• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bridgewater College - Gun Control Debate

AbNo

imported post

So, I just returned from the Bridgewater College symposium (?) on gun control, a political debate between John Lott, and Frank Zimring.

I even got Lott's autograph on the program for the event. :celebrate

I think the best two parts would be at the end, when Zimring (the anti-gun), who'd been going on about how GREAT NYC's gun permit process was, and how the crime rate in NYC went down.

Someone (I believe Lott) asked if there were any other factors that could contribute to the decrease in crime.

Zimring started to say that police had about 33% more man power, and were being held more accountable for their work. Suddenly, some good-looking devil in the audience that was waiting in line to ask a question shouted out "So you mean the police actually started doing their jobs?" :cool:

The entire auditorium went wild over that comment, and they cut the questions off to just before me because of that outburst.

The after-debate was equally funny, when Zimring repeatedly accused me of getting his statements wrong, but the highlight of the evening was when I asked him...

"Wouldn't banning people from shooting other people solve this problem? If passing laws banning guns work, as you say, wouldn't passing a law banning shooting other people work just as well?"

His response? "This is about gun control, not passing laws!"

I couldn't keep a straight face after that. It was bad enough that I had to stop him from interrupting me four times while I was asking it, but his response just made my day. I only wish I'd remembered to record it.

I still think it's awesome that a lawyer told me to quit using rhetoric. :lol:

I brought my pocket voice recorder, and will transfer it to .mp3 later. I have to do it manually by plugging a male-to-male cord into my sound card and play the file, so I'll need about an hour and a half to play it, plus a little time to do some minor editting. I would consider it now, but I was just invited to head out to Luigi's and get a beverage with a couple of friends. :D

Neplusultra

imported post

AbNo wrote:
So, I just returned from the Bridgewater College symposium (?) on gun control, a political debate between John Lott, and Frank Zimring.

I even got Lott's autograph on the program for the event. :celebrate

I think the best two parts would be at the end, when Zimring (the anti-gun), who'd been going on about how GREAT NYC's gun permit process was, and how the crime rate in NYC went down.

Someone (I believe Lott) asked if there were any other factors that could contribute to the decrease in crime.

Zimring started to say that police had about 33% more man power, and were being held more accountable for their work. Suddenly, some good-looking devil in the audience that was waiting in line to ask a question shouted out "So you mean the police actually started doing their jobs?" :cool:

The entire auditorium went wild over that comment, and they cut the questions off to just before me because of that outburst.

The after-debate was equally funny, when Zimring repeatedly accused me of getting his statements wrong, but the highlight of the evening was when I asked him...

"Wouldn't banning people from shooting other people solve this problem? If passing laws banning guns work, as you say, wouldn't passing a law banning shooting other people work just as well?"

His response? "This is about gun control, not passing laws!"

I couldn't keep a straight face after that. It was bad enough that I had to stop him from interrupting me four times while I was asking it, but his response just made my day. I only wish I'd remembered to record it.

I still think it's awesome that a lawyer told me to quit using rhetoric. :lol:

I brought my pocket voice recorder, and will transfer it to .mp3 later. I have to do it manually by plugging a male-to-male cord into my sound card and play the file, so I'll need about an hour and a half to play it, plus a little time to do some minor editting. I would consider it now, but I was just invited to head out to Luigi's and get a beverage with a couple of friends. :D
First off, as conservatives we can't allow male to male plug interactions. But otherwise it seems you did well. I'm looking forward to hearing the "debate". Why is it that you didn't record the comments you mentioned? Looking forward to your post drunk edit posting.... :^). Abno, as in Abnormal?? Just wondering :^).

AbNo

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I'm looking forward to hearing the "debate".  Why is it that you didn't record the comments you mentioned?  Looking forward to your post drunk edit posting.... :^).  Abno, as in Abnormal??  Just wondering :^).

I just forgot to get it back out. I stopped going to BW campus last year after I decided someone should stop being my friend, so I had to take a moment to find my way around.

Neg on the abnormal. It's an abreviation, but it doesn't stand for anything. The capitalization is important.

(Yes, I just got home)