Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UW Seattle Members?

Post imported post

I know there are a few of us that attend UW Seattle. I was wondering who we all were. Maybe we could grab lunch on the ave sometime since the new qtr just started. Let me know.

Regards,
    Brian

Post imported post

I'm available between 9:30 am and 12:20 pm on Tuesdays (my lab starts at 12:30pm in Bagley). Stealth Potato works down in the Health Sciences building so what we could do is eat down at the Health Sciences cafeteria, which is a really nice place to eat.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Hey, I'm over at SPU four days a week right now. If you guys decide to get together, call me (PM sent to both of you with my number).
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

No PM in my inbox...
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    I'm available between 9:30 am and 12:20 pm on Tuesdays (my lab starts at 12:30pm in Bagley). Stealth Potato works down in the Health Sciences building so what we could do is eat down at the Health Sciences cafeteria, which is a really nice place to eat.
    I can't do T/TH at those times. I have class from 830-330. M/W I have classes from 130-330.

Post imported post

I'm down for lunch on the Ave. Just pm me and let me know when and where. Let's have an open carry lunch on the Ave.... :-D

Post imported post

Well, on Monday, I only have an hour between two classes, but get out at 12:30pm. Wednesday I have one hour between classes all day until 4:30pm after a lab (at which time I just want to go home). Thursday I have two hours open between 10:30am and 12:30pm. Friday my classes end at 10:30am and I stick around for a bit doing homework.

Perhaps a Friday lunch?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Yep, another UW student here!

To be honest, I've never even seen the Health Sciences cafeteria. That building scares me, so I just do my best to get to and from work without getting lost. (And this is my third year working in that building! :shock Another downside would be the fact that OCing in the cafeteria would probably be a bad idea...

I like the Ave, though. This Friday would probably be a good time for me if I can get out of work around lunchtime. Shouldn't be a problem, hopefully.

Post imported post

Yeah, when I wrote about the cafeteria, I wasn't thinking clearly (obviously) since it's still on campus. There's no way I'd want to OC on-campus. At least, not until they pass a law (like the one Stealth Potato and I testified on) that prevents higher education institutions from passing rules against CPL-holders from carrying legally.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

I'm free pretty much any afternoon after 12:20 and have a couple free hours earlier on some days. An OC lunch would be fun, and I'd do my best to make it.

Post imported post

So, is everyone okay with Friday, then? Let's try to get a day/time nailed down so we can make plans.

Post imported post

Friday for lunch sounds good. Now, where do you all want to eat?

Post imported post

I'd say somewhere on The Ave, but by Friday, the restaurants could all be different. :P

I honestly don't really know what's good on The Ave these days.

I'm also okay with the U-village or places around it, like Burgermaster.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

I think if lunch is on the ave we would be around UW students. U-village would be anybody. So, I guess the question is whether or not we want to answer questions about the on campus carry group.

Post imported post

At this time, I don't think we really want to identify ourselves as UW students to other UW students. At least, not until Pam Roach's bill gets pushed through to make it universally legal to carry with a CPL on-campus. I realize we at the UW are forunate to have wording in our Student Code of Conduct to help us fight any disciplinary action brought against us, but I'd rather not fight any to begin with.

So, maybe do Burgermaster? They have great burgers and second-to-none milkshakes/malts; they're so thick they should issue them with a spoon. You end up looking like you're sucking a golf ball through a garden hose when you use a straw, but I like to eat (yes, eat, not drink) the first bit of my Tom&Jerry (tastes like eggnog) shake with my french fries.

I'm open to other options, but let's have it down to one location by at least Thursday morning. I'll likely be whereever we choose from 11:30 on until maybe 3 or 4pm; I need to do a little homework before heading down after my class ends at 10:30.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    At this time, I don't think we really want to identify ourselves as UW students to other UW students. At least, not until Pam Roach's bill gets pushed through to make it universally legal to carry with a CPL on-campus. I realize we at the UW are forunate to have wording in our Student Code of Conduct to help us fight any disciplinary action brought against us, but I'd rather not fight any to begin with.

Hes got a great point there. Lets see how UW takes the SCCCempty holsterprotest coming on 4/21-4/26. I'm actually the SCCC campus Leader for UW Seattle and I'm working with the College Republicans at UW on organizing a table for handouts and what not. I'll try to keep everyone posted on it.

This Friday doesn't work out too well for me. Go ahead and plan it and I'll try my hardest to make it. I usually go back to Federal Way on Thursdays and come back on Saturdays. My girlfriend goes back home on the weekends (Renton) so she drives me back home when she leaves UW.

Post imported post

The thing I dislike most about the empty holster protest is that if it's your only handgun and your only holster, you're S.O.L. if you need it. Last time it happened, my holster was busy doing other things.

As for Friday, I figured that would be the easiest for most people to make, since it's the start of the weekend. Didn't realize your weekend started on Thursday. :-p

I wonder if anyone else commutes from Federal Way or more South that would be willing to give you a ride up to Seattle?...
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Sorry I won't be able to make it. Fridays are the one weekday I'm not at SPU (I commute across the ferries). I'll try to make it next time.

Regarding SCCC, Facebook now has a group specifically for WA students who are involved. Anyone who wants to keep up, please join, especially as it makes getting announcements (upcoming legislation, letter/email writing, as well as the protests) out much easier. You can find it at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22843772848. Please message me once you join if you are a campus leader so I can make you an officer (so you can send messages).
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

I just joined up.

Here's the "fixed" link that will actually work: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22843772848
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

If this Friday doesn't seem to be working, maybe we could hold off until Monday. How does that work for everyone?

As a side note, has there ever been a full OCDO monthly lunch in the U District? After the encounter that someone had on the Ave (at a book store, don't remember who, exactly) it seems that the Ave would be a good place for a full monthly lunch get together. Also, that would include some non-students, which could be good also.

Post imported post

The bookstore encounter was me. Just a couple of SPD bike cops, apparently responding to a 911 call. They were polite enough, but they still tried to claim OC was illegal, though I'm pretty sure they knew otherwise.

Anyway, yeah, Monday might be more convenient. I'm free starting at about 12:30 to 1:00, so any time after that would work for me.

Post imported post

Monday would work for me but I'm not free until 3:30. Let me know if everyone is still down for a lunch.

Is anyone here interested in participating in the SCCC empty holster protest? I'm currently in the process of working out plans for the event and wanted to know who would like to participate. (EG answer questions, for Q n A, hand out flyers,give a short speechetc.)

Post imported post

Yeah, I'll definitely be participating. I'd love to help out in any way possible!

Post imported post

Wonderful, I will let you know what you can do to help us. I'll still working with the other group for events for the week. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
    Brian

Post imported post

Monday I'm free after 12:30pm. Maybe we get together around 1pm, eat, then sit around over coffee/beverages and chat until 4:30pm and allow Brian to show up and have some food/drink?... Just a suggestion.

As for the empty holster protest... I REALLY want to help out..... But; as I said before, my holster will be busy doing "other things". I'm not sure about you guys, but I sure feel 'naked' going out without it now that I normally carry on a daily basis.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast