• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Phila and Suburbs - 2008 Edition

lprgcFrank

imported post

Going to start my journal of OC'ing for 2008 here....

As a warm up to attending The Great Eastern OPEN CARRY Luncheon MEET & GREET in Palmyra PA today I had an interesting adventure while carrying my 1911 in an OWB holster.

Thanks to Useless Air (USAirways) who canceled my flight from Canton OH (Again) I had to drive home in a rental car yesterday - so I needed to take it back...

AVIS car rental at Phila. Airport - no one noticed
Terminal B/C baggage claim at Phila. Airport - no one noticed
Standing waiting for the train at the airport platform - no one noticed
On train to Suburban Station in downtown Phila. - conductor noticed and kept an eye on me - but nothing said
Walking around Suburban Station and waiting on the platform for the train - no one noticed
On train to Wayne - conductor noticed and kept an eye on me - but nothing said
Walking home from train station through downtown Wayne - no one noticed

Now for the fun part - Wawa in Wayne - I've OC'd there hundreds of times with no issues - I'm getting a cuppa and having a conversation with a neighbor about our daughters when this starts...disapproving mother ('DM') with 2 boys about 5 and 7 years old - conversation is the best of my recollection...

DM: in a loud voice so everyone in the store can hear...Isn't there some law that says that you can't have a gun out in the open like that
Me: Nope - this is perfectly legal
DM: That's Disgusting
Me: That's why America is great - you can have your opinion and I can keep on doing what I'm doing
DM: So you feel that you need a weapon to protect yourself (Condescending tone)
Me: I'm the only one responsible for my safety
DM: Well what if one of these kids grabs that away from you and hurts someone
Me: Not going to happen
DM: Why Not
Me: I'm very aware of who is around me and I will definitely notice if someone attempts to touch my firearm -
DM: Well as you're flirting with that woman you don't seem to be paying attention
Me: So I can't have a conversation with one of my neighbors...Do you notice that my elbow is resting on top of the firearm - kind of hard to move the firearm with out me noticing
DM: Guns are evil - most people are killed with guns
Me: No guns are just inanimate machines - just like cars - and last time I checked - there were far more people killed by cars than firearms. Firearms aren't evil - but people can be evil
DM: Well it just isn't right
Me: Well then vote for Obama as he doesn't think I should have the right to do this either
DM: mumbling - I'm not sure who I'm voting for
Me: I do want to compliment you for noticing that I have a firearm - most people don't notice
DM: I didn't notice my boys did
Me: Good job boys - you noticed something unusual and then told your mother - Good job
DM: Well can't WaWa say that you can't come in here
Me: They could
DM: I'm calling Wawa
Me: Go ahead - call the police if you want to - what I'm doing is perfectly legal
DM: I'm going to write the President of WaWa and tell him to keep the guns out of these stores.
Me: Go ahead - I vote with my dollars - If Wawa bans firearms, they lose my business - I only spend my money where I'm welcomed with my firearm and I know lots of other people that feel the same way
DM: Harrumphs out of the store.
Clerk: Grinning broadly - Nice job defending your position
DM: (outside store) - .....boys - remember that guns are evil
Me: (not resisting the chance for the last word) - No People can be evil - Guns are just machines like cars.

Camiel rest stop on turnpike - no one noticed
Great Eastern Carry Meet and Greet - about 40 people OC'ing - most I've ever seen at one time other than competitions.... lots of positive notice and excellent conversations with a fine group of folks. Learned new things and met people I'd be proud to call friends.:D

tes151

imported post

The scariest part about that discussion is that there are DMs everywhere. And even scarier than that is that they are allowed to wander around without supervision, and are permitted to vote. :what:

Flintlock

imported post

tes151 wrote:
The scariest part about that discussion is that there are DMs everywhere. And even scarier than that is that they are allowed to wander around without supervision, and are permitted to vote. :what:
Even scarier than that is the fact that she is spewing her anti-gun rhetoric to her children and will no doubt raise them as haters and fear mongers of firearms, theiruses, and theneeds of a 2nd amendment in our constitution.

The other thing I was thinking about it that this is Pennsylvania... I believe I read a stat that suggested that there are more permit holders in that Commonwealth than any other state in the Union. Also, there are a whole bunch of hunters as the deer population is second-to-none. My point is that it is unlikely that she had never been exposed to firearms in her whole life in that state at least at some point and still has the fear and hate driven into her blood.

I pray for the future of our constitutional heritage with people like this out there. Train your young ones well, the fight will not end with us.

lprgcFrank

imported post

The Mayor Nutter of Phila signed a bunch of gun laws this week that are clearly illegal due to State Preemption. One of them is a law limiting magaxine capacity.:cuss:

So Yesterday I switched from the usual OC'd 1911 to my Glock 17 with loaded magazines that are beyond the Philly limit, to 'take my second amendment for a walk' exercise.

I planned the same routine as last week - drop off rental car at airport - train to suburban station and then Wayne and then walk home .

Very uneventful...
WaWa - same clerk as last week - he recognized me - glanced at my hip - broke out into a big smile and said Glock? I said yes G17 - he said very nice - I like those.

Avis car rental, Philly airport terminal D this time 30 mins walking around waiting for airport train, R1 train to suburban station, walking around Suburban station for 45 mins - Dunkin Doughnuts in Suburban station, R5 to Wayne - walk home through Wayne - only the conductors noticed on the trains. A couple people noticed but kept about their business and nothing was said.

I didn't see any LEO's the entire trip.....

Aran

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
tes151 wrote:
Even scarier than that is the fact that she is spewing her anti-gun rhetoric to her children and will no doubt raise them as haters and fear mongers of firearms, theiruses, and theneeds of a 2nd amendment in our constitution.

The other thing I was thinking about it that this is Pennsylvania... I believe I read a stat that suggested that there are more permit holders in that Commonwealth than any other state in the Union. Also, there are a whole bunch of hunters as the deer population is second-to-none. My point is that it is unlikely that she had never been exposed to firearms in her whole life in that state at least at some point and still has the fear and hate driven into her blood.

I pray for the future of our constitutional heritage with people like this out there. Train your young ones well, the fight will not end with us.
Don't worry, I was raised by a pair of New York Democrats in Western NY who demonized guns for 18 years of my life (Okay, 22. My grandmother still keeps it up.) and I'm now an everyday OCer and weekly (Okay, monthly this time of year...) visitor to the local range.

Sometimes we manage to break the mold they stick us in ;)

lprgcFrank

imported post

Sunday...

OC'd yesterday Commerce Bank in Wayne - no issues

Bagel Factory in Wayne - ran into the youth minister and youth leaders from our church out for brunch. They know I carry all the time - but this is the first time they saw me OC'ing (I usually CC in church) - Minister turned around to say Hello - my 1911 was right at eye level about 18" from her face - her eyes got real wide - and she looked at me and I just smiled and said hello. Lots of surprised looks from some of the other leaders - but nothing was said to me... My wife chatted with the assistant director for about 5 minutes and then we went on our way.....

Monday...
Another uneventful OC day
Radnor cleaners, Sunoco, CVS, Wawa -

nova

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
SNIP
Now for the fun part - Wawa in Wayne - I've OC'd there hundreds of times with no issues - I'm getting a cuppa and having a conversation with a neighbor about our daughters when this starts...disapproving mother ('DM') with 2 boys about 5 and 7 years old - conversation is the best of my recollection...
SNIP
I love how when you corner them with logical reasoning the jump to another thought like "guns are evil" :)

lprgcFrank

imported post

Well US AIRWAYS finally got me home on Friday night - so today's OC excursion with the usual 1911... and my suitcase....

Philly Airport terminal F, E and D walking through all of these on my way to the train platform. Waiting on the terminal D platform for 20+ minutes with 8+ TSA folks and 15 other folks, 20+ minutes on the 30th Street station platform with 35+ people waiting for the R5 and the train rides. No issues -

I saw at least 3 people take notice. An older TSA person gave me the hairy eyeball and I just smiled at her and stood there waiting for the train at the airport. One guy - I think is the parent of one of my daughter's friends noticed and kept up a nervous chatter with the person sitting next to him till I got off the train in Wayne. One woman wearing a Hillary T-shirt on the 30th street platform walked by me 3 times and kept glancing at my 1911 - but hey - I'm just waiting for the train - just like her.....

And to think that Hillary was at my kids high school today.....

Another uneventful OC experience with my 1911. Saturday afternoon in Wayne...

Went out to get gas for the lawnmower and saw that the Obama supporters were on the SW corner of the main intersection in Wayne and the Hillary supporters were on the NW corner. This I had to see up close and in person.

I walked around these guys and through Wayne for 30+ minutes and into Real Pizza and Wawa to buy a bottle of water and a sandwich and no one noticed or commented. While waiting to cross the street I had a great chat with a couple young women who noticed that everytime someone honked their horn - both the Hillary and Obama groups thought it was for them.....

C420sailor

imported post

Good to hear that we have a fellow OC'er in the area! I'm over in West Conshy, and I just started to OC. Got a few strange looks, that's about it. If you see a young guy with a short haircut OC'ing a Glock 21SF, that's me!

lprgcFrank

imported post

2 weeks in a row USAIRWAYS got me home on Friday night:)

Another mostly uneventful OC night in Philly

Philly Airport terminal F baggage claim, E and D walking through all of these on my way to the train platform. Waiting on the terminal C/D platform for 15 minutes with about 20 folks - 1 TSA guy noticed - glanced at me a couple times but didn't say anything. 20+ minutes on the 30th Street station platform with 40 people waiting for the R5. 2 guys noticed - both seemed to like the fact that someone was armed on the platform. They looked nervous coming up on the platform, but seemed to relax once they noticed the 1911. A group of Muslim women got on the train at Bryn Mawr - they were all chatting - When I got up at Wayne - it was like a switch was thrown and all conversation stopped. The conductor looked at the 1911 and then at me and just shrugged.

C420sailor

imported post

I went to the beer store in Conshohocken today with my G21SF on my hip. Walked in, got a case of beer, went to the counter. The workers noticed it, as did the cashier and one female customer. They didn't seem flustered or anything. I think that most people just think "he must be a cop." Walking out I got a couple of wide eyes from a group of kids sitting in their car. Oh well.

Another successful day OC'ing...

lprgcFrank

imported post

Mostly uneventful OC today. Radnor Cleaners - guy behind me in line was staring at the 1911 - but the clerk and I chatted - she knows I OC and has no problems with it. Wawa - saw my favorite clerk (from the Disapproving Mom episode) and chatted with him - got him some basic info on IDPA shooting since I was on my way to the IDPA match at LPRGC.

CVS picking up a prescription - lady behind me in line kept looking at me and the 1911. I saw my son (he works there) and arranged to pick him up from work tonight - got the prescription and left.

Interesting encounter in Starbucks in Wayne - I'm wearing my IDPA shirt with Safety Officer embroidered in 3" letters on the back - guy asks me where I'm a Safety officer - I say for the IDPA organization - he asks is that like a game warden - I tell him no - just for regular people that like to shoot pistols. I explained some of the stages of the IDPA match I'd just left - he said - but you're a cop right - I told him - no - just a regular citizen - he shook his head and walked away.....

lprgcFrank

imported post

Good OC experience tonight - went to my regular Wawa to get a sandwich. 2 Cabrini college students noticed the 1911 and started a very positive conversation.

Student 1 - pardon me - but you're not dressed like a cop and you have a gun in the open
Me - you're right - I'm just a regular person out taking my second amendment for a walk.
Student 1 - so that's legal?
Me - absolutely - anyone over 18 who is not a convicted felon can openly carry a firearm in Pennsylvania
Student 1 - Wow - I didn't know that - you're the first person I've ever seen do this.
Me - I want to compliment you for noticing - most people don't notice - I also want to compliment you for speaking to me
Student 2 - He had more balls than me
Me - well - someone openly carrying a firearm in a holster is most likely a good guy
Student 1 - How do I learn more about firearm laws
Me - great website - www.pafoa.org is a great resource for a Pennsylvania resident.
Student 1 - I'll check it out

We also spent some time talking about the students for concealed carry on campus. They did not notice any one wearing an empty holster last week.

C420sailor

imported post

The other day my roommates and I went out to get some chow and a couple of fish for our tank. I decided that instead of taking the G26 (which I carry concealed, IWB), I'd take the G21SF out for some OC. We hit up Wendy's in Devon. One of the employees seemed a little nervous, and this one customer was eyeing me the whole time. Every time I glanced over he had his eyes on me. He gave me the off duty cop vibe, and he sat in a tactically advantageous position. I just smiled and went on my merry way. We went into the pet store (Petco or Petsmart, can't remember) and the employees were quite friendly, no issues. We then went to Captain Nemo's Aquarium store in East Norriton and once again, everyone was friendly, and no one really noticed. It's good to see that stores are generally weapons friendly.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Well USairways screwed me again - cancelled my flight and I had to drive home from OH.....

OC'd in 3 rest stops on the turnpike with no negatives - got a couple of puzzled looks in the Oakmont stop -

Got a big grin from a guy in a car with VA plates and Ron Paul stickers and messaging all over his car when I gassed up at the Somerset plaza...

No issues in Avis rent a car, terminal B of the Philly airport - I saw one LEO while I was walking through the B/C baggage claim - but he passed me weakside and I don't think he noticed the 1911. Waiting for the train - I helped an older oriental couple with where they were going - I know that they noticed the 1911 - as they stood behind me talking for a few minutes before approaching me with a question - I guess the firearm made me approachable :)

No issues at 30th street station, Getting a drink at Dunkin Donuts, or on the train to Wayne or on the walk through Wayne or at Wawa. I did have a great conversation about colleges and college basketball in the area (the train runs by 10 colleges between 30th street and Devon) with a bunch of folks (12-15) that are performing in the Rodeo at the Devon Horseshow this weekend. They were very friendly - many of them singing old show tunes on the train - Most of them noticed the 1911 and just gave me a nod.

C420sailor

imported post

A couple of days ago I threw the big Glock on and went riding. I covered about 50 miles through the Main Line area. I got quite a few double takes from people, especially while waiting at traffic lights. I do have to say that no one cut me off, and everyone gave me plenty of room. Nice side effect, being on a motorcycle and all.

lprgcFrank

imported post

C420sailor - Outstanding! I've gotta run into you one of these days.

Have you checked out the ruckus from the OC dinner last night - check it out on paopencarry.org http://tinyurl.com/6y5g2a

Good OC afternoon today - no issues OC'ing on the Radnor Trail, food shopping in Genaurdi's or at the Do it Best hardware store. Had a good OC encounter having lunch at Minella's diner - Older black couple (70's) sitting in the both next to us. As my wife and I were leaving this is my best recollection of the conversation:
Woman: I see that you have a gun on your belt there.
Me: Yes Ma'am
Woman: So are you some kind of cop?
Me: No Ma'am, just a regular human being exercising my rights
Woman: So it's legal to have a gun out in the open like that?
Me: Yes Ma'am, outside of Philly anyone can openly carry a firearm on foot without any type of license
Women: I never knew that
Me: Thank you for noticing and not thinking I was a threat by speaking to me
Woman: Well you were sitting next to me and the gun was right there
Me: You'd be surprised at how many people don't notice. I was at the airport this morning and took the train to 30th street station and then back to Wayne and most people I saw didn't notice.
Woman: Thank you for speaking with me and God Bless you
Me: God Bless you as well Ma'am