• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Venator's OC at the Capitol

95grad

imported post

I have some friends who work for the State and from what I heard, Venator was a the Capitol with his gun on his hip and there were school children all over the place. Apparently, the Capitol gives tours to kids coming from all over the state on field trips and there were a ton of them on the day that he came to the Capitol. The legislature was on Spring Break, so the building was packed with kids.

Anyway, from what I've heard, there are some parents of kids that were there that day, that want to make the Capitol a gun-free zone because of what he did.

I too didn't realize that there were kids in the Capitol all the time.

Michigander

imported post

With all due respect to you, the fact that your very first post is slamming one of the leading members of this states forum, combined with the fact you've given no substantiation, makes you look like a troll.

I talked to Venator about this in person, and he said he got no negative responses from anyone. I also recall that he said few people seemed to notice. Lastly, as far as I remember, the only places he went were stores and maybe a restaurant with his daughter. Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this Venator.

Please give this some form of substantiation if you want to be taken seriously, because as of right now, you merely look like someone trying to cause trouble.

95grad

imported post

Well, I'm sorry that you think that I'm a troll and I wasn't slamming Venator. I have friends who work for the state and from what they said, no one has ever OC'd at the Capitol before and it disturbed some people because of the large amounts of children that go through there everyday.

One of my friends works across the street from the Capitol and his office received some phone calls about the incident. Another friend works for one of the legislators in the Capitol and his boss is considering sponsoring a bill that would make the Capitol a gun free zone with some exceptions. Similar to the bill about judges.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm new here and was just trying to pass on some information.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

95grad wrote:
I have some friends who work for the State and from what I heard, Venator was a the Capitol with his gun on his hip and there were school children all over the place. Apparently, the Capitol gives tours to kids coming from all over the state on field trips and there were a ton of them on the day that he came to the Capitol. The legislature was on Spring Break, so the building was packed with kids.

Anyway, from what I've heard, there are some parents of kids that were there that day, that want to make the Capitol a gun-free zone because of what he did.

I too didn't realize that there were kids in the Capitol all the time.

Great idea!!! Gun Free Zones eliminate"Evil Black Guns" in, for example, schools where the halls and classrooms are 'packed' with kids. It worked-out well at Virginia Tech...didn't it???

But really, do you see/find something wrong with a law-abiding citizen of the U.S of A. legally carrying a firearm in public? Which reminds me....

Why are you here???

95grad

imported post

Virginia Tech isn't the Capitol of Michigan.

I'm here because I wanted to learn some more about OCing. I got a gun as a gift from my dad and he suggested this site. Is that a problem?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

95grad wrote:
Virginia Tech isn't the Capitol of Michigan.

I'm here because I wanted to learn some more about OCing. I got a gun as a gift from my dad and he suggested this site. Is that a problem?

Good enough for me. But, the tone from your first post was indication of an anti. IMHO

Had you started-out by asking about CC or OC in Michigan, for example, it would have been much different.

But anyway, welcome to OCDO and sorry for the abrupt reply of mine.

Michigander

imported post

As I said, I intend all due respect, and I am not trying to insult you, but you still haven't provided specific and convincing information. I am not trying to call you a liar, but it's still hypothetically possible that you gathered a few snipets of information from various places, and then posted.

This site is all about specifics where they are due, and in the case of someone trying to get a law passed based on the actions of someone from this site, we are going to want names and such.

As I said, I don't recall Venator actually saying he went to the Capitol, and I am eagerly awaiting his word on this. If he did go there, and as you say children were upset, I would call that a learning experience for them. Adults all over this state carry guns, and they should know that from school. School is supposed to teach them about the world around them. If it doesn't, and they get offended because of their lack of education, it isn't exactly grounds for a new law.

If you want to learn more about us, I'd suggest you come to the next scheduled meeting.

95grad

imported post

I'm sorry too. I was trying to be helpful and pass along what I had heard "on the streets". It wasn't my intent to upset anyone. My friends work in government and love to talk about what's going on. I thought that I was giving a "heads up".

Again, I hope there's no hard feelings and I will be around here often. I'm new and I'm learning.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

95grad wrote:
I'm sorry too. I was trying to be helpful and pass along what I had heard "on the streets". It wasn't my intent to upset anyone. My friends work in government and love to talk about what's going on. I thought that I was giving a "heads up".

Again, I hope there's no hard feelings and I will be around here often. I'm new and I'm learning.

There's not any, that's all behind us now...lets move forward not backwards. ;)

Like Michigander mentioned, try to attend some of our meetings.

Edit to add:

We are all learning here...you are not alone on this ride.

95grad

imported post

I didn't name names of legislators because I don't want to put my friends in a position to lose their jobs. You can understand that, right? I was just hoping to get some of their inside information and pass it along. I didn't think it would be this big of a deal.

I'm not questioning what he did or did not tell you. I just know what my friends said and they said there was a man in the Capitol week before last with a gun. Once I came here and saw his post about it, I put 2 and 2 together and figured it must have been him. If it wasn't him, then I'm very sorry.

I'm not trying to make waves.

Michigander

imported post

I doubt sincerely that anyone else has recently OC'd anywhere near there without a police uniform on.

But I must say, whoever introduces the bill would be on public record. It would be pretty easy to figure it out who your friend works for, if this legislation were to be proposed. This thread is a public record, and anyone anywhere in the world with google could do it.

If you are indeed being honest, I sincerely thank you for the heads up, welcome you to the site, and I would suggest that you PM Venator with all relivant information that you want kept confidential. He is very trust worthy, pretty much the hands down leader of OC in Michigan, and if anyone here would need to know what's going on with this, it would be him.

harley2003rkc

imported post

So let me see if I got this right.....

"Allegedly" Venator OC'd at the capitol the weekend before last.

Some kids tooks note of it. (More than likely an overzealous teacher took note)

One or more citizens called and complained about Venators right to carry.

And now some Jackazz is wanting to sponsor a bill to ban something that has never been a problem in the history of this great state!

Did I get all that right? Because if I did, I think its time we mustor up a protest at the capitol concerning all the free time these morons we've elected seem to have. What on gods green earth could possibly justify banning something that has never been a problem? Areyou tellingthat these pinheads are now using our legislature to make preemptive strikes against our rights?:cuss:

mastiff69

imported post

Just got off the phone with Venator said that his pc is down and that he will comment on the Saturday afternoon shootout at 3pm about the Capital oc experience, and until then please keep your shorts on:lol:. He said he needs to know who the Senator or Representative was that is considering a bill???? on the banning of firearms at the Capital Building:banghead:.

He wants to contact this person to verify if this is true
:uhoh:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Even if they made it a "Gun Free Zone" you could still Open Carry !!

If you have a CPL you can carry openly in the gun free zones. An AG opinion No. 7073 states ....Thus, any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol, including a private investigator, is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore possess firearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

Michigan State Patrol position:
Your analysis is correct. Non-CPL pistol free zones do not apply to CPL holders. The CPL pistol free zones only apply to CPL holders carrying a concealed pistol. Therefore, a CPL holder may openly carry a pistol in Michigan's pistol free zones.

Sincerely,
Sgt. Thomas Deasy, MichiganState Police
Executive Resource Section, 714 S. Harrison Rd.
East Lansing, MI48823
(517) 336-6441

Michigander

imported post

One more thing I want to add, I just now noticed Venators thread saying he will be discussing his OCing "In the State Capitol" must mean the capitol building. I thought he meant the capitol city, because he spoke of that at the last meeting, and gave no further details in the thread, but I guess this must have been more recent? So as I said in my PM, I apologise for jumping on you. To say the least, it was a strange way to introduce yourself, and the fact that your dad knew the site, but your politician friends didn't, that threw up an instant flag of suspicion with me. Plus your desire for anonymity, despite nothing being anonomous about lawmaking. It sounded rather fishy, like you were trolling. But it appears I was wrong, so again, I'm sorry.

What I do suggest 95grad, quite strongly in fact, is that if you are legitimately concerned with people's jobs being potentially lost over the leak of this information, is that you contact one of the moderators, and have this thread deleted. Those who can benifit from this this information have it now anyway. And any future insider information that you'd like to share, I'd definitely say you should PM straight to Venator.

If it's convenient, I hope you can make it out to our next meeting.

95grad

imported post

I apologize again and I realize I came on strong. My friend is a staffer and is pretty new. His boss is a freshman lawmaker. Anyway, his boss is starting to back away from his original stance, because there are quite a few legislators who carry.

There's an 80% chance if not more that nothing will come of this, but it is the talk of the Capitol especially with all the LEO's they have working in the building (MSP and lots of retired LPD, Eaton Co., etc)

harley2003rkc

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
I fail to see the relevance of "kids" being in the vicinity has to do with my lawful carry.... Unless they try to mug/rape/murder me or mine, what is the problem?

Its the usual reference to all the kids that have been saved by banning swimming pools, skate boards, and cars.

Sarcasm off.