Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: April 20th, 2008 Lunch/Dinner Get-Together

  1. #1
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    So, as it's been mentioned before elsewhere, the third Sunday of the month is the 20th and that's when we have our monthly lunch/dinner 'thang'.

    I haven't really heard any suggestions for location or even region in the Puget Sound area, so throw 'em out there and let's try to get this nailed down with at least 4-7 days to spare.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA, ,
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    I'll be over there visiting my ill grandma and other family. I will mostly be in the Seattle/Lynwood/Everett area, so something around there would work best for me. I plan on bringing a bunch of the WA gun rights pamphlets with me, so those of you who will be at this "thang" can get them hand delivered and avoid the shipping if you want to wait until the lunch. Just let me know. I havent been to the area for a while, so I will leave specific plans to you guys. That is the area that works best for me though.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, ,
    Posts
    608

    Post imported post

    more northern.... like by me.

  4. #4
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Well, we've done pretty much everywhere from Olympia to Everett in the last year or so. Perhaps somewhere like Mount Vernon?... Not that it would cause much of a stir, I should think, due to that area being decently rural, but you never know with all the new housing developments going up around there.

    Problem is, I don't know Mount Vernon restaurants better than the major fast food chains like McD's, J-i-t-B, BK, etc... And, from past experience, I know we need to 'scout' places prior to setting the date/time/location so we know they can handle a group of 7-20 people.

    So, I figure we can try anywhere from Lynnwood to Mount Vernon, which includes Edmonds, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, Everett, Lake Stevens, Arlington, Mukilteo and Snohomish (oh, I guess I forgot about that one lunch we did in Snohomish, so call it Olympia to Snohomish).

    Lots of options in all those cities, especially since there's the Alderwood, Everett and Mount Vernon Malls which all have food courts and restaurants located within walking distance.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  5. #5
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    Used to live up in Stanwood, but what's there now? Who knows; the place was growing so fast last time I was in the area, nothing I used to know then may be there now. There was a great Mexican place in the middle of town though. That might be worth a try. Getting far up north might cause an issue, since gas is getting so damn expensive......

  6. #6
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    Guys, how does North Bend sound? I haven't been up that way in some time,and it is somewhere we haven't gone before. It seems like a good place to get some exposure for OC.........just a thought.

  7. #7
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    Guys, how does North Bend sound? I haven't been up that way in some time,and it is somewhere we haven't gone before. It seems like a good place to get some exposure for OC.........just a thought.
    You wanna talk about expensive gas trips?!?... No thanks. Plus, it's in the Cascades; likely they're used to it.

    Hell, I was up there last weekend with a buddy shooting in the mountains and the sheriff simply asked us to holster our sidearms that we had finished shooting while he spoke with us (I guess the area was a no-shoot area, but wasn't marked as such, even though it was WELL off the beaten path and there were already people up there shooting when we arrived).
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Jim675's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,037

    Post imported post

    How about an afternoon ferry ride and a stroll around one of Ports? Otherwise I'm good for anything between Oly and B-ham.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Gene Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    426

    Post imported post

    Depending on the start time, I would be able to do Bellingham to Centralia. I work the night before, but not the night of the 20th (for once). A start time of 2:00 would be fine for anywhere in King Co. Extreme north or south would need a later start time or I would show up later.

  10. #10
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:
    Guys, how does North Bend sound? I haven't been up that way in some time,and it is somewhere we haven't gone before. It seems like a good place to get some exposure for OC.........just a thought.
    You wanna talk about expensive gas trips?!?... No thanks. Plus, it's in the Cascades; likely they're used to it.

    Hell, I was up there last weekend with a buddy shooting in the mountains and the sheriff simply asked us to holster our sidearms that we had finished shooting while he spoke with us (I guess the area was a no-shoot area, but wasn't marked as such, even though it was WELL off the beaten path and there were already people up there shooting when we arrived).
    I didn't think up 18 was that big of a deal.....:? I know Bellingham is out of the question for most people, as it is just too damn far away. If it ends up being there, you can count me out.

    Somewhere in King County sounds like a good middle ground......except for when we have problem areas, we should try to make these lunches in an area where the most people can make it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member mtlhdtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, Wa
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    How about West Seattle home of Rep Jim McDimwit? Also since I lurk more than post how aboutplanninga picnic for the 4th of July being National Open Carry Day and all? To get a good spot you better start now.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA, ,
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    while it is a ways away from Seattle, I do like north Bend. I was there for 5 days last year at the Washington State Patrol Fire Training Academy. It is an awfully refreshing place to be, and not really that far from Seattle. Maybe a bit out of the way, but not far in my opinion, which really ain't worth jack most of the time anyway. I don't imagine I will have much time to go any further south than Seattle or maybe Sea-tac.

    Is there anything going on that day somewhere that would garner a lot of visibility/public interaction opportunities in the Seattle area? Have you guys ever met up near Alki Beach? It's pretty nice over there if the weather is decent, and I think my gf would like Alki. Maybe there is a spot by the Ballard locks? I dunno, just a few ideas. These isn't a whole lot that I know about areas outside Seattle.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    There's Ivar's Fish Bar on the waterfront near the ferry terminal, and "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" Both attract a lot of tourist types and are open enough to get a good show of OC. And a ferry trip from Kitsap or Bainbridge Is.makes it a little closer.

    Unfortunately, I will have trouble making any of the OC lunches until after October. I am dividing my time etween 2 jobs, Sportsman's Warehouse and the Mariners. I might be able to malke the one on the 20th.

    Jim

  14. #14
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Trigger Dr wrote:
    There's Ivar's Fish Bar on the waterfront near the ferry terminal, and "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" Both attract a lot of tourist types and are open enough to get a good show of OC. And a ferry trip from Kitsap or Bainbridge Is.makes it a little closer.

    Unfortunately, I will have trouble making any of the OC lunches until after October. I am dividing my time etween 2 jobs, Sportsman's Warehouse and the Mariners. I might be able to malke the one on the 20th.

    Jim
    We did both Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe and then ate at Ivar's when the Pike Place Market lunch fell through. I believe that was February.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Jim675's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,037

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    Trigger Dr wrote: We did both Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe and then ate at Ivar's when the Pike Place Market lunch fell through. I believe that was February.
    Good point, I missed that one. Mount Vernon sounds good as well. If folks can make it to Seattle I can car pool 4 up to MV.


  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA, ,
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    I will be driving over in the morning and I have to drop my mom and my sister off at my grandmas house before I come to the lunch, so I don't want to commit to driving too far. My grandma is in Everett. I don't want to make this difficult for everyone else, but I just know that my time will be limited once I get there.

    So......how about somewhere around Everett? Would that be do-able?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    I live in Oak Harbor, pretty close to Mount Vernon. I can go out and scout some places. I know a few Italian places near the mall (Olive Garden and Johnny Corrinos are good) and there is a Red Robin in the same parking lot. There's also a new place called Cascade Brewery and Resturant that I've been curious about. I'm not sure if they are OC friendly but I can check it out! Most places are just off I-5, exits 229 and 230. Traffic's not bad after you get past Marysville, takes about an hour from Seattle. I might also suggest checking out the Tulip Festival in Mount Vernon.

    Can't wait to finally make it to an event!!!!

    Josh

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA, ,
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    Mightybigjosh wrote:
    I live in Oak Harbor, pretty close to Mount Vernon. I can go out and scout some places. I know a few Italian places near the mall (Olive Garden and Johnny Corrinos are good) and there is a Red Robin in the same parking lot. There's also a new place called Cascade Brewery and Resturant that I've been curious about. I'm not sure if they are OC friendly but I can check it out! Most places are just off I-5, exits 229 and 230. Traffic's not bad after you get past Marysville, takes about an hour from Seattle. I might also suggest checking out the Tulip Festival in Mount Vernon.

    Can't wait to finally make it to an event!!!!

    Josh
    Cascade brewery is definitely somewhere I would like to go to. I brew my own and always enjoy going to new brewpubs to try out new beers. I don't drink when I OC in public, but I would love to try a few little tasters and take one or two growlers home. I also enjoy scouting out breweries and brewpubs, because one day my dream is to stop sailing in the merchant marine and open my own brewpub.

    If you scout them out, will you try to remember to see if they sell beer to go?

    What time does everybody want to meet up? I need to find out soon so I know about what time I have to leave Spokane.

  19. #19
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Normally, we meet up anywhere from noon to 2pm and, depending on the atmosphere and the group, we stick around for a few hours or sometimes until 8 or 9pm if the situation is right (such as Old School Pizzaria in Olympia).

    I just did a bit of searching (which took some doing, as there's a more popular brewry in Australia with the same name) for Cascade Brewry and Restaurant and found it was all the way up in Burlington... North of Mount Vernon. Honestly, I think that's verging on 'too North' for most OCDO members that actually show up. Most of us are Seattle-Metro-area.

    ...and really, Mount Vernon and such areas are so rural that it would be like OC'ing in Sultan or Index; no one would care. Now, Monroe is a different story; it used to be pretty rural but in the last decade it's grown by leaps and bounds.

    What does everyone think about Monroe? I know they have a lot of restaurants up and down I-2 there through the middle of town. Admittedly, since they have the Gun Show there every month or so, it still would be rather non-interesting, I would imagine.

    So, I dunno....:?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA, ,
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    Can't say I know anything about the area, yet again.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    194

    Post imported post

    Burlington is across the river from Mt Vernon. Two minutes on the freeway? There is a pretty good BBQ place in Mt Vernon, but of course I can't remember the name.

    Also, the tulip thing, if you take the Conway, LaConnor exit and follow the signs to the tulip festival there will be a large roadside stand where they sell food, tulips, t-shirts and Ice cream.It's mostly open air butwould give us a LOT of exposure to the hundreds of people up from the big city to look at the pretty flowers. It would also help with getting your wives/girlfriends to come along. Conway is about 15 minutes south of Mt Vernon on I-5 and consists of two gas stations and 5 houses or so. Oh yeah, several antique places too, maybe ya oughta leave the wives at home....

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    That would be the Double Barrel BBQ on HW 20 East just seconds from the freeway. 320 N Burlington Blvd, Burlington, WA 98233. Come on guys, the name says it all!!!

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA, ,
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    Mightybigjosh wrote:
    the name says it all!!!
    +1000

    Lets do it.

  24. #24
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    Mightybigjosh wrote:
    That would be the Double Barrel BBQ on HW 20 East just seconds from the freeway. 320 N Burlington Blvd, Burlington, WA 98233. Come on guys, the name says it all!!!
    I'm in. If some folks want to carpool from Tacoma/Federal Way let me know as well.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    194

    Post imported post

    Actually it would have been Country Girls BBQ...whos' phone is disconnected or no longer in service.

    Double Barrel isn't open on Sunday.

    The search continues....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •