• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beware the double-tap holster!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can't figure out how the hell that happened. The only thing I can figure is that he pulled it from the holster as he got out, finger on the trigger and squeezed in the process. Stupid. :cuss: Still, couldn't resist a snarky comment about MD carry laws in the comments.

1st freedom

imported post

"As the officers got out of their car, one officer's weapon went off."

It could have been worse if the officers crusertook off and hit somebody after the officers exited it. Don't laugh, one is just as likelly as the other

IBSYS.ad.AdManager.registerPosition({
"iframe": false,
"addlSz": "",
"element": "ad_N650000.2988",
"interstitials": false,
"beginDate": "",
"endDate": "",
"getSect": "",
"name": "square",
"qString": "",
"width": "300",
"height": "250",
"section": "",
"useId": "15819651",
"interactive": false,
"useSameCategory": false,
"topic": "",
"swSectionRoot": "",
"useZone": "",
"type": "DOM"
});

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah where does it say the handgun was holstered? It really sounds like the cop had the gun in hand.

lax

imported post

Maybe the car door bumped him like it did to the Fairfax County Virginia officer that shot andkilled a dentist in Centreville that was in custody.

Get your finger off the trigger!

unreconstructed1

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I can't figure out how the hell that happened. The only thing I can figure is that he pulled it from the holster as he got out, finger on the trigger and squeezed in the process. Stupid. :cuss: Still, couldn't resist a snarky comment about MD carry laws in the comments.
for what it's worth Deep, I posted a comment asking about the irony of someone using that tired old line in relation to teh news article posted...:shock::lol:

LEO 229

imported post

I saw a little bit of this on the news....

So he was getting out to approach two guys and the gun while in the holster fired and hit them??

Not sure how that can happen.. But I am game... Show me exactly what happened in a re-enactment so I can decide. ;)

Guess we will start with a Saturday night special in a holster where the trigger is exposed. I am guessing he bent over to tie his shoes showing his fanny and the barrel was pointed at the two guys that were struck.

Completely Plausible!

"Howard County police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn said the incident occurred at about 5:15 p.m. Monday in the 8300 block of Pleasant Chase Road. Undercover officers saw what appeared to be drug activity and tried to stop the two youths for questioning. As the officers got out of their car, one officer's weapon went off"

So it really sounds like one UC had his gun out and pulled the trigger in error.

Here is something to think about. When you make a fist to fight... what happens to your other hand?

They both ball up!!

If your finger is on the trigger and your other hand does something that causes it squeeze.... both with work in unison. This can cause you to pull the trigger.

This is typically why the shot is fired in error. This is also why cops are trained to keep it on the slide now. Older cops may revert back to their original training and forget during a crisis situation.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

An officer accidentally shoot two people and 'whoops! It was an accident, my bad, I'll go to the range and get requalified'....

Lemme go 'accidentally' shoot two people, then I'm going to demand the judge order me to the range to improve my weapons safety....

See how well that flies...

Barring other mitigating circumstances... either fire the officer or make him a desk jockey, where he doesn't have to worry about incorrectly drawing his firearm again...

I'm sick and tired of the 'oh, well he's an officer, he just made a mistake' mentality... Don't EVEN get me started on the BS that happened in VA....

We're either equal or we're not...

LEO 229

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
An officer accidentally shoot two people and 'whoops! It was an accident, my bad, I'll go to the range and get requalified'....

Lemme go 'accidentally' shoot two people, then I'm going to demand the judge order me to the range to improve my weapons safety....

Barring other mitigating circumstances... either fire the officer or make him a desk jockey, where he doesn't have to worry about incorrectly drawing his firearm again...

I'm sick and tired of the 'oh, well he's an officer, he just made a mistake' mentality... Don't EVEN get me started on the BS that happened in VA....

If you are planning to go do it.. it is no longer an accident. ;)

How is the judge getting involved? The judge is not going to order an officer to receive more training. The department may cause this to happen and they need to learn to keep their finger off the trigger.

It appears they witnessed a drug transaction and this would be a crime!! They went to investigate and with drug deals you also have armed dealers. So the gun drawn was proper.

I do not know exactly how the round went off or how they will explain it.

I do not agree with firing him or placing him on a desk for the rest of his life. There is one member on this forum that is pissed that a cop shot a man and was promoted to detective. This got him behind a desk and off the street. So you are not going to make everyone happy with that.

The officer should be punished for the shooting and get mandatory training.... but if you start firing cops for this... cops are going to be too scared. They will fear their gun will go off while it is being pointed at a criminal and this causes them to do one of two things.

They will stop drawing their guns or if they do they will not point them at the subject and this gives the subject an advantage to shoot first.

Or

They will just stop making arrests where they need to draw their gun.

What you may not know is that it takes 1.5 years to replace that officer. It is not like there is someone in line to take his spot. They have to go recruiting, testing, background checks, academy, field training... all before the guy gets cut loose.

If the officer was obviously negligent and a liability.. then get rid of him. But some really good cops can make mistakes too.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TechnoWeenie - the problem isn't that this may be ruled an accident on the part of the LEO or anything else in your scenario above. The problem is that the legal system usually doesn't give equal consideration to citizens. That LEO did not create that system, the politicians did. Even if LE petitioned the politicians for the disparity, it was still our elected representatives who cast the votes allowing it, and who fail to bring up bills and cast the votes to eliminate the disparity.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Here is something to think about. When you make a fist to fight... what happens to your other hand?

They both ball up!!

So, um, Leo, can you really not make just one fist? Can you move just one foot forward or do you have to hop? Sorry, just struck me as a bit funny. :)

launch.png

LEO 229

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

They both ball up!!

So, um, Leo, can you really not make just one fist? Can you move just one foot forward or do you have to hop? Sorry, just struck me as a bit funny. :)
HA!! I only with I could have viewed the image you posted to go with it... It did not work.

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Jim675 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

They both ball up!!

HA!! I only with I could have viewed the image you posted to go with it... It did not work.
Is that like walking and chewing gum at the same time?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

I half agree with you. I agree that we should be equal. If I accidently shoot someone I will likely NEVER be able to own a gun again and will owe the victim hundreds of thousands, if not a million dollars. Either my punishment should be less, or the office should face the same. And no, the PD shouldn't be paying the victim, the cop himself should.