Thread: DC Metro Fox 5 News story on open carry/VCDL tonight at 10PM!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Other news stories possible this weekend as concentrated open carry dining occurs in Senator Dick Saslaw's district (35th) and surrounding Northern Virginia to embarass Saslaw over his remarks on the Senate fllor that nobody open carries in Norther Virginia restaurants.

Post imported post

I just saw a Fox 5 commercial with you and JS, can't wait to see it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Me too! I'm going to record it. Someone else will probably post it before me, but I will keep it on my DVR.

Post imported post

Somebody PLEASE make sure to post this up for those of us who aren't local.

Post imported post

I thought it was a nice balanced story. Mike, no OC?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

It was a decent story. Only the reporter incorrectly stated that permit holders were the one making the statement when they stated he didn't have a permit...

Post imported post

The media rarely get the details right. I am happy if it is not anti biased.

Post imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
    I found other videos from Fox 5 news at 10 on YouTube. So here is this one. It is borderline Copyright having it there - maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeR9LKDtQws

Post imported post

"Feel the need to flaunt their weapons"?---stupid reporter.

And why do they interview an 18 year old? Ifind it humorous that they compare the limited life experience of an 18 year old with the decisionmaking of a governor. Hmmm......funny, both are living in their own world and believe nothing bad will happen around themor to them.

Post imported post

That was a pretty fair piece (surprising for statist Fox news). If anything, their choice of an 18-year-old to voice the con opinion was a nod in our direction.

Nobody is really going to take an 18-year-old seriously, and, in my opinion, that report gave the impression that our side is the one with a head on its proverbial shoulders.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
    "Feel the need to flaunt their weapons"?---stupid reporter.

And why do they interview an 18 year old? Ifind it humorous that they compare the limited life experience of an 18 year old with the decisionmaking of a governor. Hmmm......funny, both are living in their own world and believe nothing bad will happen around themor to them.

I heard the reporter say that permit holders say OC'ers "Feel the need to flaunt their weapons". But it was a reasonably balanced report and actually depicted our side in a positive light.

Oops.. I stand corrected. In the intro to the report, the male reporter made two comments, the first one in error. First he said permit holders... and next he made comment about flaunting their weapons. His first comment sends out the message that one cannot open carry a firearm without a permit.

Another error in the story. The 18 girl interviewed in the car mentioned if she were going to a bar and people were there carrying guns.... Well good luck doing this in Virginia because she is dead wrong. There are no bars in Virginia!

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

The reporter was accurate and noted the "irony" of the open carry requirement - the news caster made the sharp comments about "flaunting rights," not very professional.

Post imported post

I liked the wide shot with the ABC store in the background and just over the interviewee's head. To me it struck as ironic as ABC is a major party against CC in VA restraunts.

Post imported post

The 18 girl interviewed in the car mentioned if she were going to a bar and people were there carrying guns.... Well good luck doing this in Virginia because she is dead wrong. There are no bars in Virginia!
    And if I'm not mistaken, isn't 21 the drinking age in Virginia anyway?

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    The 18 girl interviewed in the car mentioned if she were going to a bar and people were there carrying guns.... Well good luck doing this in Virginia because she is dead wrong. There are no bars in Virginia!
    And if I'm not mistaken, isn't 21 the drinking age in Virginia anyway?
    Ya... This is true. I guess she is thinking ahead when she plans to go to a bad in DC.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    The reporter was accurate and noted the "irony" of the open carry requirement - the news caster made the sharp comments about "flaunting rights," not very professional.
    This is deliberate. The word, "flaunt" conveys a somewhat negative and almost sinister meaning. Had he used the word, "display" or "advance" or something similar, the meaning would have had a more positive projection. As I said, this is deliberate on the part of newscasters and reporters and comes down from station management. Read John Stossel's two books.

Another example is this. How many times do you hear a reporter use the term "gun control activists"? The term, "activist" to today's crowd conveys the impression of an involved individual just like "environmental activist". You are not likely to hear "gun rights activists" or "gun proponent activists".

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    This is deliberate. The word, "flaunt" conveys a somewhat negative and almost sinister meaning. Had he used the word, "display" or "advance" or something similar, the meaning would have had a more positive projection. ....snipped
    Ya.. I caught that too.... It sets the tone for the viewer.... And flaunting something has never been a good thing.

The segmentappeared neutral unless you paid attention to the host.

Post imported post

I'm so glad I'll be 19 at the end of the month. Maybe then people will take me seriously .

But then again I'm not your average 18 year old idiot, and I OC

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:
    Phssthpok wrote:
    I found other videos from Fox 5 news at 10 on YouTube. So here is this one. It is borderline Copyright having it there - maybe.

thanks for the link!

Post imported post

Did they eat at Panera Bread? They do not have an ABC license do they?

I just find it ironic.

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:
    Phssthpok wrote:
    I found other videos from Fox 5 news at 10 on YouTube.* So here is this one.* It is borderline Copyright having it there - maybe.

Holy crap... fair and balanced? From FOX? I'm confused. Nice ninja moves Mike in not getting named. > )
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    He's just flaunting his first amendment rights. :P