• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

April 20th, 2008 Lunch/Dinner Get-Together

just_a_car

imported post

So, as it's been mentioned before elsewhere, the third Sunday of the month is the 20th and that's when we have our monthly lunch/dinner 'thang'.

I haven't really heard any suggestions for location or even region in the Puget Sound area, so throw 'em out there and let's try to get this nailed down with at least 4-7 days to spare.

surfj9009

imported post

I'll be over there visiting my ill grandma and other family. I will mostly be in the Seattle/Lynwood/Everett area, so something around there would work best for me. I plan on bringing a bunch of the WA gun rights pamphlets with me, so those of you who will be at this "thang" can get them hand delivered and avoid the shipping if you want to wait until the lunch. Just let me know. I havent been to the area for a while, so I will leave specific plans to you guys. That is the area that works best for me though.

just_a_car

imported post

Well, we've done pretty much everywhere from Olympia to Everett in the last year or so. Perhaps somewhere like Mount Vernon?... Not that it would cause much of a stir, I should think, due to that area being decently rural, but you never know with all the new housing developments going up around there.

Problem is, I don't know Mount Vernon restaurants better than the major fast food chains like McD's, J-i-t-B, BK, etc... And, from past experience, I know we need to 'scout' places prior to setting the date/time/location so we know they can handle a group of 7-20 people.

So, I figure we can try anywhere from Lynnwood to Mount Vernon, which includes Edmonds, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, Everett, Lake Stevens, Arlington, Mukilteo and Snohomish (oh, I guess I forgot about that one lunch we did in Snohomish, so call it Olympia to Snohomish).

Lots of options in all those cities, especially since there's the Alderwood, Everett and Mount Vernon Malls which all have food courts and restaurants located within walking distance.

compmanio365

imported post

Used to live up in Stanwood, but what's there now? Who knows; the place was growing so fast last time I was in the area, nothing I used to know then may be there now. There was a great Mexican place in the middle of town though. That might be worth a try. Getting far up north might cause an issue, since gas is getting so damn expensive......

compmanio365

imported post

Guys, how does North Bend sound? I haven't been up that way in some time,and it is somewhere we haven't gone before. It seems like a good place to get some exposure for OC.........just a thought.

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Guys, how does North Bend sound? I haven't been up that way in some time,and it is somewhere we haven't gone before. It seems like a good place to get some exposure for OC.........just a thought.
You wanna talk about expensive gas trips?!?... No thanks. Plus, it's in the Cascades; likely they're used to it.

Hell, I was up there last weekend with a buddy shooting in the mountains and the sheriff simply asked us to holster our sidearms that we had finished shooting while he spoke with us (I guess the area was a no-shoot area, but wasn't marked as such, even though it was WELL off the beaten path and there were already people up there shooting when we arrived).

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

How about an afternoon ferry ride and a stroll around one of Ports? Otherwise I'm good for anything between Oly and B-ham.

Gene Beasley

imported post

Depending on the start time, I would be able to do Bellingham to Centralia. I work the night before, but not the night of the 20th (for once). A start time of 2:00 would be fine for anywhere in King Co. Extreme north or south would need a later start time or I would show up later.

compmanio365

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
You wanna talk about expensive gas trips?!?... No thanks. Plus, it's in the Cascades; likely they're used to it.

Hell, I was up there last weekend with a buddy shooting in the mountains and the sheriff simply asked us to holster our sidearms that we had finished shooting while he spoke with us (I guess the area was a no-shoot area, but wasn't marked as such, even though it was WELL off the beaten path and there were already people up there shooting when we arrived).

I didn't think up 18 was that big of a deal.....:? I know Bellingham is out of the question for most people, as it is just too damn far away. If it ends up being there, you can count me out.

Somewhere in King County sounds like a good middle ground......except for when we have problem areas, we should try to make these lunches in an area where the most people can make it.

mtlhdtodd

imported post

How about West Seattle home of Rep Jim McDimwit? Also since I lurk more than post how aboutplanninga picnic for the 4th of July being National Open Carry Day and all? To get a good spot you better start now.

surfj9009

imported post

while it is a ways away from Seattle, I do like north Bend. I was there for 5 days last year at the Washington State Patrol Fire Training Academy. It is an awfully refreshing place to be, and not really that far from Seattle. Maybe a bit out of the way, but not far in my opinion, which really ain't worth jack most of the time anyway.:D I don't imagine I will have much time to go any further south than Seattle or maybe Sea-tac.

Is there anything going on that day somewhere that would garner a lot of visibility/public interaction opportunities in the Seattle area? Have you guys ever met up near Alki Beach? It's pretty nice over there if the weather is decent, and I think my gf would like Alki. Maybe there is a spot by the Ballard locks? I dunno, just a few ideas. These isn't a whole lot that I know about areas outside Seattle.

Trigger Dr

imported post

There's Ivar's Fish Bar on the waterfront near the ferry terminal, and "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" Both attract a lot of tourist types and are open enough to get a good show of OC. And a ferry trip from Kitsap or Bainbridge Is.makes it a little closer.

Unfortunately, I will have trouble making any of the OC lunches until after October. I am dividing my time etween 2 jobs, Sportsman's Warehouse and the Mariners. I might be able to malke the one on the 20th.

Jim

just_a_car

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
There's Ivar's Fish Bar on the waterfront near the ferry terminal, and "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" Both attract a lot of tourist types and are open enough to get a good show of OC. And a ferry trip from Kitsap or Bainbridge Is.makes it a little closer.

Unfortunately, I will have trouble making any of the OC lunches until after October. I am dividing my time etween 2 jobs, Sportsman's Warehouse and the Mariners. I might be able to malke the one on the 20th.

Jim

We did both Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe and then ate at Ivar's when the Pike Place Market lunch fell through. I believe that was February.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote: We did both Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe and then ate at Ivar's when the Pike Place Market lunch fell through. I believe that was February.
Good point, I missed that one. Mount Vernon sounds good as well. If folks can make it to Seattle I can car pool 4 up to MV.

surfj9009

imported post

I will be driving over in the morning and I have to drop my mom and my sister off at my grandmas house before I come to the lunch, so I don't want to commit to driving too far. My grandma is in Everett. I don't want to make this difficult for everyone else, but I just know that my time will be limited once I get there.

So......how about somewhere around Everett? Would that be do-able?

Mightybigjosh

imported post

I live in Oak Harbor, pretty close to Mount Vernon. I can go out and scout some places. I know a few Italian places near the mall (Olive Garden and Johnny Corrinos are good) and there is a Red Robin in the same parking lot. There's also a new place called Cascade Brewery and Resturant that I've been curious about. I'm not sure if they are OC friendly but I can check it out! Most places are just off I-5, exits 229 and 230. Traffic's not bad after you get past Marysville, takes about an hour from Seattle. I might also suggest checking out the Tulip Festival in Mount Vernon.

Can't wait to finally make it to an event!!!!

Josh

surfj9009

imported post

Mightybigjosh wrote:
I live in Oak Harbor, pretty close to Mount Vernon. I can go out and scout some places. I know a few Italian places near the mall (Olive Garden and Johnny Corrinos are good) and there is a Red Robin in the same parking lot. There's also a new place called Cascade Brewery and Resturant that I've been curious about. I'm not sure if they are OC friendly but I can check it out! Most places are just off I-5, exits 229 and 230. Traffic's not bad after you get past Marysville, takes about an hour from Seattle. I might also suggest checking out the Tulip Festival in Mount Vernon.

Can't wait to finally make it to an event!!!!

Josh
Cascade brewery is definitely somewhere I would like to go to. I brew my own and always enjoy going to new brewpubs to try out new beers. I don't drink when I OC in public, but I would love to try a few little tasters and take one or two growlers home. I also enjoy scouting out breweries and brewpubs, because one day my dream is to stop sailing in the merchant marine and open my own brewpub.

If you scout them out, will you try to remember to see if they sell beer to go?

What time does everybody want to meet up? I need to find out soon so I know about what time I have to leave Spokane.

just_a_car

imported post

Normally, we meet up anywhere from noon to 2pm and, depending on the atmosphere and the group, we stick around for a few hours or sometimes until 8 or 9pm if the situation is right (such as Old School Pizzaria in Olympia).

I just did a bit of searching (which took some doing, as there's a more popular brewry in Australia with the same name) for Cascade Brewry and Restaurant and found it was all the way up in Burlington... North of Mount Vernon. Honestly, I think that's verging on 'too North' for most OCDO members that actually show up. Most of us are Seattle-Metro-area.

...and really, Mount Vernon and such areas are so rural that it would be like OC'ing in Sultan or Index; no one would care. Now, Monroe is a different story; it used to be pretty rural but in the last decade it's grown by leaps and bounds.

What does everyone think about Monroe? I know they have a lot of restaurants up and down I-2 there through the middle of town. Admittedly, since they have the Gun Show there every month or so, it still would be rather non-interesting, I would imagine.

So, I dunno....:?