• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the new laws forcing employers

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Freeflight wrote:
Having the sign displayed is the same thing as telling you in person for the first time to leave immediately.
Cite the relevant VA code section please.
He can't. It doesn't exist.

possumboy

imported post

DreQo wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Freeflight wrote:
Having the sign displayed is the same thing as telling you in person for the first time to leave immediately.
Virginia Code § 18.2-119 defines the crime of trespassing as follows:

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen, or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to §§ 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or § 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to § 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of §§ 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.

ne1

imported post

LEOs think that just because they can selectively choose to enforce any number of laws that they are always right. Ms. Marsh was arrested but she eventually prevailed, demonstrating that right cantriumph over might.

sjhipple

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Their, the corps, property rights dont supercede my property rights, my vehicle, also the corp should also not be able to prevent me from defending myself in my travels to or from work which is what a gun in a vehicle ban does.

They're not infringing on your property right to your vehicle. You don't have to park it there. They absolutely do have the right to tell you can't defend yourself outside of work as a condition of employement. As long as you weren't coerced to agree to it, any agreement between people infringes on no rights.

Rights are NOT infringed through agreements. They are infringed when coercion and force are involved. In order to claim an infringement, you have to point to an initiation of force by someone that took away your ability to make your own choice.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

All a moot point anyway.

You can keep your firearm in your vehicle on company property regardless of what the company's policy is.

Just keep your mouth shut.

No (known) harm, no foul. You've broken NO LAW. I've never been asked for my vehicle to be searched by my employer, must less my desk which is my employer's property.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

possumboy wrote:
DreQo wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Freeflight wrote:
Virginia Code § 18.2-119 defines the crime of trespassing as follows:

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen, or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to §§ 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or § 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to § 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of §§ 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.

I was under the impression that this was in reference to trespassing in and of itself, as the wording implies that sign would forbid entrance to the property all together. On the other hand, if a property is open to the public (i.e. a mall), a sign banning a certain object or activity would not hold legal weight.

I'm not as familiar with VA law as I am NC. Anyone know what am I talking about? Or am I completely off base?

67GT390FB

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
Their, the corps, property rights dont supercede my property rights, my vehicle, also the corp should also not be able to prevent me from defending myself in my travels to or from work which is what a gun in a vehicle ban does.

They're not infringing on your property right to your vehicle. You don't have to park it there. They absolutely do have the right to tell you can't defend yourself outside of work as a condition of employement. As long as you weren't coerced to agree to it, any agreement between people infringes on no rights.

Rights are NOT infringed through agreements. They are infringed when coercion and force are involved. In order to claim an infringement, you have to point to an initiation of force by someone that took away your ability to make your own choice.

did you not read my entire statement, some corps are requiring that their employees park only on their property.

mkl

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:

did you not read my entire statement, some corps are requiring that their employees park only on their property.

[/quote]

I have no problem with that either. As an employee you and an employer are getting together for a voluntary exchange. You get paid for your labor, your employer gets to benefit from your labor. If one of the conditions of that voluntary agreement is that you must park your car on their lot, so be it. If you are not forced to work there, why would you do it? If no one worked there, the place wouldn't exist. These problems solve themselves without making new laws.

LEO 229

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
What you are saying may be correct in Virginia, but it sure is NOT in WA....snipped
I apologise. You are correct..

Since I am from Virginia and the topic deals with something at state level... I am speaking about Virginia laws and not the laws of the other state. Many states are likely about the same but there can always be one that is not.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Many of thye Companies that prohibit vehicle carry also have termination clauses if you refuse a search of your vehicle.

sjhipple

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

So what? Are they coercing the employees to work there? Where's the right being infringed? The employee AGREED without coercion to work there.

Many rights are limited by employment contracts. You can't say certain things, you can't travel while you're on the clock, you can have your clothing, car or locker searched, etc.

mkl

imported post

lockman wrote:
Many of thye Companies that prohibit vehicle carry also have termination clauses if you refuse a search of your vehicle.

Great! Why would you want to work for that company anyway? Sounds like a win -win for gun owners.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Once you incorporate a business you give up a lot of rights. You become a tax collector for the state if you sell retail, you are subject to various regulations. The state micro manages everything fronm the size of your parking lot to the green space. If you are lucky enought to live in an unincorporated area of a county that still has a live let live attitude you can concider yourself lucky.

expvideo

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
expvideo wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Hef wrote:
A vehicle is private property, like a person's home. As long as the weapon stays in the car while on company property, it's presence is irrelevant, especially when the employer is not liable for criminal misuse of the weapon (should it be stolen from the vehicle).

If it's legal for me to have, and it stays in my car, it isn't my employer's business. That said, everyone I work with - and I do mean everyone - has a gun at work, either in their vehicle, their desk, or on their person.
It's "legal for you to have" but that's completely irrelevant to this discussion.We're not talking about government taking something away (which is when laws would be relevant). This is about private people contracting together. Something being legal doesn't mean I have to allow it on my property.
You seem to be confusing corporations with people.

The weapon is in the vehicle, which is my property. So until it leaves the vehicle, it is not on their property. They can't paint my car while I'm at work just because it's on their property, and they can't regulate what is in it either.

My pants are my property but if I have it in my pocket and you say you can't have that, then that's an infringement on your right to property.

Corporations are owned by individuals and so when you infringe on the property rights of teh corporation, you're infringing on the property rights of the shareholders.
Legally, no. Pants are not property. Not in the sense that a car or house is property. If that was true you could argue that you are always on your own property and therefore able to do whatever you want, because your shoes are property. That is not the case. A car, however, is legally considered your "property".

LEO 229

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Freeflight wrote:
HERE YOU GO!!! :D

Please take note that when the statecode talks about a sign but doesNOT say what the sign must contain. So there is nolegal requirement for it to actually say the words "No Trespassing" for it to be valid.

In layman's terms.... "a sign that says your forbidden to do something"

§ 18.2-119. Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties.

If any personwithout authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof,

after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof,

or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted

by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen,

or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to ... Snipped

LEO 229

imported post

ne1 wrote:
LEOs think that just because they can selectively choose to enforce any number of laws that they are always right. Ms. Marsh was arrested but she eventually prevaled, demonstrating that right can prevail over might.
I am speaking from experience.

Who is Ms March?

ChinChin

imported post

mkl wrote:
We start going down a very slippery slope when we start forcing property owners to allow/disallow certain things on their property. It should be up to the people involved to make agreements as to what is acceptable/unacceptable, and not the government.

You mean like ADA guidlines such as ramps, automatic door openers, shorter height drinking fountains, specific slope graded concrete, and disabled parking?

If one has these items for accessability and safety, why should their accesability and safety be more premissable then my accesibility and safety?

jack

Banned
imported post

mkl wrote:
"Just as your landlord can't kick you out for having weapons in your apartment"

I think as a landlord I should be able to set whatever conditions I want in the lease.

"property owner allows someone to park their vehicle on their property, they would be accepting whatever is in that vehicle, right?"

My thoughts are:
Yes. However if the property owner says "You can park your car here, but only if you agree to these rules" Then you must abide by those rules. Those rules might be that your car has to be clean and in good working order and tagged, or it might be "No guns in the car". I think the property owner should be able to ban your car from his property for ANY reason. Yes, including that he doesn't want guns.

"So is there a different solution that doesn't?"

Yes. It is called "Freedom" and the Free Market. People could chose not to work for a company that institutes a "No gun" policy. Or people could work there, but demand the company provide some sort of enhanced security. Or a company might step in and make a parking lot in the metro area that had good security that marketed themselves to people who needed to leave guns in the cars while at work. Who knows what a free market would provide if government didn't get involved.

Instead of running to the government so they use force to promote their will, everyone could just respect everyone else, and vote with their dollars and with their labor.
Virginia law specificallydisallows a landlord from attempting to prohibit a tenant from having firearms. What you think you should be able to do with respect to landlord /tenet relations is irrelevant, it's all very well defined in Virginia.