• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I OC or not

should i OC at my first day of work

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JTknives

imported post

to start out i do OC every day. if im awake i OC :D. but my question is this. im starting a new job on monday (tomarow) at a machean shop and i will be walking there as its onley 1.4 miles away from my place. i dont like walking anywhere and not have a gun. what should i do? if i do OC and the boss does not like me OCing what is the law about putting my gun somewhere, say like the office. i walk as right now i dont have a car. i tryed to get one but i gess the bank wants to see i have a job first :what:.

JTknives

imported post

one more thing, the boss (chris) is a cool guy and has bult a fue prototype rifles there. so i dont think he is anti gun ;).

xmirage2kx

imported post

I would CC on day one and test the water verbally, Unless you want to risk losing the job. Employers can fire you for having a gun, and can have any rules they want about gun ownership at the worksite.

EDIT: I read you otehr post and found you do not have a permit. I would not carry for your first day since you have no other option and would more than likely just be sent home or let go.

swillden

imported post

I'm with xmirage. I'd go to work unarmed and discuss it with him to make sure it's okay before OCing. If you had a vehicle to lock it in, that might be different. Even if you had some kind of lockable container (like these for example) so you could put your gun in an office and yet still have control over it, then I might say take the gun. As it is, I say leave it home.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I would NOT OC on your first day unless you first check with your new boss and get his ok.

Even many mostly pro-RKBA employers have concerns about customer perception or liability.

I also doubt you'd really want to (or be able) to OC during the work day while working with the milling and other machines. So you have an immediate storage concern.

There are a couple of approaches to take assuming there is no anti-gun policy and you think the boss is ameniable to you carrying:

1-Get a permit, CC, don't ask, don't tell.

2-Get a car and store your gun in the car during work.

3-Approach the boss about storing your OC gun during the work day.

4-Approach the boss about OCing to work and then CCing during the day until such time as you can get a permit. If I am not mistaken (and IANAL), a property owner can authorize non-prohibited persons to CC on their property without the person needing a permit.

5-If your work does not preclude you safely OCing during the day, ask about OCing during the day.

But remember, once you ask, you are probably going to have to live with the answer and that has the real potention to reduce your ability to carry. You might CC for years and the first time he notices and says he doesn't like it you can honestly claim ignorance of his position and probably keep your job. But if he tells you no guns at work you lose that option and are now in a don't carry or a deep conceal position henceforth.

Of course, always obey applicable laws (private policy is not law in the workplace in Utah in most cases) and realize that violation of policy can result in loss of job.

All the best.

Charles

JTknives

imported post

well i talked to my boss and hes cool with it. hes like, you wont need it here but i allwase say its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :D

xmirage2kx

imported post

Well thats really great. So few places let you carry at work. And yes you can CC on private property with owners permission w/ or w/o a permit.

PavePusher

imported post

JTknives wrote:
well i talked to my boss and hes cool with it. hes like, you wont need it here but i allwase say its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :D
Outstanding! What buisness is this? I would love to send some of my money their way if their products are something I need.

utahxd9

imported post

That is awesome that he will let you oc. What kind of machine work do you do? My company is sometimes in need of custom machine work. My current employer allows cc, but I woudn't oc becuase of the quality of whse employees we have.