• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada resident to Visit So-Cal

sksbubba

imported post

Am I allowed to OC being a non-resident?

I'll be visiting family in Fontana and wanted to know if un/incorporated city. Also if along the route, I'll be on I-15 pretty much the whole trip, Baker, Barstow, Victorville, and others are un/incorporated cities?

Thanks for any replies.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Of course you can OC as a non-resident. Remember, the laws don't grant permission, they restrict rights. Just be sure to carefully research all our silly ass laws.

Our Open Carry Flyer is a great place to start. It hasn't been given the official legal blessing of any attorney, judge, or jury... but I believe it is pretty accurate.

As for the cities you'll be travelling through: incorporation is pretty much the definition of a 'city.' Much like a firm may choose to incorporate, so do certain groups of people in one locality. These are known as cities. So, be sure not to get caught with a loaded firearm once you are in city limits.

Also, even among us here at OCDO, we can't agree on the interpretation of the statutes/case law on loaded open carry on public roads. I think that the intent of the legislature was that roads are not prohibited places, but I wouldn't want to be the test case. On any publicly owned road (which is pretty much all of them - I think I've seen 2 private roads in my 18 years here) you may want to cary unloaded.

Take a look at the flyer, and let us know if you have any other questions.

sksbubba

imported post

Thanks for the reply CL. The info was very helpful. I will OC but with the mags out of the firearm and I should be good.

cato2

imported post

Have a locking case available in your car. If you "knowingly" enter a school zone it must be locked in a case and unloaded. And you can't enter any state or local government buildings. Both of the above are felonies.

If you unlawfully conceal a handgun and the firearm is not registered to you with the state it is a felony. If the firearm is registered to you first offense is a misdemeanor. As you pistol is not likely registered to youwith the state, you may still possess it, however be sure if it is concealed at any time it is in a locked case with the mags not attached to the firearm.

Be safe. Enjoy a freedom many Californian's are afraid to even try.