• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT: Contact Governor Perdue NOW

shamalama

imported post

Media outlets in GA are slamming gun owners and adding their own brand of pressure on the Governor:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution: "Nonetheless, the law does testify to the enduring power and political appeal of what you might call the Rambo fantasy. And it reveals once again how easily that delusion can frustrate passage of common-sense gun-safety laws that might save lives. We all know how that fantasy goes, because it has become a stock story in American pop culture: Bad Guy pulls a gun and starts blowing innocent people away; Good Guy pulls his own gun and kills Bad Guy, saving lives and becoming a hero. In real life that rarely if ever happens. But we pass laws like this anyway, almost as a way to pay homage to that cultural fantasy and to placate the dreamers who insist that the law recognize their right, however far-fetched, to someday be that hero."

WMAZ, Macon: "Some Georgia business leaders are urging Governor Perdue to veto a bill that would allows guns in more public places. The proposal passed by the Legislature last week would let roughly 300,000 Georgians with concealed weapons permits take firearms into restaurants, on public transportation and in state parks. Ron Wolf, head of the Georgia Restaurant Association, says his biggest concern is the possibility of more violence. The bill would allow guns only in restaurants that serve mostly food and bans patrons from consuming alcohol if they are carrying a gun. But Wolf says that is nearly impossible to enforce. Officials with MARTA, Atlanta's transit system, also oppose the proposal and say they will have to take additional security measures if Perdue signs it into law. A Perdue spokesman said yesterday that the governor has not decided whether to sign the bill. An avid hunter, Perdue generally backs gun rights. But that support is not absolute. "

Gainesville Times: "Alice Johnson, executive director of Georgians for Gun Safety, called the bill "the deadliest piece of legislation" in her organization's 15 years of lobbying the general assembly. Johnson said the bill would authorize civilians to take the law into their own hands and rely on concealed guns when crimes are being committed and police aren't around. "Ultimately it has the goal of trying to make concealed weapons more pervasive in the community, and we think that's very, very dangerous," Johnson said. "

The Georgia House of Representatives voted 106 to 57 in support of HB 89. The Georgia Senate voted 40 to 15 in support of HB 89. People from all over this great state voiced their opinions to the General Assembly and the Assembly responded. But it's not law if the Governor vetoes it. Write letters and emails, call on the telephone, send faxes, contact other Georgia gun owners and get them involved. We are so close it would be a shame to lose in the 9th inning.

The Georgia Restaurant Association is very publicly urging Governor Perdue to veto HB 89.MARTA is doing the same thing (it is nice to know your tax dollars are being used against your civil rights, isn't it?). The Georgia Restaurant Association has over 3,000 members, most of whom do not seem to know it is already legal to carry a firearm in their establishments (since most of them do not serve alcohol). In addition, the Governor is being flooded with negative telephone calls stemming from the stream of misinformation being conveyed by the news media. Please sit down and write Governor Perdue using your personal stationary or paper. Then, grab the telephone and call him. When you are finished, please take the time to send an email. Let him know you support HB 89 and you would appreciate him signing it into law.
Then please contact members of your family and friends and ask them to do the same.
Here is Governor Perdue's contact information:
> Be Polite
> Be Precise
> Don't Be Long Winded
> If You Call, Know What You Want To Say Before Dialing (suggest writing it down even)
> Use Multiple Methods Of Contact; Do Not Use The Same Message
> Encourage Other Gun Owners To Contact The Governor, But Remind Them To Be Polite (Make Friends, Don't Burn A Bridge)

[size=Methods To Use]
Web Form E-Mail: http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html
Snail Mail (USPS):
The Office of the Governor
State of Georgia
203 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
Phone:
404-656-1776
Fax:
404-657-7332
As always, please exercise extreme courtesy and self restraint in dealing with Gov. Perdue's office.

officerjdc

imported post

Just got off the phone with the governor's office, and I think my phone call went well.

I pointed out to the aide who talked to me that most other states that allow licensed CCW allow carry into restaurants whether there is alcohol on the menu or not, and those states don't seem to have a problem with drunken CCW licensees shooting themselves or other people in restaurants. I further said that I didn't see any reason why Georgia's CCW license holders would be any less responsible than Americans with equivalent licenses in other states are being.

I don't want to lose this bill this late in the session either!

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While not a resident of Georgia, yet (in 2 years to Camden County) I sent this to Gov. Perdue...

Dear Governor Perdue,
I'm taking this time to encourage you to sign HB 89. As I am not a current resident of Georgia, I have plans to move to Camden County in 2 years. Being a resident of Virginia all of my life, I now currently have the ability to carry my gun in many of those same areas and venues in Virginia that are prohibited by law in Georgia. We have not had the gunfights and shootings that the doomsayers are predicting. In fact, the states that do allow the carrying of guns in those areas have not had these problems, either. This is especially true of those persons that posess the license/permit to carry a concealed firearm. HB 89 was thoroughly debated, amended, voted on AND passed by the Georgia legislature. Georgia needs this legislation, sir, and the law-abiding residents of Georgia deserve to have the option to protect their lives wherever they may be.
Regards,
"Double-R"

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Wow, shamalama, that's quite a list of hysteria, right there. I love the way you strung those quotes together!

officerjdc

imported post

shamalama wrote:
bump

:cuss:
I know the feeling. I'm waiting with nervous anticipationto see what Gov. Perdue is going to do with this bill too. Has anyone heard anything about which way he might be leaning on this?