• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Effingham County LEO encounter

JimMartinVTX

imported post

I have a GFL and have for about 20 years. My 8 year old daughter has seen me with a gun almost every day of her life, but frankly, I don't talk about it much with her. I figured she was used to it. She has two uncles and several other members of the family who are in LE. So guns are not a novelty to her. She understands they are not toys.

Several weeks ago I was oc in my car to take my kid to see her grandmother. On the way I rolled up on a road block (insurance check). I pulled up and as is my common procedure, I handed my GFL out the window with my license and insurance card. Keeping both hands on the wheel I told the Effingham sheriff's deputy that I was carrying today, and asked how he would like to proceed. He looked at me and said, no problem, just keep my hands where he could see them. Then my daughter asked me, "Are you going to get into trouble for having a gun?" I was completely shocked when the deputy stuck his head in the door, looked at my daughter and said, "No honey, your daddy is one of the good guys". I actually welled up in the eyes a little, thanked the deputy and went on my way.

I am proud to live in Effingham county where the people and the government get it. I have never had a negative experience open or concealed carry. My state Senator and Representative are ALWAYS on the right side of gun legislation. Maybe someday my story will become the norm everywhere. That is how it is SUPPOSED to work.

Keep up the good fight!!

officerjdc

imported post

JimMartinVTX wrote:
I have a GFL and have for about 20 years. My 8 year old daughter has seen me with a gun almost every day of her life, but frankly, I don't talk about it much with her. I figured she was used to it. She has two uncles and several other members of the family who are in LE. So guns are not a novelty to her. She understands they are not toys.

Several weeks ago I was oc in my car to take my kid to see her grandmother. On the way I rolled up on a road block (insurance check). I pulled up and as is my common procedure, I handed my GFL out the window with my license and insurance card. Keeping both hands on the wheel I told the Effingham sheriff's deputy that I was carrying today, and asked how he would like to proceed. He looked at me and said, no problem, just keep my hands where he could see them. Then my daughter asked me, "Are you going to get into trouble for having a gun?" I was completely shocked when the deputy stuck his head in the door, looked at my daughter and said, "No honey, your daddy is one of the good guys". I actually welled up in the eyes a little, thanked the deputy and went on my way.

I am proud to live in Effingham county where the people and the government get it. I have never had a negative experience open or concealed carry. My state Senator and Representative are ALWAYS on the right side of gun legislation. Maybe someday my story will become the norm everywhere. That is how it is SUPPOSED to work.

Keep up the good fight!!

I'm in Liberty County, which is not very far from Effingham County. I first got my GFL in 2001.I haven't tried open carry here yet, but I have done some informal polling of local LEOs (Hinesville PD and Liberty County SD)here who I'm acquainted with. Most have told me that they would arrest anyone they saw carrying openly, GFL notwithstanding. One Hinesville police officer said he would ask to see the person's GFL, and if it was valid he would have nothing further to say to that person. Another HPD officersaid he would arrest anyone hebecame aware ofcarrying whether the weapon was concealed or not, and when I asked what Code section he would use to justify that he said that "public gatherings" were specifically not limited to the places listed in the Code. Those who said they would arrest for open carry said that open carry was limited by the Code to hunting, fishing, and other outdoor recreation type situations. None of them could point out a Code section for me to look up to verufy that claim.

I'm tempted to open carry and see what happens. The only thing that stops me is that my employer would terminate me as soon as they found out I had been arrested for a weapons-related offense if that happenedsince we carry weapons on the job (I work in armed security)and I would not be reinstated evenif I wasfound not guiltyin court. I have only seen one personI believed not to bea law enforcement officer open carrying around here. This man was shopping at the Wal-Mart in Hinesville with a nickel finish 1911 of some kind on his hip, and no one seemed to be alarmed by him having that weapon on him. Other than that, everyone I've seen open carrying in civilian clothes around herehas had a badge on their belt right next to their weapon.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

officerjdc wrote:
JimMartinVTX wrote:

Keep up the good fight!!

I'm in Liberty County, which is not very far from Effingham County. I first got my GFL in 2001.I haven't tried open carry here yet, but I have done some informal polling of local LEOs (Hinesville PD and Liberty County SD)here who I'm acquainted with. Most have told me that they would arrest anyone they saw carrying openly, GFL notwithstanding. One Hinesville police officer said he would ask to see the person's GFL, and if it was valid he would have nothing further to say to that person. Another HPD officersaid he would arrest anyone hebecame aware ofcarrying whether the weapon was concealed or not, and when I asked what Code section he would use to justify that he said that "public gatherings" [snip]
I wore the uniform of this nation for 20 years and would have had my ASS handed to me on a platterif I misrepresented myself and Navy Regs and brought such discredit on my uniform, command and the Navyin such a blatant manner. An OATH is an OATH.

Those two officers are bound to uphold the law...EVEN THE ONES THEY DON'T PERSONALLY LIKE....That's life. They need to either be re-trained and re-formed, or re-moved.

Things like that need an immediate letter to the Chief of Police (copy to Mayor, DA, etc...) quoting the law and stating that this type of blatant disregard for the law on the part of anyonesworn to uphold the law is a discredit to their uniform or officeand a severe breach ofthe public trust and will not be tolerated.

Hef

imported post

I open carry in GA whenever I go there. I've had no problems in and around Savannah (Port Wentworth, Pooler, Rincon, etc.). All the LEO's I've met have been very friendly and supportive of lawfully armed citizens.

I'll be sure to open carry next time I go to Hinesville.

officerjdc

imported post

Hef wrote:
I open carry in GA whenever I go there. I've had no problems in and around Savannah (Port Wentworth, Pooler, Rincon, etc.). All the LEO's I've met have been very friendly and supportive of lawfully armed citizens.

I will applaud you for doing that! Like I said, the only thing that stops me from doing that is the risk of losing my job over an arrest even if I'm not convicted. My employer doesn't stand up for the emloyees at all.

Hef

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Hef wrote:

I will applaud you for doing that! Like I said, the only thing that stops me from doing that is the risk of losing my job over an arrest even if I'm not convicted. My employer doesn't stand up for the emloyees at all.
I work at a car dealership. Everyone in the place, including the owner, carries a gun, keeps one in their desk, or has one in their vehicle. For me, a firearms arrest would likely be met with a lawyer referral and use of sick days and vacation days to get it resolved.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
One Hinesville police officer said he would ask to see the person's GFL, and if it was valid he would have nothing further to say to that person.

I wonder how he proposes to confirm its "validity?" Let's say it is Saturday, and I voluntarily provide my GFL pursuant to his request.

How does he "verify" it.

His statement shows that he knows nothing about the license.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Another HPD officersaid he would arrest anyone hebecame aware ofcarrying whether the weapon was concealed or not, and when I asked what Code section he would use to justify that he said that "public gatherings" were specifically not limited to the places listed in the Code.

Sigh. He needs to keep reading. "Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part."

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=127

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Hef wrote:

I am not sure where is Hinesville, but I guarantee I will openly carry should I ever find myself there. :cool:

Hef

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
officerjdc wrote:
Hef wrote:

I am not sure where is Hinesville, but I guarantee I will openly carry should I ever find myself there. :cool:
Hinesville is just a few exits south of Savannah on I-95. It's the home of Fort Stewart, 3rd ID.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Hef wrote:
Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Liberty County?

Yep.

Extremely anti-gun down there, and they prosecute anything involving a gun as much as they can push through the court system or get naive young people to plead guilty, even when they know there is no intent to harm anybody.

officerjdc

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Hef wrote:
Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Liberty County?

Yep.

Extremely anti-gun down there, and they prosecute anything involving a gun as much as they can push through the court system or get naive young people to plead guilty, even when they know there is no intent to harm anybody.

Not the most gun-friendlycounty in southeast Georgia. Hinesville is the county seat, and it's worse than the rest of the county. If you're cited for a minor offenseby Hinesville PD you will be released to appear on your own recognizance in Municipal Court without the need to post bond after you're booked. Then when yougo tocourt they will tell you that you do in fact have the right to a trial by jury, but thay they don't do jury trialsin Municipal Court and if you want to exerciseyour right toa trial byjury you'll have to have your case referred up to the state court and that court will require you to post an appearance bond. They will thenoffer you a piece of paper to sign waiving your right to a trial by jury and to appeal. Most people at that point get scared and sign the paper to have their cases heard by the judge in Municipal Court so they won't have to go through posting bond in state court and appear again in another court, especially those who can't afford to post an appearance bond since not posting bond means sitting in the county jail until the state court hears your case.

Most of the casesheardin Municipal Court in Hinesville are traffic citations, but they do hear other misdemeanor cases there too. Last time I had to go there for a traffic ticket they had a few shoplifting cases and gas driveoffson the docket. I would imagine they would alsohandle a nonviolentmisdemeanor carrying charge there.

Samuel Adams

imported post

BobCav wrote:
officerjdc wrote:
JimMartinVTX wrote:

Keep up the good fight!!

I'm in Liberty County, which is not very far from Effingham County. I first got my GFL in 2001.I haven't tried open carry here yet, but I have done some informal polling of local LEOs (Hinesville PD and Liberty County SD)here who I'm acquainted with. Most have told me that they would arrest anyone they saw carrying openly, GFL notwithstanding. One Hinesville police officer said he would ask to see the person's GFL, and if it was valid he would have nothing further to say to that person. Another HPD officersaid he would arrest anyone hebecame aware ofcarrying whether the weapon was concealed or not, and when I asked what Code section he would use to justify that he said that "public gatherings" [snip]
I wore the uniform of this nation for 20 years and would have had my ASS handed to me on a platterif I misrepresented myself and Navy Regs and brought such discredit on my uniform, command and the Navyin such a blatant manner. An OATH is an OATH.

Those two officers are bound to uphold the law...EVEN THE ONES THEY DON'T PERSONALLY LIKE....That's life. They need to either be re-trained and re-formed, or re-moved.

Things like that need an immediate letter to the Chief of Police (copy to Mayor, DA, etc...) quoting the law and stating that this type of blatant disregard for the law on the part of anyonesworn to uphold the law is a discredit to their uniform or officeand a severe breach ofthe public trust and will not be tolerated.

This is my first post on this forum. I also live in Hinesville and just got my pistol permit last month. I spend a lot of time and money at Mission Essential. This post makes me want to OC as much as I can. Carrying to work, however, is a no-no. I work on Camp Swampy.

Damn Public Gathering clause.:cuss:

officerjdc

imported post

Samuel Adams wrote:
BobCav wrote:
officerjdc wrote:
JimMartinVTX wrote:

Keep up the good fight!!

This is my first post on this forum. I also live in Hinesville and just got my pistol permit last month. I spend a lot of time and money at Mission Essential. This post makes me want to OC as much as I can. Carrying to work, however, is a no-no. I work on Camp Swampy.

I work there too, as one of the gate guards no less. With Fort Stewart regulations being the way they are, I am required to travel to the guardhouse unarmed, without a weapon either on me or in my truck. When I get there and sign in I will then be issued a weapon and two 15 shot magazines for it and carry that weapon openly with one of those magazines in it for the duration of my shift. Then at the end of my shift I will turn that weapon and ammo in and sign out unarmed again for the drive back home.

I've always thought the Georgia laws on licensed carry of weapons were poorly written. To start with, I don't like the use of the term "public gathering" for a restricted area. That's a confusing term because it implies that anywhere the public gathers is off limits. Another thing I don't like is the way a "public gathering" is defined as "including, but not limited to....." because it doesn't set a clear definition of exactly where is or is not off limits and gives law enforcement too much leeway in deciding for themselves just what constitutes a "public gathering" under the law. I also think we put way too many places off limits.

Samuel Adams, I also spend a lot of time and $$$ at Mission Essential. I have a membership there and shoot on their indoor range often. We might considermeeting there some time for some shooting. I have a GFL too, and I've had one since 2001. Welcome aboard!:)

Samuel Adams

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Samuel Adams wrote:
BobCav wrote:
officerjdc wrote:
JimMartinVTX wrote:

Keep up the good fight!!

I work there too, as one of the gate guards no less. With Fort Stewart regulations being the way they are, I am required to travel to the guardhouse unarmed, without a weapon either on me or in my truck. When I get there and sign in I will then be issued a weapon and two 15 shot magazines for it and carry that weapon openly with one of those magazines in it for the duration of my shift. Then at the end of my shift I will turn that weapon and ammo in and sign out unarmed again for the drive back home.

I've always thought the Georgia laws on licensed carry of weapons were poorly written. To start with, I don't like the use of the term "public gathering" for a restricted area. That's a confusing term because it implies that anywhere the public gathers is off limits. Another thing I don't like is the way a "public gathering" is defined as "including, but not limited to....." because it doesn't set a clear definition of exactly where is or is not off limits and gives law enforcement too much leeway in deciding for themselves just what constitutes a "public gathering" under the law. I also think we put way too many places off limits.

Samuel Adams, I also spend a lot of time and $$$ at Mission Essential. I have a membership there and shoot on their indoor range often. We might considermeeting there some time for some shooting. I have a GFL too, and I've had one since 2001. Welcome aboard!:)
Thanks. Some friends and I are interested in starting a pistol club in Hinesville. The closest currently active are in Effingham County and in Glynn County. Pass the word. Right now I'm working on getting a bowling pin shoot arrainged but I'd like to get an IDPA club started. BTW, I work at Central.