• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First solo OC

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
SNIP The officer doesn’t care if he has your consent or not.

If he doesn't have genuine reasonable suspicion, he'd better care whether he has my consent.

That's the whole point of expressing the refused consent. From that instant forward, if he does not have reasonable suspicion and detains me further, his personnel file is in jeopardy. If he is working from some personal bias,is in error on his law,is making up the law as he goes along, is enforcing his personal opinion, it doesn't matter.

Its really all aboutleveraging your negotiating position. Maximizing your defenses. Setting up the situation so you can push back that much harder once you areout of their hands.

As long as I refuse consent to the encounter, I don't have to ask if I am free to go.I don't have to establish by further questions during the encounter whether he has reasonable suspicion.It ispre-arranged thatif he does not have reasonable suspicion and I refuse consent, I amautomatically free to go. Its his failure to do so that gets him in trouble. Also, if he doesn't let me go the instant I refuse, I can immediately assume that I am being detained without asking even one more question.No haggling later over whether my ID in his handsconstitutes a detention, no haggling later over whether he and hisbuddypositioned themselves to block my exit, no haggling over whether he phrased his inquiries as requests but used an authoritative tone ofvoice. Those pointsall become moot. Consent was expressly refused.

Itthen becomes just a matter of finding outwhether reasonable suspicion exists(ed). Either during the detention or after the detention when I FOIA the 911 call and dispatcher traffic.

None of this is to say that you can't ask whether you're being detained, what the reasonable suspicion is, whether you're free to go. I'm sayingfirst refuse consent to the encounter. Ask all the questions you can. But do it after refusing consent to theencounter. No matter what else happens after that during the encounter, if you refused consent, and it turns out he did not have reasonable suspicion to justify a detention, you're on solid ground with a complaint.

Venzor

imported post

I just got off the phone with the Wal-Mart manager of that store. I tried calling for the regional manager about the issue, but was told that issues regarding policies are left to the store, so I should speak with a manager there.

When I spoke to the manager about the event, she sounded genuinely shocked to hear about the actions of the one who asked me to leave and threatened me with trespass, but the manager mentioned that they would appreciate it if the guns aren't seen, despite not having a policy against it. She said that surely I can understand with all of the robberies locally and shootings nationally, and I responded with a laugh and said 'precisely why I carry'. I told her I respected their concern, and that I'd be taking my business to a more welcoming Wal-Mart.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Venzor wrote:
SNIP I just got off the phone with the Wal-Mart manager of that store.
Sounds reasonable.

I usually advocate a soft touch with stores and so forth.

I wonder if it might work to give the manager a chance to look into the policy, acknowledgeher concern, gether understanding that you're a good guy, and then OC as always. It might be away to win another person to our side.

sccrref

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Venzor wrote:
Sounds reasonable.

I wonder if it might work to give the manager a chance to look into the policy, acknowledgeher concern, gether understanding that you're a good guy, and then OC as always. It might be away to win another person to our side.
Another tack may be to say that you have never seen a robber wear their gun on their hip in a holster for the world to right before they robbed a store/person.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sccrref wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Venzor wrote:
Sounds reasonable.

Another tack may be to say that you have never seen a robber wear their gun on their hip in a holster for the world to right before they robbed a store/person.

I have used thatwith moderate success.

Good point. Thanks for bringing it up.