• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I figure by the time I find a good price for my .45 ACP the shipping will eat me alive. Is there someone local that reloads and sells or has bulk on hand that is recommended?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One can usually find some decent prices at the WAC gunshow. Not as good as online, but no shipping charges. I beleive there is one this weekend in Puyalup and next weekend in Monroe.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Why not roll your own? I've got everything but dies to do my own. I paid about $90 for a Lee kit that has everything from press to scale. Just add dies.

amlevin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Why not roll your own? I've got everything but dies to do my own. I paid about $90 for a Lee kit that has everything from press to scale. Just add dies.

A big +1 on Rolling Your Own. I just did a quick count of ammo for my CAR-15. I was able to build over 4500 rounds for just over $600 out of pocket expense. Compare that to buying new (even cheap or surplus) at prices averaging over $400 per thousand. I figure that I would have at least $1600 invested in the same number of rounds of surplus military from either central america or europe.

Same for pistol. I am just about to start a marathon session and build somewhere between 6,000 and 9,000 rounds of 9mm.

OK, so it did cost me about $1200 for my reloading setup (Dillon XL-650 with casefeeder and support items) but I am able to load "free" brass to my spec's for a fraction of the cost of New as well as cranking out 1,000 rounds every 1-1/2 hours.

There is nothing worse than being down to your last thousand rounds or so.:what::what:

Machoduck

imported post

amlevin, you don't do youself justice. At $400 per 1000, 4,500 rnds would have cost $1800. Your components cost $600. $1800 minus $600 = $1200. You just paid for you your whole Dillon rig with that run of 4,500 5.56 mm rounds. Kewl.

MD

amlevin

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
amlevin, you don't do youself justice. At $400 per 1000, 4,500 rnds would have cost $1800. Your components cost $600. $1800 minus $600 = $1200. You just paid for you your whole Dillon rig with that run of 4,500 5.56 mm rounds. Kewl.

MD

I know prices have been going up. I guess I am just out of touch with current price because I quit checking a while ago.

BTW, I still have another 2500 pieces of empty brass waiting to be filled up. Good Rainy Day Project.