• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private gun Transfers.

Gren

imported post

Could some one please explain how Private transfers of pistols from one person to another work?.I haven't really been able to find any really detailed information about the subject.And thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

P.s. I guess i should mention that I'm eighteen and there for unable to purchase a pistol(or ammo as far as i know) by my self.And of course thats why I'm asking about this.

P.p.s.Oh and Hi I'm new here.Been lurking for entirely to long heh.

nofoa

imported post

Face to face transfers are perfectly legal. No paperwork, no calling up the local po po for permision.

I think you can buy rifle ammo, not sure about that.

Gren

imported post

Heh awesome, for some reason i just expected there to be lots of paper work involved.Well thanks i guess that answers my question some what at least.I have a couple more questions or i guess clarifications really.And please bear with me I've never acutally bought a gun before so I'm completely out of the loop on how that works.But anyways when some one buys a gun is it not registered to them?, and if so then how would said transferee have that gun later registered in there name?.

P.s. Thanks again for the help :).

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Gren wrote:
....how would said transferee have that gun later registered in there name?

No legal requirement to do so. So long as both private parties are satisfied that each other are legit, there is no reason to involve any "authorities."

If you wanted it to be registered in your name, you could always have the seller meet you at an FFL dealer and have them turn it over to the FFL, and then you would just pay a "transfer fee" ($25-50 depending on the dealer) to have them do paperwork on you, and since the gun is already paid for, once the transfer fee is paid, you're good to go when the paperwork is satisfied.

Keep in mind that an FFL will not transfer a pistol to anyone under the age of 21 in the State of Washington. Check out here for details on how and when you can possess a pistol:http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

Grenadier

imported post

If you just want to change who a pistol is registered to you can fill out this form and mail it in to the state http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf. You don't have to do it though, but you may want to if you are worried that it may be stolen and want the records to be accurate. I did this with someone who wanted to make sure that the pistol was no longer in their name, it is easy and free.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Buying a handgun in WA. 101:

WA State law RCW 9.40.040 "Unlawful Possesion of firearms" explains who is ineligible to own or possess a firearm in WA state.

Under WA State law, you must be 18 to own or possess a gun (RCW 9.41.042), while there are some exceptions where minors may possess a gun, for all intents and purposes, the only State age requirement for ownership is 18. It makes no differentiation between handguns and longguns.

WA State law requires dealers to fill out registration paperwork and get the necessary approvals before delivering a handgun to anyone.

There is no paperwork or registration requirement under WA State law regarding sale of firearms between private parties. RCW 9.41.080, does make it a felony to deliver a firearm to someone you have "reasonable cause" to believe is ineligible to possess it.

You can voluntarily file a "Private Disposition Transfer"formavailableat http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf with DOL if you want it to be registered, however it is voluntary.

The age 21 requirement for a hand gun purchase is a Federal one restricting FFL dealers from delivering handguns to anyone under the age of 21.

Bottom line, if you can find and convince a private partyto sell you a hand gun, AND you are not ineligible to own or possess oneunder RCW 9.40.041,Then you can own, possess, and use one. You can carry it without restriction on your property, but you will not be able to get a concealed pistol license (CPL) until you are 21.

Personally, I only sell FTF to people I don't know if they have a valid CPL. That makes it reasonable for me to expect they are not restricted from owing or possessing. While the law may not require much, I still feel a personal responsibility if I transfer a gun to anyone and if gun owners don't act responsibly, we can expect the state to step in and put restrictions in place. I also run the serial number on any gun I buy FTF to make sure it isn't stolen. Most PD's will be happy to run the number for you if you call them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Gren wrote:
Could some one please explain how Private transfers of pistols from one person to another work?.I haven't really been able to find any really detailed information about the subject.And thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

P.s. I guess i should mention that I'm eighteen and there for unable to purchase a pistol(or ammo as far as i know) by my self.And of course thats why I'm asking about this.

P.p.s.Oh and Hi I'm new here.Been lurking for entirely to long heh.
Depends on the state - in most states, you can just buy a handgun gun from any rsident of your state, unless he is a dealer. no paperwork required.

kparker

imported post

Bottom line, if you can find and convince a private party to sell you a hand gun, AND you are not ineligible to own or possess one under RCW 9.40.041, Then you can own, possess, and use one. You can carry it without restriction on your property, but you will not be able to get a concealed pistol license (CPL) until you are 21.
You also won't be able to buy "handgun" ammo until you're 21.

911Boss

imported post

kparker wrote:
Bottom line, if you can find and convince a private party to sell you a hand gun, AND you are not ineligible to own or possess one under RCW 9.40.041, Then you can own, possess, and use one. You can carry it without restriction on your property, but you will not be able to get a concealed pistol license (CPL) until you are 21.
You also won't be able to buy "handgun" ammo until you're 21.

True, but there are no laws on the "transfer" of ammo and no laws about "straw purchases" for ammoeither.

Or you could buy a carbine in the same caliber as your handgun and only buy ammo for it...

Gren

imported post

Sorry i didn't replay sooner i had some stuff to do with my girlfriends parents and yeah heh.I'd like to thank you all for the very informative posts, they where all really helpful.I'd like to explain a little further that in all likely hood the gun will be a "gift" from my parents.I'd also like to sate that i have shot a few guns before, not really interesting or anything.Pretty much the standard gun that every one starts with, .22 rifles.One was a bolt action made by grandfather and the other i think was a .22 Ruger Semi-auto(not entirely sure though, all this was between the ages of 10 and 13).And the last gun i shot before i stopped really having time to go shooting was a 20 Gauge shotgun, i think it was semi-auto but my memory is a bit fuzzy so yeah.

And as for whether I'm able to under the law posses a pistol, well I'll say this.To the best of my knowledge the worst crime I've ever committed is jaywalking.

Gren

imported post

Grenadier wrote:
If you just want to change who a pistol is registered to you can fill out this form and mail it in to the state http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf. You don't have to do it though, but you may want to if you are worried that it may be stolen and want the records to be accurate. I did this with someone who wanted to make sure that the pistol was no longer in their name, it is easy and free.
Yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head.I'd just rather it be in my name in case some thing goes wrong.

Gren

imported post

:D no i live in north west Tacoma and rarely go more then fifty miles away from here seeing as i unfortunately don't have a car...:(

Edit: heh i should say i don't have my motorcycle yet, but i digress >.>.

heresolong

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
If you want the gun in "your name", then have the seller/giftor make up a bill of sale saying they received $XXX from you on Date for the purchase of Make/Model/Serial number of gun. They sign the bill of sale and give it to you.
I like this better than filling out the form for the state as this way they don't have a list of your guns. No way would I ever send in that form. I know they supposedly keep a copy of the sale form when you buy through a dealer but why make their job easier.

911Boss

imported post

heresolong wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
If you want the gun in "your name", then have the seller/giftor make up a bill of sale saying they received $XXX from you on Date for the purchase of Make/Model/Serial number of gun. They sign the bill of sale and give it to you.
I like this better than filling out the form for the state as this way they don't have a list of your guns. No way would I ever send in that form. I know they supposedly keep a copy of the sale form when you buy through a dealer but why make their job easier.
They don't just "keep a copy", they register the gun in one of the DOL databases. Cop can run a person and see what handguns they have bought (from a dealer), can also run the serial number and see who it belongs to.

Gren

imported post

911Boss wrote:
heresolong wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
They don't just "keep a copy", they register the gun in one of the DOL databases. Cop can run a person and see what handguns they have bought (from a dealer), can also run the serial number and see who it belongs to.

That is exactly why i want it registered in my name(With the state).Like i said if i where to have to defend my self i don't really want to have to deal with the complexity it would add to the situation because of it being in some one else's name.

Edit: I'd also like to state that i have indeed read and uderstand RCW 9.41.240.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Gren wrote:
911Boss wrote:
heresolong wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

That is exactly why i want it registered in my name(With the state).Like i said if i where to have to defend my self i don't really want to have to deal with the complexity it would add to the situation because of it being in some one else's name.

Edit: I'd also like to state that i have indeed read and uderstand RCW 9.41.240.
As long as it is not on the hot list. What difference would it make? It's not illegal to private transfer a gun. You don't have to even show a bill of sale even.

Gren

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Gren wrote:
911Boss wrote:
heresolong wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

As long as it is not on the hot list. What difference would it make? It's not illegal to private transfer a gun. You don't have to even show a bill of sale even.
While i agree that theres no legal reason to do so i explained my personal reason for wanting to in my last post and will be registrating it with the state for that reason.That and i don't really see any reason not to.