• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Photos of the April 9th meet.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

We had a great turn out for this one! More that 30 open carriers showed up, not counting the children. A few of them left before the group photo, and a few showed up after the photo was taken. I will only post this one, if you want to see them all, they can be found here. Sorry if this pics are dark, but if you don't like it, then buy me a new camera! :p

New009.jpg

We had some positive and negative feedback from other customers in the restaurant. Overall, everything went very well. Nick, the reporter, seems very fair minded, and unbiased. So hopefully we will have a good story soon. He does not yet know the time frame for the article to be printed, but he will keep me informed.

Thanks again to everyone that showed up on short notice!

Venzor

imported post

Hey all, I'm new to OCDO courtesy of this meet :)

For those that I didn't have a chance to introduce myself to, I'm Andrew, and have been lurking at UtahConcealedCarry.com for a while.

I had a good time, met many great people, and enjoyed tasty food. This was my first time OCing (and carrying in general), and so I was a little nervous. But after being around everyone else OCing and with a little "encouragement" for me to actually put my magazine in my gun, I was feeling a lot more comfortable. I will definitely be OCing more often.

The best thing about the night was everything I learned and discussed. Topics ranged from how to "pimp" your gun to clarification on some vagaries in the rules. Extra thanks to Clark Aposhian, who courteously and promptly provided excellent counsel on our questions, despite showing up late for the party. ;)

I think we should definitely do this often!

utahxd9

imported post

My family all had a good time. It was nice meeting a few more people face to face. My kids loved that everyone was carrying guns. They would point to one & say Dad what kind of gun is that or wow that is a cool gun that he has. My favorite was my son he said "Mom that Grandma is carrying a gun! She must be really strong."
Thanks for putting this together Kevin

Jay

ScottyT

imported post

Ugh, I can't see the pics at work...

I had such a great time last night, it was great seeing so many people OCing! Great food, great stories, great conversation -- I can't wait for the next one! Last night was day 2 of my OC life, I still have to CC at work, but I will switch holseters when I get home everyday!

The reporter seemed quite nice, I couldn't tell if he was nervous being around all those guns, or if that was just his personality, but I had a very positive experience talking to him.

Thanks so much to the organizers, I hope to see you all again real soon! I am also thrilled that UCC is now in my life to help me find people to shoot with!

-ScottyT

swillden

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Sorry if this pics are dark, but if you don't like it, then buy me a new camera!
One comment about the picture, for future use: When shooting in dark places, you should see if you can increase the ISO setting on your camera. I looked up your camera and it can be set to 100, 200 or 400. Higher values make the camera more sensitive to light, at the expense of some image "graininess" (actually noise, but the effect is similar).

What happened is that your camera determined it was dark enough to use the flash, and when using the flash it defaults to ISO 100, but its flash wasn't powerful enough to illuminate the scene. Turning up the ISO would have made the flash more effective. At ISO 100, your flash has a range of 9.8 feet, at 200 it will reach out 13.7 feet, at 400 it will reach 19.6 feet, which would have been enough in this case. The noise would have degraded the image a little, but it would have added less noise than is introduced by trying to lighten a too-dark image after the fact.

Try it out. Go into a moderately-lit room in the evening and try taking three pictures, with the flash on, at ISO settings of 100, 200 and 400. You'll see that it makes a big difference, and you'll also be able to see just how bad the grain gets on your camera. It's possible that at ISO 400 the grain is horrible, and you're better off just getting a dim picture, but I'll bet it's not so bad.

A better camera is never a bad thing, but even really cheap cameras can produce surprisingly good results if you learn how to use them well.

Some advice from your friendly neighborhood photo geek. :)

b1ack5mith

imported post

guys, between the 14th and the 21st my fiancee is comin down from KY (shes in college in KY) and shes a photography major, if you guys want an OC meet while shes over, she can take pics for us :D i bought her a really good camera, so we'd get some pretty sweet pictures ;)

shes never been to utah, im sure she'll love it here!

ScottyT

imported post

I can actually view this one at work!!!

What a great turn out. Who are the elderly couple front left? I failed to introduce myself, but that woman is my hero!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What a great meet. Wish I could have been there. I find it especially wonderful that there is such a cross section of America represented in the picture - infants through seasoned citizens. Kudos to the Utah members!!

ScottyT

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
What a great meet. Wish I could have been there. I find it especially wonderful that there is such a cross section of America represented in the picture - infants through seasoned citizens. Kudos to the Utah members!!

...not to mention cowboys to piercings to shirt and tie, that was one of my favorite things. Thanks for the kudos!

UtahRSO

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
Who are the elderly couple front left? I failed to introduce myself, but that woman is my hero!

That is UtahRSO and his wife.
Yes, that's my wife. She got her CFP last August, and she has CCed quite a bit, but this picture records the FIRST TIME she has carried openly. She says it won't be the last time!