• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milt Sparks 55BN

isaiah

imported post

I really have no one to go to and try some different types of holsters out. No one I know carries. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and just buy one so that i'll have it by the time I get my gun. If I don't like it I can always sell it I suppose.

But before I give my credit card number anywhere, I'd like some opinions.

I'm looking hard at a straight drop Milt Sparks 55BN holster for the Springer 1911 I'm going to get. Are there any advantages to the FBI cant or do most prefer the straight drop?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Link to the holster (sure we can search for it but if you ask it is only polite to provide a link or pic :) )?

I much prefer the FBI cant (as opposed to the "FBI can't", which I hate, as it involves the the inability to distinguish between a 90 year old wheel chair bound native born great-grandmother who loves America and has never committed an act of violence and a 17-34 year old swarthy skinned, non-native male with a proclivity for killing people, usually via suicidal explosion, who disagree with his religious opinions or is that the TSA can't ? - but I digress). Anyway, I usually carry 3-4 o'clock depending on holster, pistol and clothing. I find that when sitting, which I do a lot during the day, an FBI cant holster is at nearly a straight drop angle allowing easy access to the weapon. When standing, it is obviously canted forward allowing a faster draw from a slightly weight forward "interview" position.

isaiah

imported post

What? I thought every gun enthusiast had the Milt Sparks site bookmarked! ;)
It doesn't give a url to the specific page so you'll have to navigate a little.
http://miltsparks.com/
Products > All other holsters

Ha I hear you. Anything with "Bureau" in it is usually bad news.

Edit: Fixed an error in the URL

isaiah

imported post

OK, Thanks. I found a few threads on the 55BN.

I went ahead and ordered it, straight drop cordovan. I've read a lot in favor of the straight drop and, while comparing draws with my invisible gun and holster, found it to be more comfortable drawing from.
Now the half-year wait...