Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: VT college carry and SCCC

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    I've seen alot of talk here lately about issues involving carry on campus, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), and protests being sponsored by Protest Easy Guns (PEG). I am involved with SCCC at VT. I've posted this before, but we will not be holding any protests, counter protests, or conducting any interviews on April 16th. There are 364 other days in the year for that. That day, particularly on the Drillfield at VT, is not the time and place to do it for either of the debate to be protesting. The debate however is still going strong here. Here are most of the recent LTE's and articles in the CT, the VT newspaper.



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/04/09/editorial__april_16_should__be_for_remembrance



    anti http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/04/09/column__national_lie-in_protest_honors_the_memories_of_fallen_hokies



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/04/09/column__we_should_celebrate_growth_this_past_year (last paragraph)



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/04/08/letter__honoring_april_16



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/03/26/letter__support_concealed_carry_to_prevent_attacks (take back the night)



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/03/13/letter__concealed_carry_could_prevent_campus_viole nce



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2007/10/18/letter__protesting_for_the_right_to_carry_conceale d_weapons (2007)



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/03/12/concealed_carry_debate_continues (non LTE)



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/03/04/tabled_concealed_carry_legislation_sparks_debate



    anti http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/02/12/letter__concealed_carry_unnecessary



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/cms/site/print.php?id=10953



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/02/12/letter__misconceptions_regarding_concealed_carry_o n_campus



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/02/08/tech_students_lobby_in_richmond



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/2/ARTICLE/9141/2007-06-27.html



    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/04/09/administration__sga__advocates_tangle_over_lie-in



    You will see that although we still have a long way to go, we have alot of support. We are up to 170 members at VT. If you are a VT student, faculty member, or alumni you can join our group here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10185765895 If not, you can still join the national group which has over 23,000 members. I think alot of the opposition, or at least non support is just a result of a lack of knowledge of firearms. It doesn't help that groups like PEG are out there spreading outright lies. Usually these groups stick to misrepresenting facts and telling halftruths, but now they are telling outright lies, claiming that Cho purchased his firearms without having to pass a background check (http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...le_over_lie-in).

    Later this month SCCC will be holding an empty holster protest. You can join here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=7594769834



    If you want more information about our opposition, you can find it here at Protest easy guns: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=7594769834



    You can also find a nice breakdown of all their lies here at protest easy guns lies http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=7594769834



    Here are some videos of SCCC at VT:

    SCCC at VT with NBC

    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=557258831733&oid=10185765895



    SCCC at VT talks to Gov Kaine http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=562843440133&oid=10185765895



    SCCC at VT talks to VT admin http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=563389910003&oid=10185765895



    I'll add more as its published/aired.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    national_lie-in_protest_honors_the_memories_of_fallen_hokies


    More like "national LIE-in protest takes advantage of fallen hokies for political gain because they have no respect for the victims or their families/friends"

    Keep up the good work down there!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    national_lie-in_protest_honors_the_memories_of_fallen_hokies


    More like "national LIE-in protest takes advantage of fallen hokies for political gain because they have no respect for the victims or their families/friends"

    Keep up the good work down there!
    That was in todays paper, along with 2 articles against them.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Got any links or scans, by any chance?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gloucester Point, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    899

    Post imported post

    So what am I missing....has PEG's protest been re-located to the Capital or are there two simultaneous events?

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/9749.html



  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    bayboy42 wrote:
    So what am I missing....has PEG's protest been re-located to the Capital or are there two simultaneous events?

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/9749.html

    There are two events. PEG is even providing a charter bus for VT students to travel to DC for the protest.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Got any links or scans, by any chance?
    Its right below the other one.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Gloucester Point, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    899

    Post imported post

    mpg9999 wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    So what am I missing....has PEG's protest been re-located to the Capital or are there two simultaneous events?

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/9749.html

    There are two events. PEG is even providing a charter bus for VT students to travel to DC for the protest.
    Well if there is something going on in DC....that would make 3 events. The thread I provide a link to deals with PEG's protest at the STATE capitol in Richmond, VA.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    bayboy42 wrote:
    Well if there is something going on in DC....that would make 3 events. The thread I provide a link to deals with PEG's protest at the STATE capitol in Richmond, VA.
    They are planning them all over the country. Here is the latest info on protest locatiosn in VA:

    VIRGINIA

    Virginia Tech-32
    12:00pm - 1:00pm
    Drillfield- following the Opening Ceremonies
    Blacksburg, VA
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=11796925587


    Alexandria#2-32
    Supreme Court/U.S. Capitol
    noon
    U.S. Supreme Court
    1 First Street, NE

    Falls Church#2-32
    Supreme Court/U.S. Capitol
    noon
    U.S. Supreme Court
    1 First Street, NE

    McLean#2-32
    Supreme Court/U.S. Capitol
    noon
    U.S. Supreme Court
    1 First Street, NE

    Portsmouth-32
    5:30pm
    Downtown Portsmouth in front of the Juvenile & Domestic Court
    605 Crawford Street
    Portsmouth, VA 23704

    Richmond#3-32
    11:00 AM
    Bell tower on the State Capital Grounds.
    Grove Avenue Christian School-32



    WASHINGTON, D.C.
    Supreme Court/U.S. Capitol-32
    noon
    U.S. Supreme Court
    1 First Street, NE


  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Henrico County ,
    Posts
    537

    Post imported post

    I'll be at the protest at the State Capital at the Bell Tower at 11:00 a.m. on the 16th. If you want to meet in advance and join me, please let me know.

    I happen to be off all of next week.....

  11. #11
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    Anyone going to the Portsmouth lie-in?
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Mmm, I can make the 16th. If anyone's going down I-81 to get there, I would greatly appreciate a ride, if you don't mind.

    Or if there's a PEG bus stopping in Harrisonburg, I'll take that.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Mmm, I can make the 16th. If anyone's going down I-81 to get there, I would greatly appreciate a ride, if you don't mind.

    Or if there's a PEG bus stopping in Harrisonburg, I'll take that.
    They vet all riders so you would have to lie to get to the lie-in by that method.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Vet?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Vet?
    Yeah, as in check you out thouroughly. It's basically an interview and unless you want to lie they will come to understand you are 2A rights supporter. The bus leaves from an unpublished point and I'm sure they have a "guest" list to check as you board. I tried to take their bus from VT to Richmond last January but they rejected my request. After meeting some of these people in Richmond ($70 in gas and $15 in parking) I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten a rational debate out of them, which is one reason I wanted to ride with them. To understand where they're coming from more.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    I have no qualms lying to the misguided and their misonformers.

    At least, until the action begins. :celebrate
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  17. #17
    Regular Member vt357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    490

    Post imported post

    As mentioned before, I would ask that noone actually go to VT to do any actual protesting or counter-protesting. The community there will not take kindly to any political message on that day. The only thing people will remember is that you came on the 16th pushing your agenda (whether they agree with that agenda or not). PEG is being bashed by almost everyone there - they are looking really bad. Even the CollegiateTimes editorial board (who is EXTREMELY anitgun) wrote a collumn saying they should stay away. Signs like "Here lie disarmed victims" will NOT be appropriate. They have there place and time - but with emotions running high this will not be the place or time for them - the press will just make you look like an ass.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    vt357 wrote:
    As mentioned before, I would ask that noone actually go to VT to do any actual protesting or counter-protesting. The community there will not take kindly to any political message on that day. The only thing people will remember is that you came on the 16th pushing your agenda (whether they agree with that agenda or not). PEG is being bashed by almost everyone there - they are looking really bad. Even the CollegiateTimes editorial board (who is EXTREMELY anitgun) wrote a collumn saying they should stay away. Signs like "Here lie disarmed victims" will NOT be appropriate. They have there place and time - but with emotions running high this will not be the place or time for them - the press will just make you look like an ass.
    +1. As a student and an officer for SCCC at VT I agree. Please don't protest on the 16th at VT. We will recieve plenty of media attention on other days and get our message out, no need to do it on the 16th.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't put it past the Brady Campagin to have an agent provocateur there to "counter protest" a "pro gun" message

  20. #20
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    mpg9999 wrote:
    vt357 wrote:
    As mentioned before, I would ask that noone actually go to VT to do any actual protesting or counter-protesting. The community there will not take kindly to any political message on that day. The only thing people will remember is that you came on the 16th pushing your agenda (whether they agree with that agenda or not). PEG is being bashed by almost everyone there - they are looking really bad. Even the CollegiateTimes editorial board (who is EXTREMELY anitgun) wrote a collumn saying they should stay away. Signs like "Here lie disarmed victims" will NOT be appropriate. They have there place and time - but with emotions running high this will not be the place or time for them - the press will just make you look like an ass.
    +1. As a student and an officer for SCCC at VT I agree. Please don't protest on the 16th at VT. We will recieve plenty of media attention on other days and get our message out, no need to do it on the 16th.
    I'm going to be there. I think I will go around to the news crews and ask them not to film the PEGers out of respect for the day. I may CC though. I'm not going to protest in any way. If students start booing the PEGers I may join in :^).

  21. #21

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    I wouldn't put it past the Brady Campagin to have an agent provocateur there to "counter protest" a "pro gun" message
    I also wouldn't put it past them to pay people to show up.

    When I was working (read: volunteering) with Protest Warrior down in Florida, some 18 year old kid of indeterminate gender came by and asked us how much we were being paid.

    It wandered off in a huff when we told it we weren't getting paid.

    Did see it running around with the libs and communists later, though.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  23. #23

  24. #24
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    mpg9999 wrote: Dear Sir:

    Is SCCCatVT submiting most of these editorials or are they spontaneous from the general student population? The ones I've read, except one perhaps, all have a strong progun or antiPEG position usually with some facts that I would expect few to know. Maybe the word is getting out?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    410

    Post imported post

    Neplusultra wrote:
    Dear Sir:

    Is SCCCatVT submiting most of these editorials or are they spontaneous from the general student population? The ones I've read, except one perhaps, all have a strong progun or antiPEG position usually with some facts that I would expect few to know. Maybe the word is getting out?
    I know some of them are SCCC members, and would guess that most of them are. At least the ones disputing PEG's claims.

    Another article in the Roanoke Times

    http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/xp-158222

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •