• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no carry in Giant food stores?

XD40coyote

imported post

They have these metal detector looking things at the entrances, and today an employee said you couldn't carry, the detectors are for guns and only LEO's can carryin the stores. I am like WTH? I thought they were those anti shoplifting things to detect unscanned items.

This is in York county and there are no " no guns" signs that I can see anywhere.

I didn't feel like badgering the manager today. My mother was with me and she gets irrate if I do too much " gun talk stuff" with her around.

If this chain does have some weird no guns thing in place, it might be a company worthy of protesting.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
They have these metal detector looking things at the entrances, and today an employee said you couldn't carry, the detectors are for guns and only LEO's can carryin the stores. I am like WTH? I thought they were those anti shoplifting things to detect unscanned items.

This is in York county and there are no " no guns" signs that I can see anywhere.

I didn't feel like badgering the manager today. My mother was with me and she gets irrate if I do too much " gun talk stuff" with her around.

If this chain does have some weird no guns thing in place, it might be a company worthy of protesting.
Don't let them fool you. Those devices at the entrance are anti-shoplifting devices. Think about it. How exactly would they detect guns? If they were metal detectors, then they would be going off constantly and the store would have to employ full time screeners.

The employee seems to be using this flimsy fabrication as a pretense to say that carry is not allowed. Now ... carry may be prohibited but that has nothing to do with the sensors at the door.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have OC'd at both Giant Food Stores in Chambersburg, PA (multiple times) without incident. The stores in my area do not have the devices you described, but I agree with jpierce that they are not 'gun detectors'.:D

Prophet

imported post

I've shopped a couple of different Giant Eagles in Pittsburgh...only had a problem once and that was with an LEO who wanted me to CC. Never have been asked to leave or really been approached the other 97% of the time i have gone.

DJ TURNz

imported post

I've carried throughthem without them going off.

I also had one of those things that comes on a CD to set off the detector at the music store in my pocket once. It set it off. Everyone looked at me. It didn't go off on the way out though.

DJ TURNz

imported post

Ya know, I'd probably OC more, but I hate tucking my shirt in.

OT: All you OC rebels, did you always go tucked even before OC?

Aran

Banned
imported post

DJ TURNz wrote:
Ya know, I'd probably OC more, but I hate tucking my shirt in.

OT: All you OC rebels, did you always go tucked even before OC?
I'm just too tall for my shirts (Even with a 2XL) so they come about to my pants' waistline, and I carry SOB OWB. I OC whether I want to most of the time.

XD40coyote

imported post

chrisjames_71 wrote:
I carry everytime I go into the Shrewsbury Giant and I'd love for her to tell me they are gun detectors. Thats kinda funny.

Well she works in the flower dept , so go talk to her LOL.

Hmm how about open carrying, I assume you ccw.

XD40coyote

imported post

Are you the guy who lives near Railroad?

Wouldn't mind meeting you some time.

With warmer weather look for me about town, I often wear bullet casing wristbands, gun theme t-shirts, a t-shirt with a mean looking wolf's head, and a Freedom Armory hat. Going to order an XDtalk hat too, plus XDtalk shirt. I am a "big" woman ( 225 pounds) with dark hair, age 35 but look younger.

I think it would be neat if we could get some other gun owners together, maybe start a littleOC group locally. Test the waters and see how it goes with local cops and the MD transplants.

chrisjames_71

imported post

No I am not from there. I was there last night and actually had my weapon in the open a few times (wasn't OC, but my fleece was short) and had the one armed Schaad guy give me a look or two or kinda cleared his throat when I walked by. But no one ever said anything to me.

XD40coyote

imported post

I take it you live somewhere near by. LikeI said, I'd like to meet anyone local, anyone who would be willing to try OC in the general area. There is all this activity in NoVA all the time , but I don't see any in southern York county, which is very conveinient for me over VA. So would be great to see some OCers in the area. The only time was some guy with his little girl in the #1 Sezhuan chinese place, doing carry out pickup last summer. But I don't know if he was genuine OC or some plainclothes LEO.

Maybe that was you?!

LOL those Schaad guardsare something else, esp the one I see around who looks like he is 80 yrs old. Never noticed any armed ones though.