Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: foreign soldiers on american soil?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Caldwell, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    Did anyone else just hear this? The olympic torch is going to be escorted by chinese paramilitary through san fransisco. Where is the outrage? Who authorized this? I don't know, but this sounds like a huge load of bs to me. I didn't hear if they would be armed, but i don't really think it matters.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    It will likely be a small group and not a threat to the American people.

    Most countries will allow security details to accompany those that need protection. They can even bring their own guns intothe country for the purpose of protection.


    Think about the Secret Service....

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    Two threads, same subject, now a third. Try using the search function.....just a friendly suggestion. Recommend this thread get locked.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Caldwell, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    looked through manually and didn't see any other threads, should have searched.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279

    Post imported post

    Hmmmm. Search doesn't turn up much. Can't seem to find these three other posts already discussing this.

    Any links?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    Edited due to speed reading error, uh, whoops. I saw the thread title and thought it was something else. We've got plenty of foreign soldiers on American soil, lol. They are called spies

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    bohdi wrote:
    Two threads, same subject, now a third. Try using the search function.....just a friendly suggestion. Recommend this thread get locked.
    The only other thread I believe was Canada being allowed to come South at the request of the US.

    I kinda think this is a little different in that a small military group is here to protect their interests in the torch. Maybe??

    I hope they are not openly armed... that would be asad sight!

    I do wonder if they are armed in any fashion.


    Can the OP please post a link to the story so we can view it?

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I'm just not bunged up about this. We have foreign troops on our soil all the time for diplomatic reasons, war games, unified training exercises, air shows, ceremonial purposes, UN visits, etc. and we have US military troops doing the same in any number of nations. Having a small number of foreign troops on our soil solely as our guests is not troubling, nor is it unusual. This has been going on since the nation's founding.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    255

    Post imported post

    If you live in NoVA and work near the Pentagon you see foriegn military personnel all the time. Not a big deal...many foriegn troops train at US Bases as part of exchange agreements, diplomatic arrangements, etc.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    soloban wrote:
    If you live in NoVA and work near the Pentagon you see foriegn military personnel all the time. Not a big deal...many foriegn troops train at US Bases as part of exchange agreements, diplomatic arrangements, etc.
    I know this for a fact.. At Ft Bragg we have many there training.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Can't say I'm surprised at the heavy handedness of the unit. Honestly I'm more concerned about incursions of rogue Mexican army units than the men in blue.

    [flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/aRyEaidfiWo&hl=en[/flash]

    http://news.monstersandcritics.com/a...its_China_says

    Torch guards recruited from paramilitary units, China says Apr 9, 2008, 10:30 GMT

    Beijing - The blue tracksuit-clad Chinese guards who attracted torch relay guards that have attracted attention in Olympic parades in London, Paris and other cities were recruited from the paramilitary police, state media said on Wednesday.
    The 30 elite guards for international legs of the torch relay and 50 more for domestic legs underwent special training after they were selected from the People's Armed Police, the Global Times and other media said.
    The guards had to prove that they could run 10 kilometres in mountainous terrain every day and show their ability to learn etiquette and foreign languages, the newspaper said.
    Different members of the overseas team learned basic English, Spanish, German, French and Japanese for use on some international legs of the relay, it said.
    The guards must also be able to drive cars and ride motorcycles, and some of them must run up to 50 kilometres a day, the newspaper quoted team leader Zhao Si as saying.
    'The escort team's duty is to protect the torch and the accompanying relay event,' Zhao said.
    'To ensure that the torch will not be extinguished for unexpected reason, they must remain on 24-hour duty 24,' he said.
    The guards attracted controversy on Monday after Sebastian Coe, the head of London Olympic Committee, said he was shoved three times by the guards, who he called 'thugs,' during the London relay on Sunday.
    Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who began a visit to China on Wednesday, on Sunday said he would not allow the Chinese guards to protect the torch during a leg in Canberra on April 24.
    'We will not be having Chinese security forces or Chinese security services providing security for the torch when it is in Australia,' Rudd said at a joint press conference with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown in London.
    Members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said Wednesday that they had ruled out cutting short the protest-plagued international section of the torch relay.
    'From my point of view, we should not stop,' said Australian IOC member, Kevan Gosper. 'It would send the wrong signal.'
    Mario Vazquez Rana, president of the Association of National Olympic Committees, said after sharing dinner Tuesday night with IOC president Jacques Rogge that Rogge was '100-per-cent convinced' not to make any changes to the relay.


  12. #12
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

    I hope they are not openly armed... that would be asad sight!
    I hope the Chicoms trot down Van Ness and/or Market street with Ak47s and RPKs openly displayed, loaded,and at the ready. Imagine how many heart attacks and strokes the hoplophobiclibs will have seeing that!

    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    I went through tech school with foreign military members not a big issue.
    However I am certain that they are all under the protection and eye ball of some federal entity. This is nothing new.


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    Huck wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

    I hope they are not openly armed... that would be asad sight!
    I hope the Chicoms trot down Van Ness and/or Market street with Ak47s and RPKs openly displayed, loaded,and at the ready. Imagine how many heart attacks and strokes the hoplophobiclibs will have seeing that!
    Huck why did you take a post from a different thread and put it in here?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    VA Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    There are alwaysmilitary people from other countries here for various puposes. However an armed security force to protect a stup torch?? What are they going to do open up on someone for trying to put it out?? Our goevenment offials should be ashamed to allow that garbage.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Who cares. We have troops stationed in dozens of countries whose governments ignore their peoples' resentment of us and we expect them to accept it. This is nothing by comparison.

    Besides, it serves the extra purpose of making China look like the thugocracy that it is. The Olympics are such a joke.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    Who cares. We have troops stationed in dozens of countries whose governments ignore their peoples' resentment of us and we expect them to accept it. This is nothing by comparison.

    Besides, it serves the extra purpose of making China look like the thugocracy that it is. The Olympics are such a joke.
    Agreed.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Agreed, not to often when thugs like that serve as useful idiots for the good guys.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    We've got Amerikan cops running around like a bunch of thugs, which is what they are, beating and killing the citizens and someone is upset about a handful of FOREIGNERS?
    Hah. Outsourcing strikes again.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, ,
    Posts
    695

    Post imported post

    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    There are alwaysmilitary people from other countries here for various puposes. However an armed security force to protect a stup torch?? What are they going to do open up on someone for trying to put it out??
    for some reason when I read that the "King of the hill" episode where Dale Gribble runs after Hank in order to light his cigarette on the torch came to mind.

    they are probably jut trying to keep teh chinese citizen carrying the torch from defecting and crying for amnesty.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    unreconstructed1 wrote:
    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    There are alwaysmilitary people from other countries here for various puposes. However an armed security force to protect a stup torch?? What are they going to do open up on someone for trying to put it out??
    for some reason when I read that the "King of the hill" episode where Dale Gribble runs after Hank in order to light his cigarette on the torch came to mind.

    they are probably jut trying to keep teh chinese citizen carrying the torch from defecting and crying for amnesty.
    I think it'd be funny to see them run the torch through Compton or someplace and get mugged by some gangstas. For once I'd cheer for the (American) thugs.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, ,
    Posts
    695

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    I think it'd be funny to see them run the torch through Compton or someplace and get mugged by some gangstas. For once I'd cheer for the (American) thugs.
    and a week later the torch would be sitting on puff diggity or piffy D. or whatever his name's mantle, along with a couple extra Norinco AKs....:shock:

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    unreconstructed1 wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    I think it'd be funny to see them run the torch through Compton or someplace and get mugged by some gangstas. For once I'd cheer for the (American) thugs.
    and a week later the torch would be sitting on puff diggity or piffy D. or whatever his name's mantle, along with a couple extra Norinco AKs....:shock:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •