are standard issue in the German Army.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/trivia

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Didn't Angelina Jolie OC in Tomb Raider?

And speaking of adventure movies set in the 20th century or later, (and coming back to Harrison Ford), Indiana Jones OC's.
Yes, but they aren't girly, mushy movies.

Lemme see.

Oh, yes. What if the two teens in Blue Lagoon had been OCing? That would have been cool. In fact it would have been the only worthwhile part of the movie. (No, I'm not a big fan of mushy, girly movies.)

It would have been hot if Kate Winslet had OC'd in Titanic, especially during the sketch scene. Nothing like turning a CC'd lady's garter gun into an OC'd gunjust by disrobing, eh?

Now, what was that movie? Oh, yes. The Beach.Maybe if ol' Leonardo DiCaprio had been OCing, he'd have felt bold enough to challenge the drug growers. Then they'd have shot him and that daggone movie could have ended sooner.

Oh! How about this one? On Waldon Pond. What if Katherine Hepburn had been OCing? Bet ol Henry Fonda would have been a little more careful who he got cranky with.

ArmedTiger

imported post

Swordfish, Cadillac Man.

Swordfish as soon as they busted in all of thowe people OCing would have gunned them down faster than they could say "Cat in The Hat."

If Robin Williams and company had been OCing in Cadillac, Man Tim Robbins would not have been a jealous husband through most of the movie. He would have been a dead jealous husband.

(Feeble attempt at humour. My shooting is much better.)

BTW. Forgive me, but I have never heard of Firefly. >.>

ArmedTiger

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Since no one else has mentioned it, yet, I'll say it:

United 93 would have been a very different movie if the passengers had been OC'ing.
Three terrorists with box cutters versus over 100 gun caryying passengers. ~thinks~ Hmm. It is a no win situation. Goodnight terrorists and good bye good movie. It would be too short of a miovie thus no good. <.<

isaiah

imported post

longwatch wrote:

Maybe, if the victims would shoot instead of waiting for the gun to be knocked out of their hands and if the bg couldn't take a magazine of .45's in the chest without flinching.

Sa45auto

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Yes, but they aren't girly, mushy movies.

???????

What the heack are "girly, mushy movies"?

I can't talk about what I haven't seen.