• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Growing numbers seeking permits for concealed handguns

Thundar

imported post

link here:

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/04/growing-numbers-seeking-permits-concealed-handguns

The original article had a picture and a pull town tab that I could not load.

Growing numbers seeking permits for concealed handguns

By Dave Forster
Kristin Davis
The Virginian-Pilot
© April 11, 2008

SUFFOLK

Christopher Corbett exercised one of his new rights soon after turning 21: He applied for a concealed-handgun permit.

He said his father, a police officer who has "seen the worst of the worst," was adamant.

"People should be able to protect themselves without worrying if the police are going to get here in time," Corbett said.

The number of applications for concealed-handgun permits is soaring across Virginia, including in Hampton Roads. People don't have to state a reason when they apply, so no one can say with certainty what's driving the trend.

But theories abound.

Some in the firearms industry say it's a response to the Virginia Tech shootings or the crime coverage of today's continuous news cycle. Some of the increases in recent years may have been the result of expiring permits sought after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. One gun shop owner even pointed to the uncertainty of the upcoming election.

Robert Marcus of Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk said demand for the weekly concealed-carry instruction course there is so high that he added another class this week. The sessions take 35 people each.

Marcus said nearly 100 more have signed up for an online course that he began offering April 3.

Locally, Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Portsmouth all saw spikes in permit applications in 2007, but Suffolk saw the largest increase by percentage.

The sprawling, historically rural but fast-growing city saw applications jump 58 percent last year, and the first three months of 2008 have it on pace for another record, thanks to applicants such as Corbett and Donald Ryan.

Ryan, 72, sought a permit this year for the first time. Health problems have put him in a wheelchair, and he and his wife live at the end of a long street.

"There's some really sick people out there," he said.

A former police evidence technician who served in the Navy, Ryan said he's been around firearms all his life.

Getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon comes with "an awesome responsibility," he said. Guns should be used only "if you are in fear of your life - period," he said. "Property crimes don't count."

This week he opened a letter from the sheriff's office letting him know that his application is almost through the system.

On the notice were the words of caution that Suffolk Sheriff Raleigh Isaacs Sr. includes for each applicant:

"I would like to remind you as to the careful handling of firearms under the watchful eye of children."

The number of concealed-carry permits in Virginia first soared in 1995, the year that the law was liberalized to give judges less discretion in denying permits. Applications jumped to 32,869 - nearly four times the 1994 total, according to numbers compiled by the Supreme Court of Virginia.

The statewide number, which includes applications for both new permits and renewals, spiked again in 2002. Permits are good for five years until they must be renewed, so some of those post-9/11 applicants likely contributed to the recent surge.

Statewide, applications jumped about 61 percent last year from 2006, to about 44,000, according to the Supreme Court figures. As of Thursday, the Virginia State Police database contained 152,267 active concealed-carry permits.

Applicants must be at least 21 and pass a criminal background check. They also have to answer a number of questions, including whether they are subject to a restraining order or are addicted to a controlled substance. They also must prove they have received safety training.

In Suffolk, 194 people applied in the first three months of 2008. Scott Brown was among the 93 seeking a new permit, not a renewal.

Brown, 52, applied in February, months after relocating from Colorado. He said he has owned guns since childhood.

"I've always felt that was one of the responsibilities of citizenship," Brown said. "Every once in a while, we've got these nut cases that just start shooting people. We would complicate the lives of criminals if we all carried guns."

Virginia Citizens Defense League President Philip Van Cleave said highly publicized shootings such as the one at Virginia Tech remind people that the government can't always protect them.

"The police can't be everywhere at once," he said. "If they can't be there, you've got a choice - e ither die or protect yourself. More and more people are looking at it that way."

Dave Forster, (757) 222-5563, dave.forster@pilotonline.com

Kristin Davis, (757) 222-5555, kristin.davis@pilotonline.com

hsmith

imported post

Lets shoot [har har] for 200,000 by years end! :D

Just imagine if they were all VCDL members as well, VCDL would be a force to be reckon with in VA (not that it isn't already ;)).

zoom6zoom

imported post

Thanks for posting the link. I had heard this story on WMAL earlier today, but couldn't find any citation to post with it.

Now if we could get even half those folks to OC and/or join VCDL we would OWN this state!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Perhaps we should all try to get at least one new person to apply for a CCW this year.

This whole self-defense/CCW/OC issue is growing by leaps and bounds these days. More newbies here and at VCDL all the time. More media attention and visibility. More dinner groups and other social gatherings. More high profile public events like Lobby Day at the state Capitol.

Maybe sometime this summer we shoud have a statewide get together in the Richmond area for the whole lot of us. A picnic would be fun, but there's the risk of its being rained out. Any interest?? Any ideas???

XD40coyote

imported post

I have a feeling there has a been a huge surge in applications and in renewing expired permits, in all of the shall-issue states, since last april. VA Tech seems a good motivator, even with lack of campus carry. Just woke people up, like 9/11 did. I was looking at FL data a few months ago, they had a big surge last april. I can attest to the fact that VA Tech is what got me back into the gun issues again after a very long period of personal non-interest.

MD residents have been flooding FL for nonres permits as part of the the surge. Some one at MDshooters talked to someone at the permit office who mentioned that there were " alot of applications from MD lately". This allows us poor souls to ccw in 27 states, including VA and PA, but not our own home state! It is really maddening, but at least we can travel about out of state and be safer. I will be applying for a FL permit myself when the local place has the next permit prep day. I may rarely use it, but I feel like I am "sticking it to the man", the "man" in this case is3 peices of crap in MD- the guv, Senator Frosh, and House rep Vallaro. They can kiss my ass LOL- I spend most of my money in PA and through mail ordering from other states. The most MD gets is me supporting other small businesses like the auto garage or vet, or to buy gas once in a while ( I mainly buy gas in PA even though they have this new gas tax- it is much closer to go to).

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Perhaps we should all try to get at least one new person to apply for a CCW this year.

This whole self-defense/CCW/OC issue is growing by leaps and bounds these days. More newbies here and at VCDL all the time. More media attention and visibility. More dinner groups and other social gatherings. More high profile public events like Lobby Day at the state Capitol.

Maybe sometime this summer we shoud have a statewide get together in the Richmond area for the whole lot of us. A picnic would be fun, but there's the risk of its being rained out. Any interest?? Any ideas???
Great idea Dutch thats how grassroots movements get going. In my new shop at work one of my new co workers has OCd and is applying for his CHP and his wife has OCd now.

Shovelhead

imported post

Just renewed mine, took 43 days in Arlington County.

They tried to tell me i needed to submit a new fingerprint card with the renewal application.

I told them "Not acording to the Virginia State Police website"

Was then told that I didn't need to be fingerprinted again......:p

Good for 5 more years (or until they pass the "Lifetime Permit" law)

hsmith

imported post

Shovelhead wrote:

They tried to tell me i needed to submit a new fingerprint card with the renewal application.

I thought it was passed, just not funded

saluney

imported post

Could we request public information from the state police data base and solicite for new members. Maybe send out brouchures to all these new permit holders with our mission statement. ;) The Roanoke Times used this tactic. We could'nt get this information protected so why use it to our advanage. :shock: Stan

Neplusultra

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:

A picnic sounds great for a statewide get together, but it should be someplace with a range :^).

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wife is getting one soon.

I think Obama will do something to put a kibosh on new Concealed Carry permits, like maybe shut down the NICS "to fix the system" until he can put in place some illegal laws to limit the states to all have concealed carry laws like in maryland - i.e. you don't get one.

I don't know if shutting down the NICS database access would affect us in Virginia or not, but I don't really want to find out.

My kids are under 10, so they will have to wait :D

Shovelhead

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Shovelhead wrote:

I thought it was passed, just not funded
Same - Same.....you'll still have to renew every 5 years until you hear otherwise.