• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Experiences in Utah

ScottyT

imported post

So I got the idea for this thread after reading the same type of thing in the Virginia Forum:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3995-1.html

Reading there has really gotten me more interested in OC. I have been CC pretty much every day since I got my permit last summer, but I really like the education opportunities that can come from OC, not to mention it being more comfortable.

The first time I OCd anywhere but the range was yesterday, just around the apartment, out to get the mail, cleaning out the car, etc. My neighbors didn't mention anything, they know I am a responsible gun owner. It felt really good! I also noticed that I maintain "condition yellow" awareness much better when I am OC

I am attending the OC meet tomorrow at Sweet Tomatoes, along with a couple of friends and I am very much looking forward to it!

Share your experiences, tell us where you go, where you encounter problems, where you OC unmolested, etc... I think it will be great to here about businesses (esp. in SLC area) that frown on OC or are friendly.

Shaolin

imported post

I've OCed at Golden Corral, WalMart, Barnes & Noble, around Apt. complex, Emigration Market. No problems what so ever.

ScottyT

imported post

Ate at Red Robin Monday night, was wearing a white polo shirt and khakis, so my gun really stood out, nobody mentioned it, everyone was friendly. Good food, great service.

Out shopping for a voice recorder last night. Hit Wal-Mart first, they didn't have any and I got help from an employee, either nobody noticed or nobody said anything.

Talked to the lady at the photo counter at Walgreens, she saw it but never said anything and was very friendly.

Found what I was looking for at Best Buy at an amazing price ($43.99 retail on clearance for $8.49!), talked to an employee about the recorder, price, etc, then he asked me about my gun. He used to work at Holladay Gun Club and has a CC permit, but didn't know about the legality of OC. We talked for 10 minutes in the middle of the aisle, I had my arms folded and everyone walking by saw my sidearm, nobody said anything. I gave him one of my pamphlets and he said he will have to try OC sometime. I should have gotten his number and invited him to the next meet, but I didn't think of it. This site and UCC are listed on the pamphlet though, so maybe he will find his own way there.

It was a great night and now I have my voice recorder!

arme

imported post

Today was my first OC experience. I was at Mongolian BBQ in Springville. At first a few people just stared and then looked away and shrugged it off. I sat down to eat and immediately an old man was in my face harassing me. He asked if I had a permit and I responded "it's not loaded" (mag was full but not one in the chamber) so I basically asked him what the problem was and he said that one could not OC in the city limits. I asked him to back it up, he could not. He then asked me to cover it up. So basically he wanted someone who he thought did not have a CCW to conceal a weapon??? ;)

Just to avoid a huge fight I went ahead andcovered it up with my shirt. The man went back to his table. After a few mins I confronted him to set the record straight. After he calmed down he actually apologized for getting in my face so boldly, he said he was a retired cop. I informed him that it was completely legal for me to OC whether I had a CCW or not because it was not concealed nor loaded by the definition of the law.

This was quite a neg exp for me as I always try my best to follow the rules and the law. It made me feel harassed and that my rights were infringed upon by someone who should have known the laws. I'm so glad I have this forum to vent my frustrations. Definately going to participate more in these forums as I need some moral support, thanks all.

Shaolin

imported post

So I guess you do not have a CCW, because you said you did not have one in the chamber? By concealing it you broke the law.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! I too have openly carried in that Mongolian BBQ. Sorry to hear about the retired cop, but it sounds like you did a great job of setting him straight!

Shaolin

imported post

Was at Harmon's in Roy today (OCing), as I was checking out the cashier asked if I was a cop, I said no. Then why do you have a gun, I told her that Utah Law permitted me to. She said that was scary, I asked why? I told her that anyone 18 years or older can OC in Utah, but not fully loaded, but if you have a CCW you can carry fully loaded. She asked if mine was fully loaded, I told her yes. Again she said that is scary. I asked why, she said she does not like guns. I tolded her what if someone came in and robbed you, she said she would freak out. I told her that at least I could protect myself and anyone with me, if threaten or shot at. She said that would be good. So I went on my way.

ScottyT

imported post

My wife OCed with me for the first time on Friday night! We just got her the KelTec P3AT, it is a little rough to shoot with, but she loves it and it is the perfect size for her. She is planning on getting her CFP in a few months, until then she will be OCing with me!

We went to Wal-Mart to buy a few things and I realized my wallet/CFP were in the car, so I ran back outside to get it. While I was outside, an employee asked her if her pistol was real and she assured him that is was, but it wasn't a big deal.

On the way home, she proposed the idea that a lot more people will question her on it than will question me. She is much more approachable than her 6'5" 230 lb husband with a big old gun.

I will encourage her to get on the forums to share her own experiences, and I encourage all of you to encourage the women in your life to join our cause!

arme

imported post

I do have a CCW but I did not reveal that to the person at he time as it did not matter because I did not have a round in the chamber. I was kind of testing him to see how much he knew about the open carry law which he not only knew nothing he was trying to tell me that Utah was not an open carry state. It would probably be better for one to know the rules before taking it upong themself to impose them upon others.LOL. I really hope he went home and looked them up.

Cadet Higham

imported post

Any ideas for doing so?

Welcome arme! Sorry to hear about the ignorant ex-cop.

Edit: Went to Harmon's at 7700 south and 700 east tonight. Didn't have any problems, except for employees giving me funny looks.

Ketch

imported post

I was wondering, does anyone know the usual punishment for carrying concealed without a permit? It might be useful in a situation like this where someone is asking a person without a permit to conceal their weapon. The conversation could go, "Concealing without a permit is illegal and I dont have $______ to pay that fine or the desire to serve the jail time."

Just a thought...

colormered

imported post

The maximum fine for a class B misdemeanor is $1000, so it's not something I'd take too lightly!! Makes for some interesting expressions when you ask the guy that wants you to conceal (illegally) if he's willing to pay the fine!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

arme wrote:
Today was my first OC experience. I was at Mongolian BBQ in Springville. At first a few people just stared and then looked away and shrugged it off. I sat down to eat and immediately an old man was in my face harassing me. He asked if I had a permit and I responded "it's not loaded" (mag was full but not one in the chamber) so I basically asked him what the problem was and he said that one could not OC in the city limits. I asked him to back it up, he could not. He then asked me to cover it up. So basically he wanted someone who he thought did not have a CCW to conceal a weapon??? ;)

Just to avoid a huge fight I went ahead andcovered it up with my shirt. The man went back to his table. After a few mins I confronted him to set the record straight. After he calmed down he actually apologized for getting in my face so boldly, he said he was a retired cop. I informed him that it was completely legal for me to OC whether I had a CCW or not because it was not concealed nor loaded by the definition of the law.

This was quite a neg exp for me as I always try my best to follow the rules and the law. It made me feel harassed and that my rights were infringed upon by someone who should have known the laws. I'm so glad I have this forum to vent my frustrations. Definately going to participate more in these forums as I need some moral support, thanks all.

Maybe this is the reason why he is an EX-cop:cuss::celebrate

TJ

ScottyT

imported post

OCed down to Provo today, it seemed like more people noticed, but only one mentioned it. We were having dinner at little Italy and my waiter commented on my XD 45, he has the XD 40sc and loves it. He asked me about carrying openly and needing a permit, we chatted for a minute and I gave him a pamphlet. Good experience.

broncbob

imported post

Have not had trouble in West jordan, any where i have gone.

Did have a run in in Riverton in front of my home. Was cleared up after a few.

rocknsnow

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
OCed down to Provo today, it seemed like more people noticed, but only one mentioned it. We were having dinner at little Italy and my waiter commented on my XD 45, he has the XD 40sc and loves it. He asked me about carrying openly and needing a permit, we chatted for a minute and I gave him a pamphlet. Good experience.
I have had some interesting experiences in provo. There have been either positive or negative. And most of them have been with students. They are either for guns or against them. It was really interesting.

Utah_Patriot

SLC Police

On Thursday night 6/24/2010 I stopped by 7-11 on 200 East 100 South to get a Soda after work. I noticed several SLCPD Cars parked their and decided to go in anyways.

I was wearing a shoulder holster with my G21-C and extra mag pouch. After I exited I noticed several SLCPD officers talking in front of my Motorcycle so as I got on my bike one of them asked me what kind of firearm I replied and we had a good conversation about why we all like Glocks.

This was a good experience and I expect to write a letter or call thanking the police department for going above and beyond on their open carry education they have mandatory for their SLCPD officers.

This is a good example of Officers doing the right thing when in the presence of a openly carried firearm. I was never asked for my permit or if it was loaded or if I was legal.

Thank you Salt Lake City Police Officers for being the example.

LovesHisXD45

Awesome! :) Glad you are having good experiences now. I thought the bad juju monster was following you around for awhile there. It's good to know SLCPD has got its act together with regard to OC as well.

Kevin