• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Maps

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think a couple maps could be a great resource for newcomers.

I think the easiest and most obvious would be a map of counties that do/do not allow loaded OC in unincorporated areas.

Another thing that would be great, but I don't actually expect to see, would be a map of the entire state (zoomable like google maps or whatever) with every K-12 school and its 1000-ft radius mapped out, clearly showing places to avoid for any area.

Obviously the latter would be a rather large amount of work, but the former would be quite doable. Perhaps such a list already exists, and I just haven't found it. It could be merely a list of counties, but ideally it would be a map showing incorporated areas and non-permissive counties in red, and unincorporated areas in loaded-OC-permissive counties in green.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Researching local prohibitions in each county could be a huge undertaking. Isn't that something like 60 counties? I think we've collectively researched maybe 5 so far... and those counties had the codes listed online.

Definitely a worthwhile project. One that will take a lot of hours to establish and some ongoing effort to maintain.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Researching local prohibitions in each county could be a huge undertaking. Isn't that something like 60 counties? I think we've collectively researched maybe 5 so far... and those counties had the codes listed online.

Definitely a worthwhile project. One that will take a lot of hours to establish and some ongoing effort to maintain.
There are 58 counties. The websites are already listed in a post I made, so we have the means to research the particulars of the majority of the counties. The really hard part is playing amateur cartographer. I do have a Calif map depicting the counties- just have to color in the 'no go' zones.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

marshaul wrote:
I think a couple maps could be a great resource for newcomers.

I think the easiest and most obvious would be a map of counties that do/do not allow loaded OC in unincorporated areas.

Another thing that would be great, but I don't actually expect to see, would be a map of the entire state (zoomable like google maps or whatever) with every K-12 school and its 1000-ft radius mapped out, clearly showing places to avoid for any area.

Obviously the latter would be a rather large amount of work, but the former would be quite doable. Perhaps such a list already exists, and I just haven't found it. It could be merely a list of counties, but ideally it would be a map showing incorporated areas and non-permissive counties in red, and unincorporated areas in loaded-OC-permissive counties in green.

In researching some test counties, I didnt find any that specifically prohibited loaded exposed carry-I believethis is in part, because this falls in the state legislatures purview as the state has already provided for loaded and exposed carrry licensing in 12050. Yay preemption.

However, there are counties that have prohibited possession on county property as with Alameda County- in places like their fairgrounds. Unless there is some exemption for licensees, I believe such prohibition is a restriction that could be 'challengeable' under state preemption. (Not that I am recommending it.)

The other reoccuring restriction that I see is that of ordinances prohibiting discharge within a particular area or within a certain set distance from structures. These prohibitions combined with wording in 12031, make loaded carry illegal in those areas unless you are exempted.

So the maps depicting the prohibitions would be the following;

Map indicating counties that specifically ban loaded and exposed carry- All green.

Map indicating counties that prohibit discharge a set distance from buildings- All red.

Map indicating counties that prohibit possession on county property- Varigated, but not necessarily helpful.
Now the map that Im sure we would all like to see- One that depicts all1000 foot school zones, public streets and highways, incorporated city limitsand all discharge prohibited areas as laid out by local ordinance (including 'safe zones' with set distances from occupied structures.) would be super labor intensive, and showthat in most populated areas loadedand exposed carrywas a no-no.The upside is that it would show about 80 percent ofCalifornia in the green- its just not in areas where people live or congregate.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Now the map that Im sure we would all like to see- One that depicts all 1000 foot school zones, public streets and highways, incorporated city limits and all discharge prohibited areas as laid out by local ordinance (including 'safe zones' with set distances from occupied structures.) would be super labor intensive, and show that in most populated areas loaded and exposed carry was a no-no. The upside is that it would show about 80 percent of California in the green- its just not in areas where people live or congregate. 

These thoughts echo my own basically to the letter. It would be a huge undertaking, but if it could be accomplished it would make it so easy for a newcomer to undertake open carry to the fullest extent allowed within the law.

sjalterego

imported post

I actually think it is a bad idea to try to create a statewide or countywide etc. map.

Thecurrent law regarding school zones only applies to situations where the person carrying the firearm "knows or reasonably should have known" was within the 1000 foot school zone.

I think it is reasonable for most people to know where the schools are in their immediate home area so you should all probably make sure you do know where such school zones are and not carry within them. I doubt actual ignorance of the location of a school in your local neighborhood would be an effective excuse as most jurors will probably think such ignorance is unreasonable.

However, I think ignorance of the location of schools beyond your immediate neighborhood is reasonable. No jury is going to think it reasonable that you must know the location of every school in the county.

However, if we were all to create a map and post it here of all the schools located within a particular state/county. It becomes much easier for a prosecutor to argue that you should have known where a particular school zone is. the prosecutor can argue that there is an easily accessible, database listing all schools zones and that it is a reasonable duty to impose that all citizens before they carry a firearm should look up their planned itinerary to make sure they don't enter any school zones.

I don't agree with this (I don't agree with the Gun Free School Zones Acts in general) but you can certainly see how plausible ignorance is very helpful and creating a system of constructive knowledge would be very harmful to our position.