• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife laws in VA?

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I saw that 229 but....I gave you a reference to a genunine source, used as a tool by most serious weapons collectors. Wikipedia or the Pirate King (or whatever he is) ain't one.

It's a little like getting police training from Don Knotts!
Maybe you can provide us with something to back what you are saying. :D

You took the time to point out that no cop has ever ever been able to correctly identify a Dirk like LEOs have no clue. But when we/I check on what aDirk is... we see something that you claim is wrong. But we are held at fault for not knowing.

I have also asked an independent person whodescribed a Dirk to be what I have viewed Online and always believed.So out of three separate sources plus myself.. we all have the same idea on what it is. So far onlyYOU have it different.

Now it is going to be hard for me to believe that the State of Virginia is so worried that someone is going to CC a two foot sword under their clothing. I do not even see sword in the list of knives so maybe a dirk to the state is the same as what all the cops see it as. :cool:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Those are pretty good examples Hawk.
And because of the clip point, the courts consider "Ka :shock:bar's)....Bowies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote: Maybe you can provide us with something to back what you are saying. :D

You took the time to point out that no cop has ever ever been able to correctly identify a Dirk like LEOs have no clue. But when we/I check on what aDirk is... we see something that you claim is wrong. But we are held at fault for not knowing.

I have also asked an independent person whodescribed a Dirk to be what I have viewed Online and always believed.So out of three separate sources plus myself.. we all have the same idea on what it is. So far onlyYOU have it different.

Now it is going to be hard for me to believe that the State of Virginia is so worried that someone is going to CC a two foot sword under their clothing. I do not even see sword in the list of knives so maybe a dirk to the state is the same as what all the cops see it as. :cool:
Actually, I did back it up!
I pointed you to a reference that has stood the test of time. It is a book, so it takes a trip to the library.

It is written by experts. Not me, I'm not an expert. I make knives based on what the experts have found and publish.

Since I don't know who the independent person was you asked, and don't really care unless he is a published Archaeologists, I stand by what I said.

One thing your doing is mixing the syntax again. You pointed to references about Naval Dirks. Naval Dirks are like Bowie knives. Not Dirks at all but daggers. Somewhere the name caught on.

I do not even see sword in the list of knives so maybe a dirk to the state is the same as what all the cops see it as. :cool:

Good point.:D Why do they bother to pass legislation directed at machetes ?

Why was a slung ever included in the concealed weapons statute (Another sailors toy)

Why can we carry openly but not concealed in a restaurant

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP Kind of like the confusion over the USMC Ka-Bar fighting knife, carried by Marines in WWII, and still carried by many Marines when I quit a few years ago.

The word "Ka-Bar" refers to the company, not the type of knife, but Ka-Bar was one of the biggest contractors to make them, so most of them have the Ka-Bar logo on them. But I have a "Marine fighting knife" of essentially the same design, which is made by Camillus, which many Marines would refer to as a "Ka-Bar".

Kind of like the M-14 vs. M1A confusion.

Kind of like the confusion over Natty Bumpo, Deerslayer, and Long Carabine? :)

Kind of like the confusion over Pocohontas and........Maqua? :D:p

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Actually, I did back it up!
I pointed you to a reference that has stood the test of time. It is a book, so it takes a trip to the library.

....snipped
Not going tofly here..Unless you can provide something for us to view.. I will have to hold your input as void.

Perhaps the State of Virginia wasthinking about sailors Dirks and possibly pirates and not people that no longer exist or that somearchaeologist might want to CC an artifact knife.

Going to stick with my original post. Maybe someone can get with you to prove a dirk is not a dirk in court. :lol:

And remember... it depends on what the definition of "is" is. Bill Clinton

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Not going tofly here..Unless you can provide something for us to view.. I will have to hold your input as void.

I wasn't trying to convince you 229, I was stating a fact. How you hold it is up to you.
I can't say what the State of Virginia had in mind, just what they say!

BTW 229, it wasn't meant as an insult. Just a simple fact. References to old weapons in the statute go back to whatever reason and yes, as I pointed out and you suggested, many times what the General Assembly intends and what they pass are different things.

This is an example that a friend in Washington (State) built. He had never built a matchlock before and he and I discussed it on and off for months. He hand forged everything to the exact specs of an original. He spent 3 years researching the thing before he was finished. Then, it was purchased by a gentleman overseas (for an unbelievable amount) but his country would not allow him to have anything over .36 cal.

I made a removable barrel liner so he would still have one that was a carbon copy of what was made hundreds of years ago...but legal to export.

Remember, 3 years research...It's not something you pick up in a few minutes on the internet.

brutus_8x10.jpg

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:

I wasn't trying to convince you 229, I was stating a fact. How you hold it is up to you.
I can't say what the State of Virginia had in mind, just what they say!

BTW 229, it wasn't meant as an insult. Just a simple fact. References to old weapons in the statute go back to whatever reason and yes, as I pointed out and you suggested, many times what the General Assembly intends and what they pass are different things.

This is an example that a friend in Washington (State) built. He had never built a matchlock before and he and I discussed it on and off for months. He hand forged everything to the exact specs of an original. He spent 3 years researching the thing before he was finished. Then, it was purchased by a gentleman overseas (for an unbelievable amount) but his country would not allow him to have anything over .36 cal.

I made a removable barrel liner so he would still have one that was a carbon copy of what was made hundreds of years ago...but legal to export.

Remember, 3 years research...It's not something you pick up in a few minutes on the internet.
I do not want to see you even try to conceal that. If you do not shoot it off.. your going to cut it off.. :lol:

I am pretty sure that the state was not referencing this weapon and was geared more toward what us common people would carry in modern day.

possumboy

imported post

I go camping a few time each month. I carry this knife: https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1235&mode=category&categoryId=2,3,7&categoryName=Hunting/Sporting

I get more questions about carrying this knife than I do my gun.

IamALWAYS careful not to conceal it. I don't believe it would be a problem, but it could be used has a "weapon of like kind" - even though it is just a tool I use while camping. Do not want to have that conversation with a LEO having a bad day.

Tomahawk

imported post

Okay, peter, I keep staring at that matchlock/axe thing and I can't figure out where the muzzle opening is...where does the bullet come out? Is the knob on top of the axe head removable or something? That really is an odd-looking weapon.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Okay, peter, I keep staring at that matchlock/axe thing and I can't figure out where the muzzle opening is...where does the bullet come out? Is the knob on top of the axe head removable or something? That really is an odd-looking weapon.
What do we care? It ain't got a bayonet stud. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
It does unscrew. It's a fancy way to keep the powder dry.

HOLYROLLER

imported post

Holy crap! I leave for a day and look what I get. OK, I WILL NOT be buying my friend a Dirk.Caliber wars I expect , but did not forsee a Dirk war! Thanks all for the responses:what:

W.E.G.

imported post

In Virginia, any knife you can think of, with the exception of a "schoolboy's knife" (I thought all knives were banned in schools?) can be illegal under 18.2-308 if the prosecutor can merely make a credible case that the knife was carried for the purpose of use as a weapon.

See http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opncavwp/2708041.pdf

This focus on a knife's weapon-like properties excludes “from concealed weapons statutes innocuous household and industrial knives which may be carried for legitimate purposes.” Richards v. Commonwealth, 18 Va. App. 242, 246 n.2, 443 S.E.2d 177, 179 n.2 (1994). Thus, a schoolboy's common pocketknife would necessarily fall outside the reach of the statute."

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So I have this knife

MARKON_lg1.jpg

It is a Masters of Defense CQD Mk1 Automatic. Is this a "switchbade"? I had to have my Military ID just to buy it and when I bring it home from Afghanistan I need a letter from my CO stating it is "issued" gear to get it through customs. Is this thing legal to carry concealed? Open?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
So I have this knife

MARKON_lg1.jpg

It is a Masters of Defense CQD Mk1 Automatic. Is this a "switchbade"? I had to have my Military ID just to buy it and when I bring it home from Afghanistan I need a letter from my CO stating it is "issued" gear to get it through customs. Is this thing legal to carry concealed? Open?
No, It's not legal. Look at the above posts for the statute.

lax

imported post

possumboy wrote:

That picture brought back some old memories. I used to carry a knife like that while at Cedarlands Boy Scout camp in NY during the 70's (12 to 15 ys old). Ahh simpler times and people did not assume nafarious intent back then. No problem carrying a Buck 110 at school either.