• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC Metro Fox 5 News story on open carry/VCDL tonight at 10PM!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Other news stories possible this weekend as concentrated open carry dining occurs in Senator Dick Saslaw's district (35th) and surrounding Northern Virginia to embarass Saslaw over his remarks on the Senate fllor that nobody open carries in Norther Virginia restaurants.

Phssthpok

imported post

Somebody PLEASE make sure to post this up for those of us who aren't local.:)

xd.40

imported post

It was a decent story. Only the reporter incorrectly stated that permit holders were the one making the statement when they stated he didn't have a permit...

SIGguy229

imported post

"Feel the need to flaunt their weapons"?---stupid reporter.

And why do they interview an 18 year old? Ifind it humorous that they compare the limited life experience of an 18 year old with the decisionmaking of a governor. Hmmm......funny, both are living in their own world and believe nothing bad will happen around themor to them.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That was a pretty fair piece (surprising for statist Fox news). If anything, their choice of an 18-year-old to voice the con opinion was a nod in our direction.

Nobody is really going to take an 18-year-old seriously, and, in my opinion, that report gave the impression that our side is the one with a head on its proverbial shoulders.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
"Feel the need to flaunt their weapons"?---stupid reporter.

And why do they interview an 18 year old? Ifind it humorous that they compare the limited life experience of an 18 year old with the decisionmaking of a governor. Hmmm......funny, both are living in their own world and believe nothing bad will happen around themor to them.
I heard the reporter say that permit holders say OC'ers "Feel the need to flaunt their weapons". But it was a reasonably balanced report and actually depicted our side in a positive light.

Oops.. I stand corrected. In the intro to the report, the male reporter made two comments, the first one in error. First he said permit holders... and next he made comment about flaunting their weapons. His first comment sends out the message that one cannot open carry a firearm without a permit.

Another error in the story. The 18 girl interviewed in the car mentioned if she were going to a bar and people were there carrying guns.... Well good luck doing this in Virginia because she is dead wrong. There are no bars in Virginia!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The reporter was accurate and noted the "irony" of the open carry requirement - the news caster made the sharp comments about "flaunting rights," not very professional.

Xeni

imported post

I liked the wide shot with the ABC store in the background and just over the interviewee's head. To me it struck as ironic as ABC is a major party against CC in VA restraunts.

zoom6zoom

imported post

The 18 girl interviewed in the car mentioned if she were going to a bar and people were there carrying guns.... Well good luck doing this in Virginia because she is dead wrong. There are no bars in Virginia!
And if I'm not mistaken, isn't 21 the drinking age in Virginia anyway?

LEO 229

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
The 18 girl interviewed in the car mentioned if she were going to a bar and people were there carrying guns.... Well good luck doing this in Virginia because she is dead wrong. There are no bars in Virginia!
And if I'm not mistaken, isn't 21 the drinking age in Virginia anyway?
Ya... This is true. I guess she is thinking ahead when she plans to go to a bad in DC. :D

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
The reporter was accurate and noted the "irony" of the open carry requirement - the news caster made the sharp comments about "flaunting rights," not very professional.
This is deliberate. The word, "flaunt" conveys a somewhat negative and almost sinister meaning. Had he used the word, "display" or "advance" or something similar, the meaning would have had a more positive projection. As I said, this is deliberate on the part of newscasters and reporters and comes down from station management. Read John Stossel's two books.

Another example is this. How many times do you hear a reporter use the term "gun control activists"? The term, "activist" to today's crowd conveys the impression of an involved individual just like "environmental activist". You are not likely to hear "gun rights activists" or "gun proponent activists".

LEO 229

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
This is deliberate. The word, "flaunt" conveys a somewhat negative and almost sinister meaning. Had he used the word, "display" or "advance" or something similar, the meaning would have had a more positive projection. ....snipped
Ya.. I caught that too.... It sets the tone for the viewer.... And flaunting something has never been a good thing.

The segmentappeared neutral unless you paid attention to the host.

nova

imported post

I'm so glad I'll be 19 at the end of the month. Maybe then people will take me seriously :lol:.

But then again I'm not your average 18 year old idiot, and I OC :cool: