• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private gun Transfers.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Gren wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Gren wrote:
911Boss wrote:
heresolong wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
If you want the gun in "your name", then have the seller/giftor make up a bill of sale saying they received $XXX from you on Date for the purchase of Make/Model/Serial number of gun. They sign the bill of sale and give it to you.
I like this better than filling out the form for the state as this way they don't have a list of your guns. No way would I ever send in that form. I know they supposedly keep a copy of the sale form when you buy through a dealer but why make their job easier.
They don't just "keep a copy", they register the gun in one of the DOL databases. Cop can run a person and see what handguns they have bought (from a dealer), can also run the serial number and see who it belongs to.

That is exactly why i want it registered in my name(With the state).Like i said if i where to have to defend my self i don't really want to have to deal with the complexity it would add to the situation because of it being in some one else's name.

Edit: I'd also like to state that i have indeed read and uderstand RCW 9.41.240.
As long as it is not on the hot list. What difference would it make? It's not illegal to private transfer a gun. You don't have to even show a bill of sale even.
While i agree that theres no legal reason to do so i explained my personal reason for wanting to in my last post and will be registrating it with the state for that reason.That and i don't really see any reason not to.
Only that it violates your Constitutional rights, boths Federal and State, but what the Hell, if they mean nothing to you, have at it.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Gren, Did you ever see the movie "RED DAWN"? the first move an invading army or for that matter, any group that decides to take control of us as citizens, would be to collect all the 4473 forms from local dealers. Now they have a data base of who has bought guns, where they live, their personal biologic id (ht, wt, eye color, race)

I have a way to avoid most of that, but will not post it openly for obvious reasons. Meet me face to face and after I have developed enough trust, I will share that information.

Jim

just_a_car

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Gren, Did you ever see the movie "RED DAWN"? the first move an invading army or for that matter, any group that decides to take control of us as citizens, would be to collect all the 4473 forms from local dealers. Now they have a data base of who has bought guns, where they live, their personal biologic id (ht, wt, eye color, race)

I have a way to avoid most of that, but will not post it openly for obvious reasons. Meet me face to face and after I have developed enough trust, I will share that information.

Jim
So, do you attend the Western WA monthly lunch/dinner get-togethers?... We may have met, but I'm terrible at getting names to faces and even worse when I only see them once a month. If you're in the Seattle Metro area, I wouldn't mind just sittin' down with ya over some coffee some time; it sounds like you have a lot of interesting stories to tell (my father also served as an USAF mechanic based in Tan Son Nhut AFB, Saigon).

Gren

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

Jim
Indeed its a good movie.And i guess i just didn't think of it that way, I'll reconsider things.Oh and bear the way you put that makes you look like a jerk.

Gren

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

Jim
So, do you attend the Western WA monthly lunch/dinner get-togethers?... We may have met, but I'm terrible at getting names to faces and even worse when I only see them once a month. If you're in the Seattle Metro area, I wouldn't mind just sittin' down with ya over some coffee some time; it sounds like you have a lot of interesting stories to tell (my father also served as an USAF mechanic based in Tan Son Nhut AFB, Saigon).
Well thats a bit of an odd coincidence my dad severed as a USAF mechanic in Saigon as well(He specifically worked on the pneumatics of RF-4C's).But thats really about all i know.I really should talk to him more about his service.

Edit:Sorry about all the double posting.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Gren,

I could tell some interesting stories, but they are history that does not need to be repeated. In my line of thought, rehashing war stories is an old man trying to resucitate his lost youth, and impress the listener, Unfortunately, neither one comes to fruition. You are still an old man and the listener is bored.

Jim

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
...rehashing war stories is an old man trying to resucitate his lost youth, and impress the listener, Unfortunately, neither one comes to fruition. You are still an old man and the listener is bored.

Jim
Well then you should ridicule him, call him names, and threaten him. That will let everyone know that you deserve respect, how tough you are,and how much you know... ;)

Bear 45/70

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
...rehashing war stories is an old man trying to resucitate his lost youth, and impress the listener, Unfortunately, neither one comes to fruition. You are still an old man and the listener is bored.

Jim
Well then you should ridicule him, call him names, and threaten him. That will let everyone know that you deserve respect, how tough you are,and how much you know... ;)
But don't do it until his young know it all mouth tells you that you know nothing and can't possible have been there and done that before he was out of diapers.
rolleyes.gif

GOPTJ

imported post

So is there a good place for people looking to buy a handgun from a private seller in Washington state exactly for the reason you posted. I dont want the goverment to know that I have it. I looked on Craigslist and E-Bay and dont see any handguns for sale from private citizens. Todd

expvideo

imported post

Gren wrote:
Could some one please explain how Private transfers of pistols from one person to another work?.I haven't really been able to find any really detailed information about the subject.And thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

P.s. I guess i should mention that I'm eighteen and there for unable to purchase a pistol(or ammo as far as i know) by my self.And of course thats why I'm asking about this.

P.p.s.Oh and Hi I'm new here.Been lurking for entirely to long heh.
It's a 3 step process in WA state:

1. Take the buyer's money
2. Hand the buyer the gun (safely, please)
3. Deposit money in the bank

Seriously. There is no process. I would highly, highly, highly recommend writing out two bills of sale with the serial number (one for each of you), since if he ever has to claim the pistol from a police evidence room, they require "proof of ownership" and a bill of sale works for that. It is also good to have if the police ever find this gun in a gutter next to a murdered police captain's house.

HOWEVER, you can be held legally responsible (and it IS a felony) if you provide a gun to someone that can not legally own one. That means that you need to follow this checklist:

1. Is the buyer a US citizen?
2. Is the buyer a non-felon?
3. Is the buyer 18 or older?

Sure, you don't know if he has a felony because you probably can't run background checks, but that is the risk you take in selling a firearm to a stranger. If you want to play it safe, you can generally get a legal gun transfer done at a gun store (that includes a background check) for ~$25 (give or take). It's a small cost compared to a felony charge.

expvideo

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
IIRC, regarding unknowingly selling to felons, the law calls for just that, not KNOWINGLY transfering to a felon.

Hey, you're right! I was mistaken. Be careful though, because it's not "knowingly", it's "has reasonable cause to believe", and if you sell a gun to the next Lee Harvey Oswald, and the whole nation is calling for blood, a prosecutor might push the notion that having a backgrown check is "reasonable". I'd be careful.

RCW 9.41.080
Delivery to Ineligible Persons
No person may deliver a firearm to any person whom he or she has reasonable cause to believe is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm. Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony, punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

just_a_car

imported post

With respect to 'knowingly', an easy way to get "off the hook" is to ask to see their CPL if they have one. That way, you can tell any prosecutor that you saw that they had a CPL and knew that they couldn't be a felon and receive one.