• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana State Parks

squarepeg

imported post

So state parks are OK, but Federal parks are not. Is that how it goes? Thats is why I can go shooting at DNR state parks but cannot carry to the Indiana dunes because that is part or the "National Lakeshore" or something like that?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

It really depends, I have to check to see whats up this year, but I carried to the dunes all of last year and nobody said a word.

There is a fine line between the state park and national lake shore, and the boundary is very poorly defined.

squarepeg

imported post

OK, I had to do a quick search on the dunes thing. Turns out there are 3 national parks in IN: Lincoln Boyhood in Lincoln City; George Rogers Clark in Vincennes; and Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore in Porter.
From FAQ section on IN Dune National Lakeshore: http://www.nps.gov/indu/faqs.htm
Q. What is the difference between Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and Indiana Dunes State Park?

A. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is a federal park managed by the U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service. Indiana Dunes State Park is a state park managed by Indiana's Department of Natural Resources.
I didn't realize that there were actually 2 different parks out there as I havent been that way for a decade or so. I guess if I go back, I will have to figure out where the boundries of each are.

edited: to try to fix url in quote. Gave up after 2 trys. It was a link to IN Dunes State Park.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I know the guy in charge of the parks signed an order about a year ago, a little more than that, and it lasted for a year, then could be renewed for another year, but then would need state govn't approval for anything longer, but this may have changed.

BCMalone

imported post

(Official Source- http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/iac_title?iact=312&iaca=8 )

According to the Indiana Administrative Code, Article 8 (Public Use of Natural and Recreational Areas), Rule 2 (General Restrictions on the Use of DNR Properties), 312 IAC 8-2-3 (Firearms, Hunting and Trapping):

Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following conditions apply:
(1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:
(A) unloaded and unnocked; and
(B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.
(2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at and of a type designated for usage on:
(A) a rifle;
(B) a pistol;
(C) a shotgun; or
(D) an archery;range.
(3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:
(A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.
(B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.
(4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
(A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
(i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
(ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
(B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2.

The change was signed into law by Daniels on Sept 6, 2007, here:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/irdin.pdf?din=20071003-IR-312070023FRA

So as long as you stay away from reservoirs and the Falls of Ohio state park, you are in the clear on state parks.

I don't think however that this applies to local or county owned DNR properties, you'd have to call each one and ask. I think this only applies to state owned DNR propeties.

Short of actually calling the DNR or Mitch Daniels and asking, there you have it.

baka

imported post

squarepeg wrote:
So state parks are OK, but Federal parks are not. Is that how it goes? Thats is why I can go shooting at DNR state parks but cannot carry to the Indiana dunes because that is part or the "National Lakeshore" or something like that?

Actually you can carry in the Indiana Dunes. I was just there last weekend and their handbook said it was allowed.