• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Phila and Suburbs - 2008 Edition

lprgcFrank

imported post

Well USairways is going for a record canceling my flights :-(

Good OC day today (Saturday).
AVIS car rental return in Phila - had a good conversation with the guy checking in the cars. Asked me if I was a bounty hunter (first time I heard that). Explained I was just a regular citizen exercising my 2nd amendment rights. Turned out he's pro 2nd amendment and was disappointed to learn he needed his LTCF to OC in Philly. He was very grateful to get a copy of PA Patriot's Firearms rights pamphlet. (gotta print some more of those).

No issues:
Terminal B/C baggage claim at the Philly Airport, waiting for the airport train, train to 30th street, waiting at 30th st, Dunkin Donuts at 30th St, Train to Wayne, Radnor Cleaners, CVS, Braxtons, or having lunch in Freehouse with my wife.

Had an interesting encounter with some women at a Larouche table by the Wayne post office, but they didn't notice the 1911 - I noticed their Al Gore is a "Cereal killer" sign and burst out laughing...

Today was a sidewalk sale day in Wayne and they had historical actors walking around in colonial garb. My wife and I walked around Wayne for a while before and after lunch and I had a snappy answer all set up to use if they noticed the 1911 - but alas - they like almost everyone else - didn't notice.

If asked about my firearm I was going to say that I was an 'Associator'. Which is the colonial name for someone who was armed with their personal weapons to defend their personal liberty (PA didn't have a Militia - it had armed Associations with members being called Associators. Benjamin Franklin started these in the 1740's.)
....Interesting facts courtesy of the book The Founders View of the Right to Bear Arms by David E Young. (I highly recommend it)

C420sailor

imported post

I ran into a Radnor PD officer the other day in Garrett Hill Pizza while OC'ing my G21. I greeted him, and he simply looked at me, noticed my sidearm, and returned my greeting. I was expecting him to quiz me a little and ask for my LTCF, but I don't think he even thought twice about it.

lprgcFrank

imported post

C420sailor wrote:
I ran into a Radnor PD officer the other day in Garrett Hill Pizza while OC'ing my G21. I greeted him, and he simply looked at me, noticed my sidearm, and returned my greeting. I was expecting him to quiz me a little and ask for my LTCF, but I don't think he even thought twice about it.
I've had several dozen encounters with the Radnor PD and I've always found them to be well trained, professional and courteous. They are one of the good things about living in Radnor.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Forgot to add this the other day.

Had an uneventful OC through Philly on Wednesday - Airport, Suburban Station, Train to Wayne. One humorous moment in Suburban Station when a guy saw the 1911 and exclaimed Oh &^%* (poop):what:and ran off the train.

I liveblogged it on pafoa.org:
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/24190-liveblogging-oc-philly.html

Also on Thursday had an uneventful late lunch with PA Patriot, Mrs. Patriot and their children where PA Patriot and I OC'd in TGI Fridays on City Ave in Philly. :)

lprgcFrank

imported post

Interesting OC Friday.
Started off OC'ing in OH and then through WV into PA to fly out of Pittsburgh. No issues OC'ing in parking garage or baggage claim areas of Pittsburgh airport.

Got to Philly and lo and behold when I got to the bag claim - there was my bag and right by the exit 4 Philly PD....:shock:
So I went into the restroom - got the 1911 out of my checked bag and holstered up. Spare mags in the pocket carriers - PAFOA flyer in my shirt pocket (just in case) and made the LTCF more accessible in my wallet said a quick prayer and headed out of the bathroom.....
walked right up to the 4 PD - gave them a nod and walked out to wait for my daughter to pick me up. I stood in front of them outside the baggage claim for 25 mins - no issues with the PD or with the rest of the crowd waiting for their rides.....:lol:

tdyoung58

imported post

You mean you weren't shot on sight by Phillies Finest, I'm shocked :what:

Not really, just shows what most people who open carry already know, only the good guys OC

lprgcFrank

imported post

Very true. I OC in Philly almost every week - no issues.

Today OC'd in Rosemont, Strafford, Wayne and walked around the outside of the courthouse in Norristown (Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties without any issues. I was walking with my wife when we were in Norristown and passed several LEO's - just a friendly nod to each other and we all went about our business.

bluetrane2028

imported post

I bet the guy that ran off the train a few days ago was a criminal, and he thought you were a cop! You probably made everyone's ride home that much safer. I also have a LTCF in PA, but I've never actually carried. Is there anything I should know before venturing out in public with my firearm? Walking about in Philadelphia these days doesn't feel like the most safe thing to do without a firearm...

lprgcFrank

imported post

bluetrane2028 wrote:
I bet the guy that ran off the train a few days ago was a criminal, and he thought you were a cop! You probably made everyone's ride home that much safer. I also have a LTCF in PA, but I've never actually carried. Is there anything I should know before venturing out in public with my firearm? Walking about in Philadelphia these days doesn't feel like the most safe thing to do without a firearm...

I always carry when I'm in Philly and chose OC or CC depending on circumstance - when I'm going to Jefferson Hospital I CC - when I'm running errands or when I fly - I OC. You have your LTCF so go for it. Doesn;t matter if it's OC or CC - don;t worry about printing. Just stay out of federal buildings and courthouses. My rule of thumb is that if they use metal detectors - no OC or CC. Just go about your business. The more you carry the more it becomes comfortable and second nature.

When you do carry - let us know!

imperialism2024

imported post

bluetrane2028 wrote:
Don't walk into courthouses, or onto any property with a federal "shield" sign on it. :)

pa_res

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

Don't walk into courthouses, or onto any property with a federal "shield" sign on it. :)

You sure about that? Now, I haven't attempted in many years as I moved out of the city proper, but I've checked my gun in federal buildings, traffic court, and pa courthouse. It was my understanding that these types were required to provide a secure storage facility if you were legit.

That said, I've been to the courthouse in norristown and checked both my sidearm and my knife before entering. You receive a ticket stub/claim check. The process was the same a decade ago when lived in Philly (there was no carry permit for Phila Cty but my permit from Lancaster County did the job).

Note that I immediately present my CCW to whoever is present BEFORE presenting any type of weapon!

jackdied

imported post

Great thread! I grew up in Wayne (New Eagle Elementary, Conestoga HS, Troop Devon 50) and never saw anyone open carrying. I can't say no one did but I certainly never noticed.

For other posters: Wayne might be the Soccer Mom Capital of the world. The R5 line mentioned in the above posts is known as "The Main Line" and holds the last of the Rockafeller Republicans. So when NPR wants to find man-on-the-street Republicans who disagree with conservatives they hit the Main Line (Bryn Mawr, Haverford .. Paoli).

Is the Wawa mentioned the bigger one in Wayne or the smaller one in Strafford?

(not a regular, just passing through and saw this thread)

lprgcFrank

imported post

Actually both - but usually the bigger one on 30.

No issues OC'ing today in Chili's, Acme, K-Mart, Starbucks, Do It Best Hardware, Radnor custom cleaners and my kids pediatricians office.

imperialism2024

imported post

pa_res wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

You sure about that? Now, I haven't attempted in many years as I moved out of the city proper, but I've checked my gun in federal buildings, traffic court, and pa courthouse. It was my understanding that these types were required to provide a secure storage facility if you were legit.

That said, I've been to the courthouse in norristown and checked both my sidearm and my knife before entering. You receive a ticket stub/claim check. The process was the same a decade ago when lived in Philly (there was no carry permit for Phila Cty but my permit from Lancaster County did the job).

Note that I immediately present my CCW to whoever is present BEFORE presenting any type of weapon!
Whoops, I misspoke. By all means carry into the courthouse, just make sure to stop at the firearms check on the way in. You are correct that courthouses are required to provide such facilities for those carrying firearms.

lprgcFrank

imported post

I've not been keeping up here - so here's the last couple weeks - no issues OC'ing in Rosemont (photo drivers license center), Strafford, Wayne and walked around the outside of the courthouse in Norristown without any issues. I was walking with my wife when we were in Norristown and passed several LEO's - just a friendly nod to each other and we all went about our business.

No issues at Philly Airport Terminal F for 25 minutes, Starbucks, Wawa, K-Mart, Acme, CVS, Paoli Diner, Chili's, Sunoco, Do It Best hardware, and walking around Wayne. I was expecting issues as with the heat I was dressed in a t-shirt & shorts - but no problems.

The PAFOA firearms rights flyer came in handy last night. I ran into a lapsed LTCF holder and we discussed his getting his LTCF back and getting more active to protect firearm rights as we are concerned about a single party congress and president.

On the topic of being concerned about the upcoming elections - my OC'ing might be interesting today as Obamamessiah is coming to the middle school in Radnor today - that's about a half mile from my house. Should be lots of new faces in town for this. I think walking the dog will have to take me in that direction. I'll need to carry multiple copies of the PAFOA flyer to help his disciples understand firearms rights.:quirky

lprgcFrank

imported post

Had a good walk through Wayne OC'ing - but I missed Obamamessiah's grand entrance to Radnor middle school by about 5 minutes. They were just reopening the streets as I got to the intersection by the front of the school when I got there. The 2 Radnor PD, 2 State troopers and 2 secret service guys that were in front of the entrance kept an eye on me as I walked by - but I just kept going about my business.

lprgcFrank

imported post

More Philly airport OC today.

No issues in Terminal F baggage claim or in walking from terminal F to terminal D. Passed 3 Philly PD in terminal E - strong side - just a glance at me. Passed a Philly PD riding a Segway through the new walkway between terminals E and D - had a brief chat about how he liked the Segway. No issues on the train platform or on the train to 30th st.

One guy on the train from 30th St to Wayne noticed the 1911. He asked me if I was a LEO and he was very surprised when I said no. I gave him one of the PAFOA fliers and we had a good chat about firearms rights. He was very appreciative.

lprgcFrank

imported post

interesting OC today. I was wearing an Orange Club Gitmo shirt (and a 1911) and in Home Depot in Frazer. One of the guys walking the floor complimented me on my shirt. He said that the Supreme court was wrong on the detainee decision and he liked my shirt. I said they got one right and he agreed that the Heller decision was a good one. We had this conversation with him on my strong side and my wife agreed that he never noticed the 1911. It amazes me that people can be so oblivious of an openly carried firearm.