• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Williamsburg OC story

Nozoki

imported post

I copied this from from offtopic.com from a member named "minus" as I thought it would be appreciated here. And if he's a member here as well and sees this I hope he doesn't mind.

On Saturday morning we left our hotel room and with Glock secured to my holster and on my belt, we drove to Colonial Williamsburg. We headed into town and first came to the blacksmith’s shop. The smithy was busy pounding away at a piece of iron and chatting with only 2 other tourists who seemed to only have a passing interest in his work. I walked over to him and asked him for a moment of his time, which he was only too happy to give me. In a low voice I said I was legally carrying a firearm but wasn’t sure of Williamsburg’s policy and could he tell me if it was allowed or forbidden. In a tone twice as loud as I had, he answered me. I’ll try to recall his response as best as I can:

“That good sir is one of the important questions now being asked by the brave men of the Continental congress. Should we as free men and women be allowed to carry arms and armament to protect the very vestment of the good lord, namely that of life and liberty. Do we have the right to protect our lands and lives against a tyrant and his army which care not for our safety and our children, but only for coins to be placed in his coffers. Nay good sir, stay your pistol upon your person and be ready to answer the call to fight not only for freedom and liberty, but for our homes and for principal”

Needless to say, I was smiling from ear to ear. I would have excepted a simple “it’s allowed” but the smithy went all out to answer a question and to weave it into a historical context. It was to date the SECOND best response I had ever had. The FIRST best came an hour after the experience with the smithy.

We were walking down the main street, looking at various arts and crafts being offered (her idea) and enjoying the scenery. I got a glance or two with the Glock 17 on my waist, but mostly we were ignored. Ahead we saw a squad of British soldiers marching up the street and being led by a Major who was dressed to the nines. As they got close, one of the conscripts in the middle pointed over to me and proclaimed loudly “Sir! That colonial is armed, shall we detain?” The Major stopped the squad and looked at me. Again, I’ll try and recall his response as best I can. While slowly walking towards me, he announced:

“No Mister Danvers, while his majesty has proclaimed that any possession of pistol or musket is forbade and forbidden, these rabble pose no serious threat to either King nor Crown. For these colonist to believe they could ever stand up to the might of his Majesty’s fine fighting men would be madness and that of sheer folly. No. . .we will allow this one to keep his pistol.” The Major then leaned in very close to me, so that only I could hear him and whispered to me “For now.”

He then walked back to the front of the squad and marched them along back down the street.

Neplusultra

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Originally posted on PDO about 27 years ago.
Is this verifyable as true? Being 27 years old? The story is quoted as coming from 2002 from the OCDO thread. What does that OP have to say about it?

Edit: Why is my posts number the same as is above? 474?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Originally posted on PDO about 27 years ago.
Is this verifyable as true? Being 27 years old? The story is quoted as coming from 2002 from the OCDO thread. What does that OP have to say about it?

In 1981 (27 years ago) the www didn't even exist . About all there was out here was ftp, telnet, mail, archie & gopher...

Neplusultra

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Your posts number is always up-to-date, regardless of how many posts you had when you made a particular post...
Maybe, whatever you mean, but if you look your last two posts have the same post number, as mine had too. Why is that, it's not the same post???? In fact this post has the same post number as my last one #480.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That is a fantastic quote. Most of the folks on this board write well, demonstrate the effort put in to learning the laws, and are (generally) supportive of each other's view of our shared passion.

But reading this amazing quote, even several years old, just stirs the heart a bit. That both of those gentlemen responded so eloquently and appropriately to their roles is very impressive.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Your posts number is always up-to-date, regardless of how many posts you had when you made a particular post...
Maybe, whatever you mean, but if you look your last two posts have the same post number, as mine had too. Why is that, it's not the same post???? In fact this post has the same post number as my last one #480.
Your posts number, for EVERY post you've ever made, is always your current post count. If you were to go back and look at the very first post you ever made (assuming it's still around) it'd say however many posts you have NOW.

Neplusultra

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Your posts number, for EVERY post you've ever made, is always your current post count. If you were to go back and look at the very first post you ever made (assuming it's still around) it'd say however many posts you have NOW.
HA! DOH! Sometimes I wonder about myself. Others wonder about me more often.

Nozoki

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Nozoki wrote:
Ah, so. I wonder if it is the same guy.

Between your username and your exclamation, you wouldn't be Asian would you :^).

Sorry, had to ask....

Edit: Either way, welcome aboard!
Nope. Just a regular white guy. But I am a fan of Japanese culture. I just pulled the name from some Japanese slang book.

Rey

imported post

That's not true, I hit my 100th post the other day and now I'm on like 130. I think it refreshes itself when you change threads.

alnitak

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
That is a fantastic quote. Most of the folks on this board write well, demonstrate the effort put in to learning the laws, and are (generally) supportive of each other's view of our shared passion.

But reading this amazing quote, even several years old, just stirs the heart a bit. That both of those gentlemen responded so eloquently and appropriately to their roles is very impressive.

I'm relatively new to this forum, but I have some skepticism about the veracity of that story. I live in VA and go to Williamsburg quite often. IIRC, historic Williamsburg frowns on open carry, and I believe has a Disney-like policy. Secondly, although the period actors stay in character, I doubt they have such an eloquent response off the top of their head available for such an instance. So, there's a good chance that the little speeches were created after the incident, if it occurred. Lastly, as indicated here, if the reported incident occurred it may have been quite some time in the past and the current political climate may be quite different.

Can anyone really verify this story and confirm the current historic Williamsburg policy?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

alnitak wrote:
Jim675 wrote:

I'm relatively new to this forum, but I have some skepticism about the veracity of that story. I live in VA and go to Williamsburg quite often. IIRC, historic Williamsburg frowns on open carry, and I believe has a Disney-like policy. Secondly, although the period actors stay in character, I doubt they have such an eloquent response off the top of their head available for such an instance. So, there's a good chance that the little speeches were created after the incident, if it occurred. Lastly, as indicated here, if the reported incident occurred it may have been quite some time in the past and the current political climate may be quite different.

Can anyone really verify this story and confirm the current historic Williamsburg policy?

Desertdoc has. Here's his story: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=907

Also, here's a post from 2006 crediting it to "Chronoshifter" over on the now gone Packing.org. I believe "Chronoshifter" who was on here was our Chin-Chin's old name?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=691&forum_id=54