• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Effingham County LEO encounter

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
I am required to travel to the guardhouse unarmed, without a weapon either on me or in my truck. When I get there and sign in I will then be issued a weapon and two 15 shot magazines for it and carry that weapon openly with one of those magazines in it for the duration of my shift.

THAT makes a lot of sense! :lol:

Samuel Adams

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Samuel Adams wrote:
Thanks. Some friends and I are interested in starting a pistol club in Hinesville. The closest currently active are in Effingham County and in Glynn County. Pass the word.

In the interest of "passing on the word," you may want to post a thread in the Ranges section of GeorgiaPacking.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

:D
Thanks.

C

ccloud43

imported post

Hello all, I will be visiting your area Memorial weekend for my daughters graduation.

After checking the laws I will not be able to carry because Ga does not honor Va permits. From the look of the map from VCDL i will have to disarm before i enter SC. I would like toask if it is legal to have an unloaded pistol locked in the vehicle when i am driving.

Thanks...

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

ccloud43 wrote:
Hello all, I will be visiting your area Memorial weekend for my daughters graduation.

After checking the laws I will not be able to carry because Ga does not honor Va permits. From the look of the map from VCDL i will have to disarm before i enter SC. I would like toask if it is legal to have an unloaded pistol locked in the vehicle when i am driving.

Thanks...

This is a difficult question, because of the eligibility requirement. The technical answer is that it is probably illegal unless it is plain and open view. The practical answer is that if it is in your glovebox, you are unlikely to be caught, and, if caught, very unlikely to be prosecuted. A large majority of police officers probably think it is legal for you to have it there and have no idea. Those that do know probably will not even mention it to you.

So my practical advice would be to throw it in the glovebox and do not mention it.

;)

I do not travel without a gun.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

ccloud43 wrote:

Thanks...

This is a difficult question, because of the eligibility requirement. The technical answer is that it is probably illegal unless it is plain and open view. The practical answer is that if it is in your glovebox, you are unlikely to be caught, and, if caught, very unlikely to be prosecuted. A large majority of police officers probably think it is legal for you to have it there and have no idea. Those that do know probably will not even mention it to you.

So my practical advice would be to throw it in the glovebox and do not mention it.

;)

I do not travel without a gun.

Boomer654

imported post

I remember talking to an LEO I know and asking him if it bothered him that I had a pistol. He said "Nah... I've got one too. I only worry about the ones I can't see."