• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Williamsburg OC story

hsmith

imported post

alnitak wrote:
Jim675 wrote:
That is a fantastic quote. Most of the folks on this board write well, demonstrate the effort put in to learning the laws, and are (generally) supportive of each other's view of our shared passion.

But reading this amazing quote, even several years old, just stirs the heart a bit. That both of those gentlemen responded so eloquently and appropriately to their roles is very impressive.

I'm relatively new to this forum, but I have some skepticism about the veracity of that story. I live in VA and go to Williamsburg quite often. IIRC, historic Williamsburg frowns on open carry, and I believe has a Disney-like policy. Secondly, although the period actors stay in character, I doubt they have such an eloquent response off the top of their head available for such an instance. So, there's a good chance that the little speeches were created after the incident, if it occurred. Lastly, as indicated here, if the reported incident occurred it may have been quite some time in the past and the current political climate may be quite different.

Can anyone really verify this story and confirm the current historic Williamsburg policy?
Well, I doubt the validity, but I would say that those that do that kind of thing (the dressup reenactment) are pretty versed in their history, so it is possible.

hsmith

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
So a question: who owns Williamsburg? Is it all private? Including the governor's mansion and assembly building?
AFAIK Williamsburg is public land. The houses, historic houses, shops and all are private. But I believe the land where "demonstrations" take place are all public.

Compare it to Jamestown. I believe Jamestown is private because they charge admission.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
So a question: who owns Williamsburg? Is it all private? Including the governor's mansion and assembly building?
AFAIK Williamsburg is public land. The houses, historic houses, shops and all are private. But I believe the land where "demonstrations" take place are all public.

Compare it to Jamestown. I believe Jamestown is private because they charge admission.
By that logic national parks must be private too...

ODA 226

imported post

I was a Deputy Sheriff in Williamsburg and I can assure you that all state firearms laws are enforced. I never heard of anyone there being harrassed and in the five years I worked there saw many people legally armed and enjoying themselves in our beautiful little city!

thnycav

imported post

I worked for them for two Summers. Colonial Williamsburg is owned by a private foundation.

The buildings belong to the foundation but the streets are all public streets and are under thecontrol of the City if Williamsburg VA. They can make you pay to go in most of the buildings there but can not stop you form walking around the rest. I plan on riding my horse there one day. You can not drive a car there but they can not stop horses since they use them as well.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I don't doubt the story and quotes as is. I opened carried in Williamsburgearlier thisyear without incident. My experiences weren't nearly as eventful, however, since it was a cool day in the off season, so there weren't a lot ofperiod actorsrunning around. A few years ago when I went with my parents, the period actorsin the restaurantwhere we atewere impressively well spoken, even when responding to random questions from the patrons. Heck, if I was working there, I'd definitely prepare a response for that sort of thing. That's part of the fun!

ChinChin

imported post

You rang?

Yes this is my story as originally told on the (now defunct) PDO and reposted here a while back. If others are posting it and taking credit for it as their own account, I want royalties and syndication rights! :)

The account is 100% percent true as best I could recall it. I tried to remember exactly what the historical re-enactors said, but I'm sure I botched a word here or there. . .fine, 99.3% accurate.

alnitak

imported post

Thanks everyone for validating the story and the private property vs. state gun law discussion. I will be going to Williamsburg in June for vacation (as we do once or twice a year), and this time, with the stories and assurances of the posters on this board, I will be carrying.