• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Tech and their ten million dollars....

AbNo

imported post

From the lastest VCDL alert....
11. LTE: VA Tech's new security policies worth investigating

Letter: Tech's new security policies worth investigating
Letter to the editor
Friday, March 28; 12:00 AM

So far Virginia Tech has spent $10.4 million in security revisions.

These include, but are not limited to, the alert system which I, and many others I know, did not get on Tuesday's test, installing doors that cannot be chained shut, locking down the dorms even though they were locked when the incident took place last year, and adding 10 more officers to the Virginia Tech police, making the student to officer ratio 500:1 if all are on duty at once.

Last week as I heard the lists of defenses put in place and the manner of how a door locks, I recalled my World War II history.

That first line caught my eye.... "VA Tech's new security policies worth investigating".

So I thought to myself, "Self," I said, "you have a rather critical eye, and tend to notice holes in security. Maybe checking out VA Tech's new setup is a good idea."

I am just wondering what sort of steps I would need to go through, what sort of liability I would potentially fall under, and what I would do with any such report.

Also, the fact it's about a 2-hour drive over there doesn't exactly thrill me. :D

I guess my point for posting this would be: Is there any interest in a deviant's-eye perspective of VA Tech's newly revamped security?

Edit: This was probably supposed to go in the Virginia section, move if desired.

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm... the school apparently has about 30,000 students. So, to spread out the money evenly, that would come out to about $350 per students. A nice Saiga AK (semi-auto) runs about $300 retail, so I'd say the money would be more than enough to buy each student an AK plus 5 full mags of ammo. Now that would be one effing secure campus.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Hmm... the school apparently has about 30,000 students. So, to spread out the money evenly, that would come out to about $350 per students. A nice Saiga AK (semi-auto) runs about $300 retail, so I'd say the money would be more than enough to buy each student an AK plus 5 full mags of ammo. Now that would be one effing secure campus.
DANGIT! You beat me to it! That's a whole lot of wasted money if you ask me. Even if they just armed the teachers it would make a huge difference! I wonder how much it would cost to set up voluntary CCW training, weapons, and permits for teachers and students? Or maybe just training and permits? How great would it be if your college offered to pay for your Concealed Handgun Permit and training? :D

imperialism2024

imported post

DreQo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
DANGIT! You beat me to it! That's a whole lot of wasted money if you ask me. Even if they just armed the teachers it would make a huge difference! I wonder how much it would cost to set up voluntary CCW training, weapons, and permits for teachers and students? Or maybe just training and permits? How great would it be if your college offered to pay for your Concealed Handgun Permit and training? :D
Well, I'm sure we could probably get the cost down to under $100 per student if they use surplus full-auto AK's from third world countries that have taken a break from killing each other. That would leave a budget of $250 per student for training, which should be sufficient.

Now, to do the same thing with public K-12 schools...

Huck

imported post

DreQo wrote:

It would never happen because;

(A) It makes sense and,

(B) It would upset the libs. "That money would be better used in social programs!" (in a whining tone of voice)

PavePusher

imported post

Huck wrote:
DreQo wrote:

It would never happen because;

(A) It makes sense and,

(B) It would upset the libs. "That money would be better used in social programs!" (in a whining tone of voice)
It is a "social" program. They'd be "socializing" self-defense. Arming the militia. Just like they say the Second Amendment says...:shock: