• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philly mayor signs illegal gun laws

Flintlock

imported post

possumboy wrote:
Judge: Possumboy, why did you buy more that OGaM?
Possumboy: I want to feel like "...the band of rebels who formed this country..."?
Judge: Hope that helps you jail time go quickly.
LOL :lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There isa development inthe story.

And look who seems to be pitching in! None other than Washington DC's former police chief, Charles Ramsey!!! Once a gun-controller, always a gun-controller, eh?

http://tinyurl.com/4x5ayc

Excerpted from CBS3.com

Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham said changes made under controversial gun legislation signed into law by Mayor Michael Nutter without the approval of the state will not be upheld.

During a City Council meeting Tuesday, Abraham stated she admired the efforts of City Council and the Mayor, but added she could not approve criminal charges stemming from arrests under the five new laws instated last week....

..."I'm hopeful, through our law department and the research we've done, that we might be able to demonstrate to the district attorney that these bills are defensible," Mayor Nutter said.

"As far as I am concerned, the laws are valid and we will act as if this whole conversation with the D.A. just didn't take place," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.

Hat tip to David Hardy at http://www.armsandthelaw.com,

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:
There isa development inthe story.

And look who seems to be pitching in! None other than Washington DC's former police chief, Charles Ramsey!!! Once a gun-controller, always a gun-controller, eh?

http://tinyurl.com/4x5ayc

Excerpted from CBS3.com

Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham said changes made under controversial gun legislation signed into law by Mayor Michael Nutter without the approval of the state will not be upheld.

During a City Council meeting Tuesday, Abraham stated she admired the efforts of City Council and the Mayor, but added she could not approve criminal charges stemming from arrests under the five new laws instated last week....

..."I'm hopeful, through our law department and the research we've done, that we might be able to demonstrate to the district attorney that these bills are defensible," Mayor Nutter said.

"As far as I am concerned, the laws are valid and we will act as if this whole conversation with the D.A. just didn't take place," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.

Hat tip to David Hardy at http://www.armsandthelaw.com,

What don't these f*ckers understand about "No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components"? I knew schooling in America was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Hang, draw, and quarter 'em all, traitors. :cuss:

I think I need a drink...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
SNIP There isa development inthe story.
SNIP What don't these f*ckers understand about "No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components"? I knew schooling in America was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Hang, draw, and quarter 'em all, traitors. :cuss:

I think I need a drink...

I don't know what they're thinking with their law being "defensible." I don't know enough about the situation.

On the surface, though, it would seem like they'rerather willing to fragment or Balkanize the Commonwealth just to get their way.

"Hey, lets just undermine the legislature's authority and do what we want!"

"Hey, stupid! You get your authority by charter from the General Assembly. You undermine them, you're undermining yourself."

imperialism2024

imported post

Perhaps a more constructive answer from the state might be to start imposing certain economic sanctions on the governments of municipalities that violate preemption. Ok Philly, you can drag you illegal gun laws through the courts in an attempt to scare as many gun owners as possible until the situation is resolved in our favor... but... we are cutting all spending to and within the city limits of Philadelphia. No more funding for education, public transportation, roads and highways, welfare (ooo burn!), emergency response. Hell, cut off their access to state police records, too, and bring their criminal "justice" system to a screeching halt. That would be brilliant. I'm pretty sure the state legislature doesn't have the balls to do that, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they did.

imperialism2024

imported post

Pwned!

Just saw this...

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080417_Judge_blocks_citys_new_gun_laws.html

Judge blocks city’s new gun laws By Joseph A. Slobodzian
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
A Philadelphia judge this morning temporarily blocked enforcement of a package of five gun-control laws enacted last week by City Council.Common Pleas Court Judge Jane Cutler Greenspan also said that the order would remain in effect pending a further hearing April 28.
C. Scott Shields, the lawyer who filed the lawsuit for the National Rifle Association, said an emergency order was needed to allow city gun shops to know which guns they can sell.
The lawsuit was filed late Tuesday, just hours after District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham told City Council members that she believed the gun-control package was unconstitutional and that she would not enforce it.
Abraham said that as a lawyer and elected official, she was bound to obey the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. In 1996, the court invalidated a city ordinance to regulate assault weapons, ruling that the state legislature in 1994 passed a law specifically barring municipalities from regulating guns.
The state Supreme Court also dismissed on the same ground a 1999 move to hold gun manufacturers liable for Philadelphia's toll of gun violence.
Abraham said she agreed with the intent of the city laws but added, "I know that the ordinances are invalid and unenforceable according to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania."
But City Solicitor Shelley R. Smith told Council that "our analysis suggests these laws are defensible . . . if we are sued in court."
Doug Oliver, Nutter's spokesman, said the city expected a lawsuit "sooner rather than later."
"If a court of law is where we'll need to go to force a discussion about how to make our city safe, then that's where we'll be," Oliver said. "As the mayor said, doing nothing is not an option."
The lawsuit arose before the first arrest could be made. In addition to the NRA, plaintiffs include the National Shooting Sports Foundation; the Pennsylvania Association of Firearms Retailers; Colosimo's and Firing Line Inc., two Philadelphia gun shops; and several individuals.
The five laws, introduced by Council members Darrell L. Clarke and Donna Reed Miller, were passed unanimously last Thursday and Nutter signed them the same day.
The laws:
Permit authorities to seek a judge's order to remove guns from people declared to be a risk to themselves or others.
Ban people who are subject to a protection-from-abuse order from owning guns.
Require gun owners to report to police theft or loss of a gun within 24 hours of the discovery.
Ban possession or sale of assault or contraband firearms within city limits.
Limit firearm purchases to one a month and require buyers to obtain a police certification that they have not purchased another firearm within the previous month.

unrequited

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
For everyone's viewing pleasure: Kriminal Bürgermeister Nutter explains his crimes to Stephen Colbert: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AN5IULxQ8y4

<3 Colbert. Lately though, his satire isn't being received as such, especially when talking about gun-related items. It's unfortunate, because in the comedy, people actually lost the point of the satire.

Tomahawk

imported post

unrequited wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
For everyone's viewing pleasure: Kriminal Bürgermeister Nutter explains his crimes to Stephen Colbert: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AN5IULxQ8y4

<3 Colbert. Lately though, his satire isn't being received as such, especially when talking about gun-related items. It's unfortunate, because in the comedy, people actually lost the point of the satire.

Not to mention the obvious fact that Colbert usually goes easy on lefties like Nutter. In this clip he plays the role of the crazy pro-gun right-winger and lampoons himself, validating Nutter's position.

I like Colbert, he's funny and all, but he is what he is.

MetalChris

imported post

unrequited wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
I thought the amount of applause in the context of "limiting gun rights" was absolutely disgusting. I almost retched.