Thread: no carry in Giant food stores?

Post imported post

They have these metal detector looking things at the entrances, and today an employee said you couldn't carry, the detectors are for guns and only LEO's can carryin the stores. I am like WTH? I thought they were those anti shoplifting things to detect unscanned items.

This is in York county and there are no " no guns" signs that I can see anywhere.

I didn't feel like badgering the manager today. My mother was with me and she gets irrate if I do too much " gun talk stuff" with her around.

If this chain does have some weird no guns thing in place, it might be a company worthy of protesting.

Post imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
    They have these metal detector looking things at the entrances, and today an employee said you couldn't carry, the detectors are for guns and only LEO's can carryin the stores. I am like WTH? I thought they were those anti shoplifting things to detect unscanned items.

This is in York county and there are no " no guns" signs that I can see anywhere.

I didn't feel like badgering the manager today. My mother was with me and she gets irrate if I do too much " gun talk stuff" with her around.

If this chain does have some weird no guns thing in place, it might be a company worthy of protesting.
    Don't let them fool you. Those devices at the entrance are anti-shoplifting devices. Think about it. How exactly would they detect guns? If they were metal detectors, then they would be going off constantly and the store would have to employ full time screeners.

The employee seems to be using this flimsy fabrication as a pretense to say that carry is not allowed. Now ... carry may be prohibited but that has nothing to do with the sensors at the door.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have OC'd at both Giant Food Stores in Chambersburg, PA (multiple times) without incident. The stores in my area do not have the devices you described, but I agree with jpierce that they are not 'gun detectors'.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
    It doesn't matter if they do. Signs carry no legal weight in PA.

Post imported post

I've shopped a couple of different Giant Eagles in Pittsburgh...only had a problem once and that was with an LEO who wanted me to CC. Never have been asked to leave or really been approached the other 97% of the time i have gone.

Post imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
    XD40coyote wrote:
    It doesn't matter if they do. Signs carry no legal weight in PA.
    But they can get you for trespassing if you refuse to leave, right?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

If they ask you to leave, and if you refuse, then you can be cited for defiant trespass, but not before.

Post imported post

I've carried throughthem without them going off.

I also had one of those things that comes on a CD to set off the detector at the music store in my pocket once. It set it off. Everyone looked at me. It didn't go off on the way out though.

Post imported post

Conclusion- while the employee was a very nice lady, she has no idea what she is talking about. Thanks all for affirming.

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Then again, Giant Eagle and Giant are two different chains

That being said, I've OC'd at the Waterworks, Parkway Center and Robinson Giant Eagles without incident.

Post imported post

Ya know, I'd probably OC more, but I hate tucking my shirt in.

OT: All you OC rebels, did you always go tucked even before OC?

Post imported post

No, i never tuck my shirt in...i just put my shirt behind my pistol grip.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

DJ TURNz wrote:

Yes.

Banned

Post imported post

DJ TURNz wrote:

I'm just too tall for my shirts (Even with a 2XL) so they come about to my pants' waistline, and I carry SOB OWB. I OC whether I want to most of the time.

Post imported post

I carry everytime I go into the Shrewsbury Giant and I'd love for her to tell me they are gun detectors. Thats kinda funny.

Post imported post

chrisjames_71 wrote:
    I carry everytime I go into the Shrewsbury Giant and I'd love for her to tell me they are gun detectors. Thats kinda funny.
    Well she works in the flower dept , so go talk to her LOL.

Hmm how about open carrying, I assume you ccw.

Post imported post

I typically CCW (don't really do open that often).

Post imported post

Are you the guy who lives near Railroad?

Wouldn't mind meeting you some time.

With warmer weather look for me about town, I often wear bullet casing wristbands, gun theme t-shirts, a t-shirt with a mean looking wolf's head, and a Freedom Armory hat. Going to order an XDtalk hat too, plus XDtalk shirt. I am a "big" woman ( 225 pounds) with dark hair, age 35 but look younger.

I think it would be neat if we could get some other gun owners together, maybe start a littleOC group locally. Test the waters and see how it goes with local cops and the MD transplants.

Post imported post

No I am not from there. I was there last night and actually had my weapon in the open a few times (wasn't OC, but my fleece was short) and had the one armed Schaad guy give me a look or two or kinda cleared his throat when I walked by. But no one ever said anything to me.

Post imported post

I take it you live somewhere near by. LikeI said, I'd like to meet anyone local, anyone who would be willing to try OC in the general area. There is all this activity in NoVA all the time , but I don't see any in southern York county, which is very conveinient for me over VA. So would be great to see some OCers in the area. The only time was some guy with his little girl in the #1 Sezhuan chinese place, doing carry out pickup last summer. But I don't know if he was genuine OC or some plainclothes LEO.

Maybe that was you?!

LOL those Schaad guardsare something else, esp the one I see around who looks like he is 80 yrs old. Never noticed any armed ones though.

Post imported post

I live right on the border of PA/Harford County (literally on the line). Nope wasn't me in the #1 (I have a little boy). The one armed guy looks to be about 80 and always hangs out in the HBA aisle (but then they all do). Don't really ever see OC'ing ever kicking off in SYC area. Too many uptight people around

Post imported post

I had a problem with a manager at my local Giant while OCing. She demanded to see my ID, I refused, and she said she was going to call the police, I replied go ahead. My wife and I continued to shop long enough for the cops to show up if she had called. Long story short, I boycoted this Giant for awhile, returned without any incident from the same manager. My advice, stick to your guns.

Post imported post

chrisjames_71 wrote:
    I live right on the border of PA/Harford County (literally on the line). Nope wasn't me in the #1 (I have a little boy). The one armed guy looks to be about 80 and always hangs out in the HBA aisle (but then they all do). Don't really ever see OC'ing ever kicking off in SYC area. Too many uptight people around
    LOL as to where you live- I live on the Balto co/PA line, almost literally, actually 1 mile by road, less as crows fly.

As to uptight people, hmm I dunno, read about the guys who OC in the Philly burbs, I'd think those would be some really uptight people in those areas.

I guess no one will know reactions till some people start OCing around the area. As stated before in other posts, I am not mentally tough enough to be the sacrificial sheepdog to deal with any police BS. Was hoping some manly men might be tough enough though he he. Hmm maybe some of the VA guys should come up here and show us how its done! LOL

Post imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
    chrisjames_71 wrote:
    LOL as to where you live- I live on the Balto co/PA line, almost literally, actually 1 mile by road, less as crows fly.

As to uptight people, hmm I dunno, read about the guys who OC in the Philly burbs, I'd think those would be some really uptight people in those areas.

I guess no one will know reactions till some people start OCing around the area. As stated before in other posts, I am not mentally tough enough to be the sacrificial sheepdog to deal with any police BS. Was hoping some manly men might be tough enough though he he. Hmm maybe some of the VA guys should come up here and show us how its done! LOL
    Well, have an OC dinner there after October, and I'll show up very OCing. :celebrate

Post imported post

I used to work at Giant Foods, I was never informed of any No Firearms policies, and I have never seen a sign posted in a Giant store stating this. Infact while I worked there, I had OC'd in the store as a customer several times, and (though I realize it probably wasnt too bright at the time :?) I even went into the back room and spoke with my manager once, and had no issues. Let it be noted though that whether you work there or not, please Do Not go into empoyee areas with a firearm on your hip. I had no issues, but I beleive it was a very dumb idea, it just hadn't occured to me untill about 5 minutes after I did it.