• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Experiences in Utah

manithree

OC'ed at (inlaws) family reunion

My wife's family had a reunion up Cedar Canyon this week and I OC'ed most of 4 days. Got a few "Why do you carry?" but more "What are you carrying" by people who mostly knew what a Sig P229 in .40 S&W meant. Never got to talk to the guy in the "Double Tap Ammunition" shirt, but one retired cop started giving me some free training.

There were a couple of times where I only got to say " Because a cop is too heavy" but couldn't have a better discussion because of other constraints. So I wrote up my own personal Why I Carry page specifically for people who know me. Any comments would be appreciated.

When I am openly (not concealed) carrying my handgun I am occasionally asked why I do that. My usual response (thanks to Kathy Jackson) is "Because a cop is too heavy."

While I think that sums up my defensive carry pretty well, here's a slightly longer answer to that question.

1. A prophet of God has said that it's my responsibility to protect my family. Carrying a defensive weapon is one part of trying to follow that admonition. I love my wife and children. I don't want to ever regret not being prepared to defend them.
2. I believe that defending my family is a social obligation as well as a religious obligation.
3. I want more law-abiding citizens to carry because it deters crime. This is especially important for women (I have 3 daughters).

And some miscellaneous thoughts on this subject:

* "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington
* "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Col. Jeff Cooper
* "I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." -- Susan B. Anthony
* "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." -- Mohandas Gandhi
* Gun Facts

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so thatI don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

-- anonymous

I don't want to manually re-create the links from html (and some of the links are really important), so following the link above is better than this pasted text-only version.

Pistol Pete Utah

OCing in front of 2 of "Sandy's Finest"

My next door neighbor's ex-wife is out in front of his house with 2 Sandy City police officers. I get my dog, kids and gun and we start off for a walk we stroll pass the Cops talking to each other. My dog walk rig is my XD40 in my Serpa #II holster, with my favorite shirt "Infidel" on. I nod at the Cops who have noticed my gun, even through their sunglasses, I could see that look on their faces, "WTH." They nod back and that was that, they got done with the call and drove past my kids and I and said nothing.
These Cops must be educated about OCing in Utah or they could not be bothered, I am convinced those Cops that give guys like us a hard time are big Anti-Gun Cops and they are not your friend nor your friend in freedom.

Utah_Patriot

Mount Timpanogos

Today was a great day for open carry here at Mount Timpanogos. I open carried the whole hike with my youth group not a single problem or issue.

It was hot and crowded up their I walked part of the way down with the ranger and no issues at all. It was a great trip and no issues to report at all. Except my full size glock 21 did get crowded when fitting into narrow areas.

It was a great time for the kids and adults with no problems. Kudos to

Mount Timpanogos

Utah_Patriot

Carl's Junior

Last night 8/2/2010 I went to the Carl's Junior on 200 South State Street. Their was a SLCPD Officer who is posted their every night (Not always the same officer)

He comes over and introduces himself to me and we have a regular conversation. He stated last week when I came in he noticed my firearm and asked if the shoulder holster was new. I told him I like the shoulder rig when I am on my motorcycle.

We talked about our military experiences and several other topics. So seems like Salt Lake City police department is getting the word open carry is legal.

I like to post these experiences to show others open carry is not always negative but can be positive. So carry on and I look forward to seeing more open carriers.

ASH

Open Carry in Weber/Davis county areas of Utah

Brand new to the forums and like reading about other peoples experiences.

Open Carry in Weber/Davis county areas of Utah.

I have recently started open carry every where I go in the Davis and Weber county areas of Utah and would like to say that so far I have had zero problems with LEO or anyone else. So far my experiences have been very good.
When I walk into some stores I get the impression that the people don't even realize I am carrying, and I usually carry in a black horizontal rig over light colored t-shirts.
The one thing I have noticed is that every time I am out on my Harley I seem to get a lot more distance put around me by people driving cars. Don't know if that is because of the weapon or what. Still, it is interesting to observe.
If I ever find businesses that ask me to leave I will respect their policies by not spending my money there and posting their names so others won't get hassled.

I posted this on another forum but couldn't figure out how to import that post over here so if you happen to see it twice that's why.

Sorti

I OC my XDm 9 everywhere I go here in Vernal. It's quite large but I have a black blackhawk nylon holster and I am usually wearing blue jeans and a black or dark colored shirt. I also have my Blackberry holster right in front of it, so it all blends in nicely.

I haven't had any negative comments save one. I went into a locally owned shop and they owner asked if I was LEO. When I said no, he said You must be proud of that thing to carry it around like that. I laughed and said it's one of the great things about living in Utah. We talked a bit about the laws then moved on to what he did in his shop.

In one of the restaraunts I frequent, the waitress who knows me said Oh you are carrying a gun today? I laughed and told her I carry every time I come in. She laughed and said she never noticed.

Today I was running all over town and had to make a stop at the bank. When I walked in the lobby, there was a long line to get to the tellers. I started to leave then thought Nah, I need to get this done, and got in line. The bank manager was asking everyone if they were just making deposits or needed cash back. Guess they all needed cash and when she got to me I said I was just making a check deposit. She said she could help me and we walked back to her office.

On the way to her office I passed the tellers (armed side) and several offices which I am sure could see me once my back was turned. Went in the managers office, filled out the paperwork, and we chatted and laughed for a while. I don't think she even noticed my side arm until I left and she was behind me. She stopped in her tracks for a second looking at me, then shrugged it off and we parted ways.

I have my permit, but I am more comfortable going OC. It has brought some looks and questions my way but I always look at it as a chance to spread the word about OC'ing and tell them to look into it, and try it.

Vernal so far has been a positive place to OC. Hope it continues that way.

Sorti

PS. One thing I might change is putting my phone on my weak side. Would hate for someone to think I was going for my gun when the phone vibrates.... :uhoh:

Last edited: