• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of State OC in WV

ron-357

imported post

I grew up in WV, but unfortunately I now live in OH. I live practically on the boarder; I can see my old neighborhood from my house, and I travel into WV almost daily. But, what I was wondering is Can I open carry in West Virginia, since I am from Ohio, and if so, what are the regulation, specifically in Wheeling (since local laws trump the state law if they were on the books first)?

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ohio law lets out-of-state residents OC, but can only CC if they have a permit of a state that Ohio has reciprocity with. You cannot OC in a vehicle and cannot have loaded gun in the vehicle at all,unless youhave a CCL.

Thanks,

Ron

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ron-357 wrote:
I grew up in WV, but unfortunately I now live in OH. I live practically on the boarder; I can see my old neighborhood from my house, and I travel into WV almost daily. But, what I was wondering is Can I open carry in West Virginia, since I am from Ohio, and if so, what are the regulation, specifically in Wheeling (since local laws trump the state law if they were on the books first)?

Ohio law lets out-of-state residents OC, but can only CC if they have a permit of a state that Ohio has reciprocity with. You cannot OC in a vehicle and cannot have loaded gun in the vehicle at all,unless youhave a CCL.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron-357, I am not familiar with Ohio gun laws. But, I have to say that it doesn't make since that an out-of-state resident can only CC if they have a reciprocal CCL. Do you mean thatI can't OC since I have a VA PCCH? Can you show me the statute that states this specifically?

2nd Amendment.........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X

WV XD Guy

imported post

Anyone over 18 who can own a gun, can OC in WV. I think that Charleston and one other city have preemptions. (Check through the WV thread here to find out more.) That said, WV has a reciprocity agreement (CCW) with Ohio so with a permit you would be good to go either way. I don't believe that Wheeling has any preempted laws.

ron-357

imported post

As I stated in the first part of the sentence, "Ohio law lets out-of-state residents OC."

And yes many of the Ohio gun laws do not make sense. Since the state has come up with the example sign that a building or business can place in there window, I am having trouble finding anyplace besides outside, that I can OC. It also seems that the places where we need law biding citizens having guns are the very places that the state prohibits firearms.

Thanks,

Ron

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ron-357 wrote:
As I stated in the first part of the sentence, "Ohio law lets out-of-state residents OC."

And yes many of the Ohio gun laws do not make sense. Since the state has come up with the example sign that a building or business can place in there window, I am having trouble finding anyplace besides outside, that I can OC. It also seems that the places where we need law biding citizens having guns are the very places that the state prohibits firearms.

Thanks,

Ron
I understand what you mean now, Ron-357. I just wanted to make sure that you could OC even if you had a reciprocal CCL. I read too much into your post (sorry). Stay safe.

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

ron-357

imported post

Yeah, what happened to bearing arms? It is idiotic having to lookup this statute or search this law, and now what about this state since I have to cross state lines!!!

Most of my waking day, my firearm has to stay locked up because most everywhere I go prohibits the right to carry arms. "Use it ... or lose it!! - Its already gone!!!

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

ron-357 wrote:

Thanks,

Ron
It would be more accurate to say Ohio does not prohibit OC nor require a license to OC on foot.

In West Virginia, the right to OC is not limited by state of residence--which I would view as a violation of the Privileges & Immunities and Equal Protection clauses of the Constitution.

I know of no local ordinances outside the cities of Charleston & Dunbar (both in Kanawha County) that are grandfathered under the state preemption law. Unlike Ohio (which is a home rule state--the source of the underlying controversy in Ohioans for Concealed Carry v. City of Clyde, which is currently pending before the Ohio Supreme Court), West Virginia is a Dillon Rule state, meaning that local governments receive their authority from the Legislature and are very limited in their powers.