• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UW Seattle Members?

krazichinaman

imported post

I know there are a few of us that attend UW Seattle. I was wondering who we all were. Maybe we could grab lunch on the ave sometime since the new qtr just started. Let me know.

Regards,
Brian

just_a_car

imported post

I'm available between 9:30 am and 12:20 pm on Tuesdays (my lab starts at 12:30pm in Bagley). Stealth Potato works down in the Health Sciences building so what we could do is eat down at the Health Sciences cafeteria, which is a really nice place to eat.

eBratt

imported post

Hey, I'm over at SPU four days a week right now. If you guys decide to get together, call me (PM sent to both of you with my number).

krazichinaman

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I'm available between 9:30 am and 12:20 pm on Tuesdays (my lab starts at 12:30pm in Bagley). Stealth Potato works down in the Health Sciences building so what we could do is eat down at the Health Sciences cafeteria, which is a really nice place to eat.
I can't do T/TH at those times. I have class from 830-330. M/W I have classes from 130-330. :banghead:

just_a_car

imported post

Well, on Monday, I only have an hour between two classes, but get out at 12:30pm. Wednesday I have one hour between classes all day until 4:30pm after a lab (at which time I just want to go home). Thursday I have two hours open between 10:30am and 12:30pm. Friday my classes end at 10:30am and I stick around for a bit doing homework.

Perhaps a Friday lunch?

Stealth Potato

imported post

Yep, another UW student here!

To be honest, I've never even seen the Health Sciences cafeteria. That building scares me, so I just do my best to get to and from work without getting lost. (And this is my third year working in that building! :shock:) Another downside would be the fact that OCing in the cafeteria would probably be a bad idea...

I like the Ave, though. This Friday would probably be a good time for me if I can get out of work around lunchtime. Shouldn't be a problem, hopefully.

just_a_car

imported post

Yeah, when I wrote about the cafeteria, I wasn't thinking clearly (obviously) since it's still on campus. There's no way I'd want to OC on-campus. At least, not until they pass a law (like the one Stealth Potato and I testified on) that prevents higher education institutions from passing rules against CPL-holders from carrying legally.

carhas0

imported post

I'm free pretty much any afternoon after 12:20 and have a couple free hours earlier on some days. An OC lunch would be fun, and I'd do my best to make it.

just_a_car

imported post

I'd say somewhere on The Ave, but by Friday, the restaurants could all be different. :p

I honestly don't really know what's good on The Ave these days.

I'm also okay with the U-village or places around it, like Burgermaster.

quentusrex

imported post

I think if lunch is on the ave we would be around UW students. U-village would be anybody. So, I guess the question is whether or not we want to answer questions about the on campus carry group.

just_a_car

imported post

At this time, I don't think we really want to identify ourselves as UW students to other UW students. At least, not until Pam Roach's bill gets pushed through to make it universally legal to carry with a CPL on-campus. I realize we at the UW are forunate to have wording in our Student Code of Conduct to help us fight any disciplinary action brought against us, but I'd rather not fight any to begin with.

So, maybe do Burgermaster? They have great burgers and second-to-none milkshakes/malts; they're so thick they should issue them with a spoon. You end up looking like you're sucking a golf ball through a garden hose when you use a straw, but I like to eat (yes, eat, not drink) the first bit of my Tom&Jerry (tastes like eggnog) shake with my french fries.

I'm open to other options, but let's have it down to one location by at least Thursday morning. I'll likely be whereever we choose from 11:30 on until maybe 3 or 4pm; I need to do a little homework before heading down after my class ends at 10:30.

krazichinaman

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
At this time, I don't think we really want to identify ourselves as UW students to other UW students. At least, not until Pam Roach's bill gets pushed through to make it universally legal to carry with a CPL on-campus. I realize we at the UW are forunate to have wording in our Student Code of Conduct to help us fight any disciplinary action brought against us, but I'd rather not fight any to begin with.
Hes got a great point there. Lets see how UW takes the SCCCempty holsterprotest coming on 4/21-4/26. I'm actually the SCCC campus Leader for UW Seattle and I'm working with the College Republicans at UW on organizing a table for handouts and what not. I'll try to keep everyone posted on it.

This Friday doesn't work out too well for me. Go ahead and plan it and I'll try my hardest to make it. I usually go back to Federal Way on Thursdays and come back on Saturdays. My girlfriend goes back home on the weekends (Renton) so she drives me back home when she leaves UW.

just_a_car

imported post

The thing I dislike most about the empty holster protest is that if it's your only handgun and your only holster, you're S.O.L. if you need it. Last time it happened, my holster was busy doing other things.

As for Friday, I figured that would be the easiest for most people to make, since it's the start of the weekend. Didn't realize your weekend started on Thursday. :p

I wonder if anyone else commutes from Federal Way or more South that would be willing to give you a ride up to Seattle?...

eBratt

imported post

Sorry I won't be able to make it. Fridays are the one weekday I'm not at SPU (I commute across the ferries). I'll try to make it next time.

Regarding SCCC, Facebook now has a group specifically for WA students who are involved. Anyone who wants to keep up, please join, especially as it makes getting announcements (upcoming legislation, letter/email writing, as well as the protests) out much easier. You can find it at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22843772848. Please message me once you join if you are a campus leader so I can make you an officer (so you can send messages).

carhas0

imported post

If this Friday doesn't seem to be working, maybe we could hold off until Monday. How does that work for everyone?

As a side note, has there ever been a full OCDO monthly lunch in the U District? After the encounter that someone had on the Ave (at a book store, don't remember who, exactly) it seems that the Ave would be a good place for a full monthly lunch get together. Also, that would include some non-students, which could be good also.