• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here we go again, who's going?

bohdi

imported post

I've been thinking about this alot. I don't think I'm going to go, and perhaps none of us should. There's already been a small victory with them being told to stay off campus, lol. If we (pro-rights) folks show up, that will just give more film for the news crews, and make the nightly story that much longer. Typically I'm all for showing up and quietly standing around, lingering if you will, while excercising my first amendment rights. But what if no one else showed up? That would actually be funny, because it would lend no credibility to their cause and what they are trying to do. Can you imagine if there were just the 32 morons there to lie down? If I was a newsie I'd be like, what a BS assignment, this isn't a story......

sjhipple

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I've been thinking about this alot. I don't think I'm going to go, and perhaps none of us should. There's already been a small victory with them being told to stay off campus, lol. If we (pro-rights) folks show up, that will just give more film for the news crews, and make the nightly story that much longer. Typically I'm all for showing up and quietly standing around, lingering if you will, while excercising my first amendment rights. But what if no one else showed up? That would actually be funny, because it would lend no credibility to their cause and what they are trying to do. Can you imagine if there were just the 32 morons there to lie down? If I was a newsie I'd be like, what a BS assignment, this isn't a story......
I think we should make our voice heard, but just be careful to ensure it's not too loud on this solemn occasion. When good men stay silent...

bohdi

imported post

I think we shoud be heard too, I'm an advocate about that, don't get me wrong. Pick your time though....fire for effect. That sort of thing.

sjhipple

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I think we shoud be heard too, I'm an advocate about that, don't get me wrong. Pick your time though....fire for effect. That sort of thing.
For sure. I think VCDL is right not to do anything on VT's campus that day. In front of the Supreme Court, I wouldn't mind having a few people wearing t-shirts or signs on their back and solemnly, quietly, respectfully looking on.

Neplusultra

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I'm going to be there. But what I'm going to do is go around to all the news groups and ask them not to film the PEGers out of respect for the day.

sjhipple

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
Maybe signs quoting Kaine's "riding their political hobbyhorse" statement would be appropriate as a counter protest.

I like this alot

-edit-

ALOT!
OK, do you have a link? I'd like to see this.

The suggestion was to goto the Lie In andsimply carry signs with a quote from Governor Kaine about people who are trying to politicize VT.

"People who want to take this within 24 hours of the event and make it their political hobby horse to ride, I've got nothing but loathing for them" -- Gov. T. Kaine

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have given this some thought and this is what I have come up with.

April 16 should be a day of remembrance and reflection, not a day of protest. I think it would be appropriate if there were a counter demonstration that stressed that point only and did not try to advance a political agenda.

Exploiting a tragedy to advance a political agenda is in bad taste and I think it's disrespectful. I am going to try to get someone to cover for me so that I can go to the State Capitol, but I won't open carry.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Would it be wrong to have a very large portion of baked beans then go to the protest to... erm, lie in with them for a while?

They all looked rather closely packed together there. :quirky

AbNo

imported post

Wynder wrote:
Would it be wrong to have a very large portion of baked beans then go to the protest to... erm, lie in with them for a while?

They all looked rather closely packed together there. :quirky

So THAT's where your screen name comes from! :lol:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Just a thought here but I think it would be a powerful statement to ignore the antis on the 16th. Let them take the field with the Westboro baptist church yahoos, I think that correlation would say a lot. The point of the day is to remember the victims, not to push an agenda.

I think the other side is making a big mistake PR wise, we shouldn't get in their way as they are doing so.

longwatch

imported post

Thats a brilliant idea, go low key try to blend in and take some good embarassing pics and vids. You never know, it could be the antis 'Macaca' moment.

swillden

imported post

Maybe have one person there to give the reporters a copy of a press release, stating condolences to the families, etc., and the group's decision not to engage in any political activity on that day, out of respct.

longwatch

imported post

I wouldn't even do that. If I were VCDL President and was asked for a response to the antis, I'd decline and question the motive for and tastefulness of a protest on that day. But thats just me.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here is a great LTE in the Roanoke times. The Roanoke times has been filled with LTE's opposing protesting on April 16 in the past week.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/158134

Tech's student body asked: No protests, please, on April 16

Tech's student body asked: No protests, please, on April 16

In response to "Tech plays censor on April 16," (April 10 editorial):

As a Tech student, I would like to point out that school officials are not acting on a "whim," but in response to the overwhelming student desire not to have protests of any sort disrupt the anniversary of April 16, 2007.

The Collegiate Times, the school's paper, is full of letters expressing the desire for no protests. Our Student Government Association passed a resolution that respectfully requests any protests be done at another time.

Our community is not creating "artificial peace and harmony," as you state it. We had a strong community before April 16 and we have a strong community now. We simply don't want outsiders coming onto our campus, our home, to protest on that day.

If the very few students involved with the protest feel that's the way they should honor their friends, why not choose another location or another day?

This is a classic example of liberal media rushing to protect First Amendment rights. Why do you not do the same for Second Amendment rights? How can you claim that one freedom is more important than another?

[align=right]WILLIAM BULLOSS[/align]
[align=right]BLACKSBURG[/align]