• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to you conduct a Privatized sale of a handgun

burninsteeda04

imported post

Im curious as to how to conduct a privatized sale in the lovely state of South Carolina. Also What if your from another state selling and buying in SC.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
Im curious as to how to conduct a privatized sale in the lovely state of South Carolina. Also What if your from another state selling and buying in SC.
Privatized? WTF does that mean?

A resident of SC? IANAL there are no formal SC limits on a private sale. Ask your own questions, find your own answers - believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-esisting world view.

Contact Grass Roots South Carolina to get your head on straight. The 2A shall not be infringed.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO FOAD - From Seabrook/Kiawah Islands, SC

LEO 229

imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
Meet in person and trade Cash for the item in question.

I strongly suggest you draw up a receipt in case it turns out to be a stolen gun. This way you can at least show you bought it from someone else.

countrysinger19

imported post

First, I have a problem with the word "privatized" in the question. Hopefully it's just a typo, but the root word "privatize"is a verb, suggesting that someone performed the action of privatizing the sale. Who? The government? Government doesn't know how to privatize anything. A private sale of a firearm, by definition is simply a transaction between two private parties, rather than someone who deals in firearms as a business.

But I think the topic of how to safely and responsibly conduct a private sale/purchase of a firearm warrants discussion. I've never done so, but I've heard some good suggestions for how to go about it, so I'll share what I've heard. Hopefully some more people will chime in with their $.02, and help all of us be prepared should we ever need to conduct suh a transaction.

I am not a lawyer, but general knowledge is that SC does not have special restrictions on private sales of firearms.The seller is not responsibleto conduct a background check or do anything else different than selling a piece of furniture or other merhandise.The best way to conduct any sales transaction always depends on the situation. However, Ithink the best advise is simply to use common-sense caution.

It would beadvisablethat youmake a reasonable attempt not to be provide a firearm to someone with irresponsible or criminal intentions. A stringent, detailedapproval process is probably not called for, but finding out just whatthe buyer wants the gun for helps ensure that you're selling them something helpful to them, and helps you makeyour ownjudgementcall. Some people suggest acquiring and retaining a photocopy of the buyer's ID for some period of time -- like 6 months to a yearor more. Drafting a simple bill of sale and having both parties signsounds good. For the buyer, retaining a receipt and/or the aforementioned bill of sale is probably good practice.

And don't forget to keep your own safety in mind. I've heard it suggested that you never provide a buyer or seller with your home address or have them come to your home. That may be a bit extreme, but a meeting in a public placeis never bad advice whenconducting business with a stranger. Maybe you should meet at the range where the buyer can try out the gun before buying, and nobody intheir right mindwould darepull any tricks because there are other armed people there.

Probably the best advice of all is to consider and decide all of these specifics beforehand, instead of waiting until you're in a situation you didn't plan for. However you choose to carry out the transaction, safety, documentation, and good judgement are generally the best approach.

PT111

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
burninsteeda04 wrote:
Meet in person and trade Cash for the item in question.

I strongly suggest you draw up a receipt in case it turns out to be a stolen gun. This way you can at least show you bought it from someone else.

Pretty much the way you do it, if both are SC residents. If the buyer is not a SC resident then I suggest you check your local laws and follow them. In all probablility you will have to have it shipped to a FFL in your state and if needed such as NC a purchase permit or whtever it is called.

As for me as a SC resident and I was buying one from an out of state person I would meet in person and trade cash making sure the gun was not stolen (only from someone I knew or trusted).

That being said I have never bought one from out of state and don't plan to unless it is from a FFL. However I did bring my FIL's L C Smith 20 Gauge home from Charlotte when he died.