Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Registering handguns in NC

Post imported post

I asked this question in another thread but it seemed to go unnoticed, or vaguely answered. I just need to know if law in NC (Hertford county specficially) requires handguns to be registered.
    I realise the steps for purchasing handguns is request pistol permit, wait, get permit, buy gun, wait, get gun (correct?) but is there a register handgun step?

Post imported post

Im pretty sure this question was answered for all of NC but im not 100% sure but from what ive read is that there is no nc law requiring you to register your handgun but i belive there is for machine guns?? but thats another story. If someone could back me up on this answer.

Post imported post

Im pretty sure this question was answered for all of NC but im not 100% sure but from what ive read is that there is no nc law requiring you to register your handgun but i belive there is for machine guns?? but thats another story. If someone could back me up on this answer.

Post imported post

alright sorry bout that double or triple post my wireless is being gay.

State Researcher

Post imported post

mbs357 wrote:
    I asked this question in another thread but it seemed to go unnoticed, or vaguely answered. I just need to know if law in NC (Hertford county specficially) requires handguns to be registered.
    I realise the steps for purchasing handguns is request pistol permit, wait, get permit, buy gun, wait, get gun (correct?) but is there a register handgun step?
    Handguns do not need to be registered in the State of NC, period. You should receive your purchase permit on the same day you apply for it. The last time someone I know applied for one, they did it at the local gun show and it took about 30 minutes because there were a lot of permits getting processed at once. Once you have that permit, you can immediately purchase your handgun. There is no waiting required. When we went to the gun show, it took about 45 minutes to walk in empty handed and walk out with a handgun.

Again, there is no handgun registration in North Carolina.

(I am not a lawyer, but this is the advice that I live by.)

Post imported post

This is pretty good news. Reason I ask is (not just for future reference as I intend to buy a handgun soon) but I know a guy who was given a .22 pistol by a good friend. He's always been too scared to go out and shoot it for fear of a cop pulling up and catching him with an unregistered handgun.

State Researcher

Post imported post

mbs357 wrote:
    This is pretty good news. Reason I ask is (not just for future reference as I intend to buy a handgun soon) but I know a guy who was given a .22 pistol by a good friend. He's always been too scared to go out and shoot it for fear of a cop pulling up and catching him with an unregistered handgun.
    Well keep in mind, a permit to purchase a handgun is required to receive a handgun in NC, even if it just "given" to you. As long as your buddy legally acquired the handgun (i.e. received it while he was in a state where private transfers are legal) there's no problem.

A cop is not going to just roll up and check your gun, unless you're doing something illegal.

Post imported post

How does a LEO check your gun if you bought through a private sale. Im just curious or does he check the serial number to see if it is been reported stolen.

State Researcher

Post imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
    How does a LEO check your gun if you bought through a private sale. Im just curious or does he check the serial number to see if it is been reported stolen.
    In NC, he can run the serial number to see if it has been reported as stolen. In states where handgun registration is required, a LEO could check to see if it was registered. I don't know if a LEO can easily check who purchased the handgun from a FFL dealer or not. Perhaps a LEO would like to chime in on this one.

Post imported post

Yeh im just curious to know if a cop stops you for OC as he may be unaware that it is legal. and wonder how he would know if it was really yours if it wasnt reported yet.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

They can check a handgun to see if it's stolen by entering the serial number in to a national database of stolen firearms but I've never heard of a cop doing it ifyou don't commit a crime with the gun. As long asthe gunwasn't reported stolen, it is considered a legal firearm. When you buy a firearm from a private party, always get a bill of sale and keep it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

dubccat51 wrote:
    They can check a handgun to see if it's stolen by entering the serial number in to a national database of stolen firearms but I've never heard of a cop doing it ifyou don't commit a crime with the gun. As long asthe gunwasn't reported stolen, it is considered a legal firearm. When you buy a firearm from a private party, always get a bill of sale and keep it.
    HAHA that's funny. You haven't been on this forum long enough . There have been quite a few people who have had their guns "removed for officer safety", and ran through the system "to check if it is stolen". All of this during a routine stop that either involved an unrelated minor traffic crime, or no crime at all.

Post imported post

I don't think he got a permit when he got it...was probably just unaware. From what I can tell the story was just "here you want this?"

Where can we go to run the numbers for stolen guns? I seriously doubt it's stolen, but it couldn't hurt.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

The only place that I know of is the police, and if it is stolen, you're in big trouble mister :shock:.

DreQo, I remember some people's guns getting taken away for "officer safety" but I never remember them saying that the serial numbers had been put through the system to see if they were stolen.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    mbs357 wrote:
    Handguns do not need to be registered in the State of NC, period. You should receive your purchase permit on the same day you apply for it. The last time someone I know applied for one, they did it at the local gun show and it took about 30 minutes because there were a lot of permits getting processed at once. Once you have that permit, you can immediately purchase your handgun. There is no waiting required. When we went to the gun show, it took about 45 minutes to walk in empty handed and walk out with a handgun.

Again, there is no handgun registration in North Carolina.

(I am not a lawyer, but this is the advice that I live by.)
    Wow, that is pretty good. The last time I applied for a purchase permit, it took five days before I got it. Is this something new, the way it works in your county, or because of the gun show?

Post imported post

So what you're saying is, since he didn't get a permit to purchase/recieve the gun when it was given to him (it WAS a gift) there's nothing he can do to make the gun 'legal'?

Post imported post

if it was a gift get that member who gave the gift to go to a ffl who does transfers and you provide your newly aquired pistol purchase permit to the Dealer who signs off on it. Then it becomes legal without you worrying.

Just my 2 cents.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

As long as it was not reported stolen, it is a legal firearm. Otherwise, since we do not have a registration system, the police cannot prove that the firearm was obtained through illegal means.

Post imported post

I'll pass it along, see what he wants to do. I dunno if he can get ahold of the guy who gave it to him anymore...

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I would do like Burninsteeda04 sayes and use an FFL to transfer it. That way you are assured that it is legal. It may cost like $30 or something like that plus a pistol purchase permitbut it is well worth it.

Post imported post

Im not sure but its an idea your friend could say he bought it in a private sale but he may have to produce a bill of sale if ever it was used in a questionable form. But then idk from there. I am not liable for any of the crap i put on here.

Post imported post

Why would saying it was a private sale help any? It was a gift. The pistol is not suitable for carry, and barely works well enough for plinking. So I doubt any 'questionable' use would ever come up.

State Researcher

Post imported post

gacritical wrote:
    *snip*
    Wow, that is pretty good. The last time I applied for a purchase permit, it took five days before I got it. Is this something new, the way it works in your county, or because of the gun show?
    It MAY have been the fact that it was at the gun show, but while I was at the Sheriff's Office doing my CHP paperwork, I seem to remember a guy that came in, did the paperwork for a purchase permit, and was gone with it before I left. Maybe it's just the county? I'm in Craven..

Post imported post

Justto let you know our sheriff and his officeare misinformed. They told a friend of mine that in order to opencarry he needed to register his M&P .40, and gave him a nice little this handgun belongs to card (laminated). Because of this I have spent many hours reading these forums and searching for any sign of Hertford Countys law being different but have found none as of yet.

Good luck on your future purchase otherwise though.

Post imported post

Gee. The further along this thread goes the more confused I get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast