• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about OC on state college property

CPerdue

imported post

Bill,

You can carry right into the president's office if you like.

Search about some here for lots of info on this topic.

C.

Neplusultra

imported post

CPerdue wrote:
Bill,

You can carry right into the president's office if you like.

Search about some here for lots of info on this topic.

C.
Doesn't the AG's opinion and the fact the GA didn't pass the campus carry bill indicate that classroom or buildings are off limits? I'm still fuzzy about this myself. Outdoors no issue, indoors???? Like I said I think you'd win the case if it came to it but how much would that cost?

CPerdue

imported post

Bill,

Quoting from Va. AG OP. NO. 05-078 (the last three paragraphs)
It is my opinion that the safe operation of the campus allows regulation of, or under limited circumstances, prohibition of, firearms by any persons attending events on campus, visiting dormitories or classroom buildings, attending specific events as invitees, or under any circumstance permitted by law. The universal prohibition of firearms by properly permitted persons other than students, faculty, administration, or employees, however, is not allowed [emphasis added] under law. A board of visitors has responsibility for the protection of the students enrolled at their university. At the same time, the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States14 and by Article I, § 13, of the Constitution of Virginia,15 which protect all citizens, may not be summarily dismissed for transient reasons.

In light of the General Assembly’s specific statements regarding the limits of carrying concealed handguns and the grant of authority to colleges and universities to regulate the conduct of students and employees, it is my opinion that neither a board of visitors nor a president of a public college or university may infer authority from its enabling legislation to adopt a universal prohibition of carrying concealed handguns by holders with valid permits.

Conclusion

Accordingly, it is my opinion that the governing boards of Virginia’s public colleges and universities may not impose a general prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons by permitted individuals. Pursuant to specific grants of statutory authority, however, it is my opinion that colleges and universities may regulate the conduct of students and employees to prohibit them from carrying concealed weapons on campus.
I don't know of any 'circumstance permitted by law' which would prevent you from carrying on your walk. Maybe a track meet on the trail.

In your case carry a much more potent gun and a forked walking stick. No need to blast poor innocent snakes when they can just be prodded out of the way, rat shot is going to hit your dog too, and you just might have to put down a two-legged snake sometime.

Enjoy the walk,

C.