• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philly mayor signs illegal gun laws

stevemark

imported post

Link to the story;

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/20080411_Nutter_defiantly_signs_five_gun_laws.html

And some highlights;

"Mayor Nutter likened himself and City Council members yesterday to the band of rebels who formed this country as he signed five new gun-control laws that defy the state legislature and legal precedent."

"The five laws - called everything from unconstitutional to criminal by critics - do the following:
Limit handgun purchases to one a month.
Require lost or stolen firearms to be reported to police within 24 hours.
Prohibit individuals under protection-from-abuse orders from possessing guns if ordered by the court.
Allow removal of firearms from "persons posing a risk of imminent personal injury" to themselves or others.
Outlaw the possession and sale of certain assault weapons."

stevemark

imported post

"Allow removal of firearms from "persons posing a risk of imminent personal injury" to themselves or others."

I could see this one being used to disarm OC'ers.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Why don't they work on fixing the huge problem of cars before they worry about guns? I mean, cars kill thousands of people every year. There are millions of cars out there, almost anyone can get one, no one really regulates what people do with them, and children have access to them every day! It is a huge problem, and it must be fixed. Let's start by making gas expense; if they can't afford gas, the car is unless. (sounds like the relationship between guns and ammo, huh?)

Sarcasm...it is the only way to deal with politicians communist policies without blowing a brain fuse because it ticks me off so bad.:banghead:

possumboy

imported post

stevemark wrote:
"Mayor Nutter likened himself and City Council members yesterday to the band of rebels who formed this country as he signed five new gun-control laws that defy the state legislature and legal precedent."

"...the band of rebels who formed this country..."?

Sound more like the King's rules to remove weapons from the "...the band of rebels who formed this country..."

Whatever makes him feel important I guess. Comparing yourself to our founding fathers. They were the first of our country to ignore gun laws.

I'm sure that would work out in court...

Judge: Possumboy, why did you buy more that OGaM?
Possumboy: I want to feel like "...the band of rebels who formed this country..."?
Judge: Hope that helps you jail time go quickly.

Rains

imported post

Yeah...somehow, if my memory of history serves me, I recall that the "...band of rebels who formed this country..." did so by using firearms, not banning them. Or am I simply dreaming up this thing called the Revolutionary War? :?

Or perhaps we just told the English when they got here that guns were banned, so they said screw it and turned around and went home, and thats all she wrote...?

All I can do is laugh at this story because it is so crazy. In the end itll get struck down and the mayor will complain about race or some other BS subject to try and attract attention.

rofl!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"If we all sat around bemoaning what the law was on a regular basis," Nutter said. "I'd probably still be picking cotton somewhere as opposed to being mayor of the city of Philadelphia."
Still? When did he first start? Where and when did he pick cotton and for how long?

That comment in it's entirety certainly shows his perspective on things.

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Doesn't PA state law preempt all this?

Very much so.
[line]§ 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition. (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
(a.1) No right of action.--
  1. No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement, injunctive relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.
  2. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.
[line]Oh, and then as far as the penalty goes...
[line]§ 6119. Violation penalty. Except as otherwise specifically provided, an offense under this subchapter constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Deanimator

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Doesn't PA state law preempt all this?

Yep, and any cop stupid enough to enforce preempted law pierces his own qualified immunity, leaving himself open to civil litigation as in the case of that cop in the Norfolk false arrest and battery.

Anybody who'd risk putting his own family out on the street to push Nutter's agenda is a fool.

Rains

imported post

Deepdiver: rofl:lol:rofl:lol:rofl:lol: I was mistaken. He isnt /going/ to bring race into it. He already has ;) Apparently he's all over playing the 'racial guilt trip' card, which just makes me cringe.

---------------------------------------------

Tomahawk: "Doesn't PA state law preempt all this?"

If I read correctly, these laws do seem to step all over the State's feet. The problem with this (and almost any) situation goes something like this:

-You go into a store and you try and buy your second handgun this month :uhoh:-

Clerk: Denied. City law, and they have my business license so...tough luck.

And thats the end of it, since you cant well force the clerk to violate any law, legal or otherwise. So, even though its illegal, you still eat the ass end of it because once the law is on the books, the people that put it there have no work to do. It always falls on the people who are right to spend their time and money to prove that the law is wrong. Plus, it doesnt help knowing that laws are far harder to repeal than they are to add (bad in this case, good in other cases).

And this doesnt even address the issue of the idiot that put the law there in the first place. This simply addresses the law itself (which Im thinking is leaps and bounds easier than addressing the ignorance of people).

imperialism2024

imported post

Rains wrote:
The problem with this (and almost any) situation goes something like this:

-You go into a store and you try and buy your second handgun this month :uhoh:-

Clerk: Denied. City law, and they have my business license so...tough luck.

And thats the end of it, since you cant well force the clerk to violate any law, legal or otherwise. So, even though its illegal, you still eat the ass end of it because once the law is on the books, the people that put it there have no work to do. It always falls on the people who are right to spend their time and money to prove that the law is wrong. Plus, it doesnt help knowing that laws are far harder to repeal than they are to add (bad in this case, good in other cases).

And this doesnt even address the issue of the idiot that put the law there in the first place. This simply addresses the law itself (which Im thinking is leaps and bounds easier than addressing the ignorance of people).
Good point.

So, that means it's time for an "assault weapon" OC walk, then? :)

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm, another applicable state law...

§ 5301. Official oppression. A person acting or purporting to act in an official capacity or taking advantage of such actual or purported capacity commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if, knowing that his conduct is illegal, he:
  1. subjects another to arrest, detention, search, seizure, mistreatment, dispossession, assessment, lien or other infringement of personal or property rights; or
  2. denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity.
[line]
And this one applies to Nutter's handlers, I think:

§ 5904. Public exhibition of insane or deformed person. A person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree if he exhibits in any place, for a pecuniary consideration or reward, any insane, idiotic or deformed person, or imbecile.

XD40coyote

imported post

"nutter", term used often in the UK to describe a person who is "off their rocker", or just plain mentally incompetent to the point of annoyance. My interpretation of the term at least. Somebody who is a mayor of a big PA city is living up to his name.